Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by brabb12
In the morning though I thought it's open only for priority pass members. During that time, I can't use the lounge? We are priority pass members also. But that shouldn't matter
Last time I was there, the BA lounge was closed when I got to the terminal from my connecting flight, and still when it was time to catch the Narita flight. But I am not sure about potential PP hours, but that would then indeed need to be based on priority pass.

Edit to add, the BA lounge is not listed on the priority pass website

https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/usa/san-francisco-ca-intl
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:42 am

That must have recently changed for them to remove the priority pass website. Do you think they can go to air Frances lounge? It shows on the Oneworld site.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SFO

Honestly half Sakura lounge is pretty bad and I'd rather have my wife and kid go to a different one if it's more enjoyable.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That must have recently changed for them to remove the priority pass website. Do you think they can go to air Frances lounge? It shows on the Oneworld site.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SFO

Honestly half Sakura lounge is pretty bad and I'd rather have my wife and kid go to a different one if it's more enjoyable.
The Air France lounge is only contract lounge for Qatar Airways, so general OW access does not apply. Only QR passengers. But it is on the PP website.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Hi I have a 19 hour transit in between NRT and HND in business class this month. I arrive 3:30PM the first day and then flight onto my next lag 11AM the next morning. So I was thinking of doing a half day evening trip in Tokyo for dinner and just shop around if I got enough time. My plan is to get to HND late evening and then stay at the airport till Sakura Lounge opens in the morning (take a quick nap?). This is to save a night of hotel. So my questions are:
1. Knowing that the lounge closes at 1:30AM, can I enter the lounge in Day 1 until it closes, and then re-enter Day 2 morning at 6am? or do they have the 3 hour prior to departure restriction?
2. If option 1 doesn't work, is HND safe from theft at night? (in case I fall asleep lol)

If both of my questions are a no go, I might just stick with a night of hotel.

PS. DId anyone see the JMB sapphire match? does anyone know if approved for the status match, does that forgo eligibility for JGC?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:28 pm

In the morning though I thought it's open only for priority pass members. During that time, I can't use the lounge? We are priority pass members also. But that shouldn't matter
I have PriorityPass. In the past year I tried both the BA (which I guess is closed and the new one isn't on PP) and KLM lounge. KLM is smaller but with better food/drink - perfectly fine for me, I'm sure it doesn't compare to most business/first lounges though. I read the same bad reviews about Sakura. I wish my flight was after 25th because then JAL gets access to new BA lounge.

What I just realized is that PP also has food options at SFO T3 in Mustards Bar & Grill which is a real restaurant. Anyone know how this works - i.e. do you have to pay and get reimbursed later or you just scan your PP card instead of paying (upto $28) ? It is on G side whereas JAL is on A, so I think it will require going thru security again.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chwu60
Hi I have a 19 hour transit in between NRT and HND in business class this month. I arrive 3:30PM the first day and then flight onto my next lag 11AM the next morning. So I was thinking of doing a half day evening trip in Tokyo for dinner and just shop around if I got enough time. My plan is to get to HND late evening and then stay at the airport till Sakura Lounge opens in the morning (take a quick nap?). This is to save a night of hotel. So my questions are:
1. Knowing that the lounge closes at 1:30AM, can I enter the lounge in Day 1 until it closes, and then re-enter Day 2 morning at 6am? or do they have the 3 hour prior to departure restriction?
2. If option 1 doesn't work, is HND safe from theft at night? (in case I fall asleep lol)

If both of my questions are a no go, I might just stick with a night of hotel.

PS. DId anyone see the JMB sapphire match? does anyone know if approved for the status match, does that forgo eligibility for JGC?
If you come from Narita, you can only pass security with a same day boarding pass in Haneda. So you will need a landside hotel, or find a caf or similar where you can hang out. The new Haneda Airport Garden with the onsen maybe. Not entirely sure if that is 24 hours though.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:34 pm

I don't think its common for a major international airport to not be open 24 hours which seems to be the case for both in Tokyo.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecrispy
I don't think its common for a major international airport to not be open 24 hours which seems to be the case for both in Tokyo.
Frankfurt closes overnight. Pretty sure Heathrow does as well.

Haneda is open 24/7 in terminal 3. So if you are connecting passenger you can pass transit security as long as there is max 24 hours between flights. When you come from Narita you are in the flow of originating passengers.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Frankfurt closes overnight. Pretty sure Heathrow does as well.

Haneda is open 24/7 in terminal 3. So if you are connecting passenger you can pass transit security as long as there is max 24 hours between flights. When you come from Narita you are in the flow of originating passengers.
Hi, thank you for your answer. So to clarify, even if my transit between NRT to HND is on the same ticket (sorry for a lack of better description, but basically if I am already checked in for my flight out of HND), that I cannot enter HND T3 security until the following day?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you come from Narita, you can only pass security with a same day boarding pass in Haneda. So you will need a landside hotel, or find a caf or similar where you can hang out. The new Haneda Airport Garden with the onsen maybe. Not entirely sure if that is 24 hours though.
@chwu60 - the Onsen (which here includes baths and sauna) at Haneda Airport Garden is usually open all night long - patrons are kicked out between 10am and 1pm for daily cleaning.

https://www.hvf.jp/eng/hanedaairport-grand/spa/

The fee is 4,800, or 4,000 if you go in after 1am.

There is a slightly cheaper all-night onsen called Heiwajima in the local area but, considering the extra effort of getting between the onsen and the airport, especially with luggage being a factor, it’s unlikely to be worth the hassle.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chwu60
Hi, thank you for your answer. So to clarify, even if my transit between NRT to HND is on the same ticket (sorry for a lack of better description, but basically if I am already checked in for my flight out of HND), that I cannot enter HND T3 security until the following day?
​​​​​​
You actually need to reclaim your luggage (should you travel with checked luggage) and bring it from Narita to Haneda yourself, even if tagged for the next flight.

My understanding is that Haneda does require a boarding pass for the same day to proceed through security. And I have seen people turned away at security for only having a next day boarding pass. Admittedly the connections overnight from Narita to Haneda gets a bit cumbersome that way. But if I anyway had to go through immigration and enter Japan, I'd any day get somewhere to spend the night landside rather than a bench in the terminal. It does not need to cost much.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:54 am

​​​​​​
You actually need to reclaim your luggage (should you travel with checked luggage) and bring it from Narita to Haneda yourself, even if tagged for the next flight.

My understanding is that Haneda does require a boarding pass for the same day to proceed through security. And I have seen people turned away at security for only having a next day boarding pass. Admittedly the connections overnight from Narita to Haneda gets a bit cumbersome that way. But if I anyway had to go through immigration and enter Japan, I'd any day get somewhere to spend the night landside rather than a bench in the terminal. It does not need to cost much.
Thank you for the clarification! Really appreciate it! I won't have any checked in bags, so I'm not too worried about that. Do you know if it's as long as it's the same day then it's fine? [Not saying this is my final plan] for example, can I enter security at 12:01 AM?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, National EE
Does Jal still allow same day domestic F upgrades with fee at the airport on AA/AS award?
Recently a few days ago, i tried to ask for it with availability showing 2 seats on expertflyer but the check in agent say not allowed. Was it due to the agent being unsure about the rules or this has changed recently?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zander86
Does Jal still allow same day domestic F upgrades with fee at the airport on AA/AS award?
Recently a few days ago, i tried to ask for it with availability showing 2 seats on expertflyer but the check in agent say not allowed. Was it due to the agent being unsure about the rules or this has changed recently?
It was still allowed on the 25th and 29th of May. Expertflyer is generally quite accurate with availability, but it does happen that EF shows something as available in JAL domestic first when it is actually not, so I wonder if the seats were not actually available and the cabin was fully booked.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 12:19 am

How strict/lenient are JAL with baggage (checked in, not carry on)? I've had both experiences, usually a few lb over the limit is ok, but also some when they don't let it on at all. I guess it depends on general airline policy, how full the flight is and most importantly the person you get.

Is JAL one of the stricter ones? Can I expect some more leniency in the poor mans business aka premium economy ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.