Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JALPak

are you a JAL family Club member with her account linked? That’s the only way to share miles otherwise she won’t be able to redeem as a non FLY ON member.
Thanks, JALPak. Makes sense. We've not enrolled in family club, but sounds like something worth doing now that I think about it.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:39 pm

I'm thinking of booking JFK-HND in economy and it'll be on the 777-300ER. Does row 56 have no recline? It's the two seats in front of the lavatory. I'm looking for May 2020 and the front section of economy is already full so I don't think we can risk booking the two aisle seats in the middle in hopes that no one will want the middle seat. TIA!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
I'm thinking of booking JFK-HND in economy and it'll be on the 777-300ER. Does row 56 have no recline? It's the two seats in front of the lavatory. I'm looking for May 2020 and the front section of economy is already full so I don't think we can risk booking the two aisle seats in the middle in hopes that no one will want the middle seat. TIA!
seats with no recline are clearly marked on seat map: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/777.html

looks like every seat can be reclined on 77W
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

seats with no recline are clearly marked on seat map: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/777.html

looks like every seat can be reclined on 77W
Wow, thanks! I was looking on seatguru and it said limited recline, didn't know JAL clarifies on their site.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
Wow, thanks! I was looking on seatguru and it said limited recline, didn't know JAL clarifies on their site.
No seatguru says "may have limited decline", which is seatguru speak for "we have no information, but in order to pretend we are a useful resource we will write something, and hope no one notices how often we are wrong."
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:59 am

Hi, does anyone know how far in advance JAL tends to open up their domestic flights (both cash and reward)? I'm wanting to fly CTS - NRT in February but there don't seem to be any JAL flights at all for sale past November. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by konstantinovs
Hi, does anyone know how far in advance JAL tends to open up their domestic flights (both cash and reward)? I'm wanting to fly CTS - NRT in February but there don't seem to be any JAL flights at all for sale past November. Thanks in advance!
Generally domestic flights have opened 2 months before, except for Saikitoku fares which are opened twice yearly. The next release for Saikitoku should be any day now ("late August") for 10/29/19-3/29/29.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/ticket/

Note that this changes 9/10 and JAL will go to a 330 day domestic reservation schedule.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/dom/330-change/
konstantinovs likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Generally domestic flights have opened 2 months before, except for Saikitoku fares which are opened twice yearly. The next release for Saikitoku should be any day now ("late August") for 10/29/19-3/29/29.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/ticket/

Note that this changes 9/10 and JAL will go to a 330 day domestic reservation schedule.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/dom/330-change/
For non-JMB members and those who don’t hold a JAL card, domestic reservations through the end of March open on 8/27 9:30am JST.

https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/2...920.1565605970
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:22 pm

A couple of questions for LAX users:

1. Does the AA Flagship lounge practically welcome JL passengers? I hold AA Plat Pro (OWS), and am flying J on JL61 (so no access to the QF F lounge), so on paper I am eligible, but I am wondering passengers like me will be subject to denial for capacity control and sent back to the OW lounge. Just learned that T4 and TBIT are connected on the air side and am wondering if it's worth trying it.

2. Do the JL check in counters open exactly 3 hours before flight as stated on the website or they actually open earlier by any chance? As with many San Diego residents flying out of LAX, I have the dilemma of arriving too early or too late due to the unpredictable traffic on the way to LAX.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by kentauta

1. Does the AA Flagship lounge practically welcome JL passengers? I hold AA Plat Pro (OWS), and am flying J on JL61 (so no access to the QF F lounge), so on paper I am eligible, but I am wondering passengers like me will be subject to denial for capacity control and sent back to the OW lounge. Just learned that T4 and TBIT are connected on the air side and am wondering if it's worth trying it.
No issue at all. It is my go to lounge these days when going through LAX on JAL flights.

2. Do the JL check in counters open exactly 3 hours before flight as stated on the website or they actually open earlier by any chance? As with many San Diego residents flying out of LAX, I have the dilemma of arriving too early or too late due to the unpredictable traffic on the way to LAX. Thanks.
Fortunately (or unfortunately), they open the check in counters on time. You could try checking through your bags in San Diego.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

2. Do the JL check in counters open exactly 3 hours before flight as stated on the website or they actually open earlier by any chance? As with many San Diego residents flying out of LAX, I have the dilemma of arriving too early or too late due to the unpredictable traffic on the way to LAX.

Thanks.
You are always subject to capacity control no matter which lounge you use, even the one designated by your carrier. You can try use the AA flagship lounge but the oneworld lounge is just as nice if not nicer.

3 hours
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Thanks.
​​​​​1. You can use the lounge, I have done so with a JL ticket. But I would imagine if they do need to restrict due to capacity considerations you would be first in line to be turned away. Any way, I can't imagine that the Flagship Lounge is that much better than the OW J lounge, it is not that special.

2. I have had varying experiences at check in, opening sharp 3 hours before, opening 3.5 hours before, opening (i guess) 3 hours before but someone was around that checked me in anyway. So I guess the answer is, it depends on the day.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:13 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, Tokyoite, JALPak, and CPH-Flyer

I will try leave for LAX as early as I feel comfortable for not missing the flight, and if I have enough time, will stop by the Flagship lounge to see if I like it.

It would be nice if they could open a drop-off only counter way earlier than 3 hours (either in TBIT or in T4 using AA resource), but I guess that has practical challenges.

It is nice to fly from SAN but J price difference is often so large that I fly from LAX.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I highly doubt you would be turned away from the FL based on capacity restrictions. I use the FL often, even on domestic AA flights, based on my OWE status and have never been turned away due to capacity issues (it does get crowded in the mornings before all the flights to Asia). I would imagine that OWE on a domestic AA flight is lower on the totem pole than someone flying J on a JBV partner.

I actually quite like the FL and have been preferring it to even the QF F lounge recently. I wouldn't go so far as to say the FL is better overall than QF F, but I like the tarmac views, the food/alcohol selection is decent, and the showers are better/newer (I find the fluctuating temperature in the QF F showers to be quite frustrating). Also, the quiet room in the back (by FFD) is a good place for a nap. TBH, I've never visited the Oneworld lounge, but I can't imagine that the Oneworld lounge is better than QF F.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I highly doubt you would be turned away from the FL based on capacity restrictions. I use the FL often, even on domestic AA flights, based on my OWE status and have never been turned away due to capacity issues (it does get crowded in the mornings before all the flights to Asia). I would imagine that OWE on a domestic AA flight is lower on the totem pole than someone flying J on a JBV partner.
Thanks. That makes me feel better. Even in the worst case I get denied, I simply head back to TBIT and relax in the OW lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.