Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by phonehome
Thank you both, very helpful!

On a related note, I was hoping to combine the JEP with the current double-FOP-month promotion (where you get to select 1 month of the year when your FOP are doubled). But it looks like I can't register for this December, as I just earned my status this year. The way the requirements are written, it seems you can only get this the year after the one in which you qualify. Has anyone experienced this?
It is not applicable to the year you qualify, but a benefit for the year you have your status. Qualify for status in 2019, the campaign is available from April 2020
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue Soon, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
Derivative 'What's the best seat?' question here, but I have tried and failed to find an answer on these boards and elsewhere.
On the 788 apex suites with the two cabins (1-3 and 7-8), where would you choose?
I realise the window seats are best and everything except row 2 is open. Advice appreciated!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by SDUKAG
Derivative 'What's the best seat?' question here, but I have tried and failed to find an answer on these boards and elsewhere.
On the 788 apex suites with the two cabins (1-3 and 7-8), where would you choose?
I realise the window seats are best and everything except row 2 is open. Advice appreciated!
Could you qualify what you consider "good" on a flight?
e.g. Solo traveler versus a couple/two travelers, or do you prefer sleep to staying awake and drinking/dining?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Could you qualify what you consider "good" on a flight?
e.g. Solo traveler versus a couple/two travelers, or do you prefer sleep to staying awake and drinking/dining?
Absolutely: solo traveller, this particular flight I expect I will be will be about 50/50 between awake and asleep but I value privacy regardless.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SDUKAG
Absolutely: solo traveller, this particular flight I expect I will be will be about 50/50 between awake and asleep but I value privacy regardless.
There is no simple answer to the question to be honest. It is not like BA where there are two good seats, and the rest range from mediocre to bad. The differences between the seats are rather minimal, so it depends on personal preferences.

Generally i prefer to be as far forward as possible, so row 1. However, if I fly from the US to Japan 1K,from Japan 1A. When I fly to Moscow 3 or 7 on the K side. Back from Moscow 1A. As you can probably guess, the preferences does actually not come from the specific seats, as they are too similar to matter various other factors weigh far more heavily.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, CPH-Flyer. Time to micro-manage my seating choices a bit less!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Has the 'display seat map' link always been available on the booking webpage when you're selecting the fare?
I've always had to start a dummy booking to get the seat map, but I just noticed the link shows up before you get that far.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Has the 'display seat map' link always been available on the booking webpage when you're selecting the fare?
I've always had to start a dummy booking to get the seat map, but I just noticed the link shows up before you get that far.
That's definitely new. But please be aware that it does not show the seats based on your status, but just based on the fare level. So if you are buying the cheaper booking classes but you are Diamond or OWE, you don't see all of your seating options. But as you have not picked the specific traveller at that point, it kind of makes sense to do it this way.

This functionality like this has been on the ANA website for ages, so I guess JL wanted to offer the same as the home competition.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's definitely new. But please be aware that it does not show the seats based on your status, but just based on the fare level. So if you are buying the cheaper booking classes but you are Diamond or OWE, you don't see all of your seating options. But as you have not picked the specific traveller at that point, it kind of makes sense to do it this way.

This functionality like this has been on the ANA website for ages, so I guess JL wanted to offer the same as the home competition.
Ok, so it's not my memory that's failing as I get older. =)
I understand it's not what I'll be able to pick when booking, but it does give a fairly general idea of how open/full the plane can be. I've seen people post the actual fare buckets from Experflyer(?) but I think that's the paid part of the service that I don't have.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Ok, so it's not my memory that's failing as I get older. =)
I understand it's not what I'll be able to pick when booking, but it does give a fairly general idea of how open/full the plane can be. I've seen people post the actual fare buckets from Experflyer(?) but I think that's the paid part of the service that I don't have.
Expertflyer and KVS are the main tools they use to give specifics. I have not really found enough use to pay for these subscriptions yet. But maybe when I get to a point where I have more time to redeem my miles it will be quite helpful.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:25 pm

Flying SEA > NRT on a J Aadvantage award, departing 2.25p. My inbound flight on a different carrier lands at SEA at 12.01p. Seems pretty tight for international check in. So my weird question is: can I check in to my JAL flight at JFK somehow, before I depart for SEA? Or... has anyone ever successfully done OLCI on an international partner award? Both things seem iffy to me. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkgphooey
Flying SEA > NRT on a J Aadvantage award, departing 2.25p. My inbound flight on a different carrier lands at SEA at 12.01p. Seems pretty tight for international check in. So my weird question is: can I check in to my JAL flight at JFK somehow, before I depart for SEA? Or... has anyone ever successfully done OLCI on an international partner award? Both things seem iffy to me. Thanks!
You can do online check in for JL, but the JL counters anyway only open 3 hours before departure, so you are not there that late in the check in process.

That being said, if your inbound flight is on a seperate ticket, I hope that is a carrier with a good on time performance, as any delay that causes you to miss the connection will be at your own risk. And you would either need to find new award availability, pay for a last minute cash ticket or cancel your trip.

What carrier are you flying from JFK?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What carrier are you flying from JFK?
Thanks for the info. Flying JetBlue, JBU63.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by hkgphooey
Despite the fact that I use SEA all the time as my base airport, I'm woefully uninformed about whether or not we have self-service check-in kiosks on that side of security, because I never connect there But if there is, you could possibly check-in and print a pass there. If they need passport verification, both JetBlue & JAL operate out of the A Concourse at SEA, so they may be able to help you at the gate without going out of secure area. At the very least, since the gates are in the same concourse, you could always check to see if GA's can check you in... i've never really tried that with any airline.
Worst case scenario, you have to run outside security to the JAL check-in area, which is near the A Concourse, then back through security... which should be possible.

All options should be possible in the time permitting assuming you arrive right on time - but any delay may be problematic. That flight does seem to have a pretty good on-time performance.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:23 am

Quick question: Do "J-Air" operated flights earn FLYON points?

I'm considering booking one as part of the JAL Explorer Pass (with a 4-digit JL flight number), and on the various JAL webpages they don't specifically mention J-Air anywhere in terms of FLYON earning. It seems to be somewhat of a mystery how it fits into the "JAL group" that they define.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.