Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Where to sit? Shell Flat Neo

Wife is headed for Bangkok in a few days. The leg from NRT-BKK is in J but on a 788 with the "Shell Flat Neo" seat. (When we fist booked the flight, it was Sky Suite but they swapped aircraft). I know this seat isn't great, I'm trying to choose the best available seat for her.

She generally prefers window seats. Currently available: 3A, 7K or 8K. She's currently in 7K, but seat map is showing an "occupied infant" two rows behind that, in 18K.

I'm thinking of moving her to 3A. Seatguru warns that seat's proximity to the lav may be an annoyance, but her current seat (7K) is also fairly close to the other lav, but with the added concern of an occupied infant 2 rows behind.

Seems to me like 3A would be a safer bet, no? Which would you pick? Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Jal

Narita to lax

for 20k more American points, is first class worth it for the food ?

Is the business class food that much lower than first class food or same ?

Thank you
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:29 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Narita to lax

Thank you
100% worth it for F&B, massive seat, elevated service, Shiseido skin care set, PJs, and lounge access (if not OWE anyway).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Narita to lax

Thank you
I would not say the Business class food is much lower, as the business class food is quite outstanding in airplane terms, the F food is just that much better.

I know UA got US based flyers conditioned to F food just being an extra soup compared to J, for airlines in the rest of the world that is not quite how it works.
rustykettel and hp12c like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Qatar, SQ, Garuda
Question for Arrival Lounge

Does JAL have arrival lounge for business class passenger in Haneda? Will be flying SGN-HND, and is hoping to be able to use the shower room before going to the city
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gtxs
Does JAL have arrival lounge for business class passenger in Haneda? Will be flying SGN-HND, and is hoping to be able to use the shower room before going to the city
There is ot arrival lounge per se, but a business class boarding pass should get you access to the TIAT shower rooms. Otherwise the shower room is only about 1,100 yen.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gtxs
A word of warning though--the TIAT showers mentioned above can have ridiculous wait times. I flew in on a similarly timed BKK flight, and the wait was something like 120 minutes.
If you're willing to pay some money, I'd look into booking a shower/refresh room at the Royal Park Haneda. I tried booking it upon arrival, but it was fully booked as well.

Since I had a full day ahead of me, I had to resort to heading to Terminal 1 and using one of the lounge showers there.

Unrelated question--I have an AY ticket with a domestic JL segment, but on an AY codeshare, I've tried inputting the AY PNR into the JL website, but to no avail. Do I call AY or JL to get seats? Would I call the INTL or DOM desk?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMBResona

Unrelated question--I have an AY ticket with a domestic JL segment, but on an AY codeshare, I've tried inputting the AY PNR into the JL website, but to no avail. Do I call AY or JL to get seats? Would I call the INTL or DOM desk?
Call AY or try AY's website (guess you have tried the latter) JAL normally does not assign seats on code share flights if you call them. But if you try, call the domestic number would be my guess.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Call AY or try AY's website (guess you have tried the latter) JAL normally does not assign seats on code share flights if you call them. But if you try, call the domestic number would be my guess.
Thanks, wound up calling JAL's Japanese line, as AY's USA office happened to be closed when I called. They were able to do it, and I managed to snag the last aisle seat. Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
baggage check through on separate ticket - starting with AA

Hi Folks,

I have a upcoming LAX-ORD-NRT , NRT-PEK as separate tickets (two PNR), with 3 hour connection at NRT, booked with AA miles.
Check-in will be with AA (LAX-ORD), AA said I can check bag into NRT directly, however won't do bag check through from NRT to PEK since its on another PNR.
Some online DPs suggest JAL can do check through on separate tickets but I assume in such cases check-in started with JAL directly.

Do you think I can stop by NRT's transfer desk and ask for help? Or I may have better chance if talking to JAL staff at ORD ? Just trying to avoid immigration and bag re-check upon arriving at NRT.

Thanks for your input.

BR,
Seandr
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA does not offer through check across separate tickets, going in the other direction JAL can check through all the way back to the US.

I don't know if the transfer desk can actually help you. In Changi it is a stated service that you can go to the transfer desk and have your bag retrieved and re tagged for the next destination. I have not heard of a similar service in Narita. You may very well have to go land side, get your bag and recheck it.

It would be worth talking to the JAL team in ORD. Though the gate staff may not be there early enough to manage. Maybe try the JAL representative in yhe lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:30 pm

Thanks ! I will definitely start with JAL representative in AA Flagship Lounge.
In the worst case if I have to go through immigration and recheck in NRT, 3 hour should be more than enough.

Will come back and share my experience later.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by seandr
Hi Folks,

I have a upcoming LAX-ORD-NRT , NRT-PEK as separate tickets (two PNR), with 3 hour connection at NRT, booked with AA miles.
Check-in will be with AA (LAX-ORD), AA said I can check bag into NRT directly, however won't do bag check through from NRT to PEK since its on another PNR.
Some online DPs suggest JAL can do check through on separate tickets but I assume in such cases check-in started with JAL directly.

Do you think I can stop by NRT's transfer desk and ask for help? Or I may have better chance if talking to JAL staff at ORD ? Just trying to avoid immigration and bag re-check upon arriving at NRT.

Thanks for your input.

BR,
Seandr
You might want to ttry to get the back short checked to ORD, then through check the bag there with JL to PEK. At least that'll save the hassle of going through Japanese customs and immigration. The agents at LAX might be more willing short check it as you're unlikely to throwaway a TPAC segment.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
You might want to ttry to get the back short checked to ORD, then through check the bag there with JL to PEK. At least that'll save the hassle of going through Japanese customs and immigration. The agents at LAX might be more willing short check it as you're unlikely to throwaway a TPAC segment.
This sounds a good option, will ask check in staff at LAX. Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

KIX JAL Sakura Lounge - Accessible on Arrival?

Arriving into KIX at 6:05am on JL728 in a few weeks on a J ticket and wondering if I'll be able to access the Sakura J Lounge. Does anyone know if they allow arriving pax access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.