Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zitsky
Duty free whisky prices are ridiculous low or ridiculous high? I may be able to buy some at home or on a future visit to Tokyo.
For age statement, ridiculously high.
Just know what to expect, vs assuming that everything in duty free is cheaper in some way.
It could be that the age statement stuff is hard to find, but readily available at duty free but for a very high price.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
Were in Haneda in December.

Also on our return SIN-HND-JFK is only a one hour layover in Terminal 3. I thought I might do some duty free shopping for Japanese whisky. Ive seen notes it might be tricky to get it through security at JFK or perhaps I can put in my luggage when we recheck on arrival at USA?
Originally Posted by TWA884
It wasn't an issue for us at JFK T8 last year, as I had reported here.
Just be aware that Haneda does not offer tamper proof bags, or at least they did not until quite recently. So if that is a condition for the TSA screening, it is a no go and you will need to put the bottles in to your suitcase, which you will anyway need to reclaim at JFK.
Old May 16, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: JL S/JGC | AS MVP | Hyatt G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just be aware that Haneda does not offer tamper proof bags, or at least they did not until quite recently.
I've never bought anything from in-flight duty-free on any airline before, but might consider it this time when flying back to the US; does JAL provide STEBs for onboard sales?
Old May 16, 2024, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by thecowgoesmoo
I've never bought anything from in-flight duty-free on any airline before, but might consider it this time when flying back to the US; does JAL provide STEBs for onboard sales?
I have never been offered one. Only been offered a 1L transparent bag when I bought items below the 100mL limit.
Old May 17, 2024, 6:50 am

I have a J fare that should allow changes with a fee. I see no way to do it with the smartphone app. There is a button that says something like View/change but no option to change.

Should I call or maybe I can do it on the website? I want to change from SIN-HND JL 38 to JL 36 later this year.
Old May 20, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question

Hello All.... question.... I have a SFO-HND-GMP flight in July in F (C from HND-GMP). When looking at the seat map on ExpertFlyer, for the SFO-HND leg I see my seat taken while the rest of the seats remain unreserved (I know this doesn't mean they're not sold ). When looking at the fare availability, it says F and A are 0. I suppose that 7 other people may be booked and just haven't selected a seat, but that seems odd to me. Then I looked at many days in July, and SFO-HND F is zeroed out on all of them. Does that mean that a equipment swap is coming? Anybody have any ideas?
Old May 20, 2024, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paella747
Hello All.... question.... I have a SFO-HND-GMP flight in July in F (C from HND-GMP). When looking at the seat map on ExpertFlyer, for the SFO-HND leg I see my seat taken while the rest of the seats remain unreserved (I know this doesn't mean they're not sold ). When looking at the fare availability, it says F and A are 0. I suppose that 7 other people may be booked and just haven't selected a seat, but that seems odd to me. Then I looked at many days in July, and SFO-HND F is zeroed out on all of them. Does that mean that a equipment swap is coming? Anybody have any ideas?
It could sound like an equipment swap is being mulled.
Old May 20, 2024, 1:06 pm

Transit question for those who are more familiar with domestic flying.

I have a 7:10am flight out of OKJ (Okayama), connecting to an international flight at HND. The first bus of the day leaves JR Okayama at 6am and is scheduled to arrive at the airport at 6:30am (no stops along the way). I would like to check one bag.

I know the bag drop deadline is T-30 (i.e., 6:40am), does 10 minutes seem safe to get from the bus to the check-in counters?

On one hand airline-transit agency coordination in Japan seems quite good so I can't imagine bus passengers are routinely are missing checked baggage deadlines every day, especially since there is also a NH 7:05am flight so those folks have even less time. On the other hand I really don't want to lose the trip due to something that could have been avoided by shipping the bag to HND and checking it in there (I imagine there is no way they would rebook me to a routing that does not involve HND).
Old May 20, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by Agneisse
Transit question for those who are more familiar with domestic flying.

I have a 7:10am flight out of OKJ (Okayama), connecting to an international flight at HND. The first bus of the day leaves JR Okayama at 6am and is scheduled to arrive at the airport at 6:30am (no stops along the way). I would like to check one bag.

I know the bag drop deadline is T-30 (i.e., 6:40am), does 10 minutes seem safe to get from the bus to the check-in counters?

On one hand airline-transit agency coordination in Japan seems quite good so I can't imagine bus passengers are routinely are missing checked baggage deadlines every day, especially since there is also a NH 7:05am flight so those folks have even less time. On the other hand I really don't want to lose the trip due to something that could have been avoided by shipping the bag to HND and checking it in there (I imagine there is no way they would rebook me to a routing that does not involve HND).
It's tight, but it'll work. There will usually be some ground staff calling out to any passengers with an imminent cutoff for departure to wave you to the front of the line if needed. Since it's the first flight of the day, the queue situation shouldn't be too bad though, especially if you have oneWorld Sapphire or higher.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:51 am

Programs: Japan Airlines
No more bid upgrades on A350?

I recently bought an economy ticket to Taipei near Christmas via one of the JFK-HND A350 flights (JL5-JL 97, class N), but didnt get an option to bid for upgrade. Ive only bought premium economy/business tickets from JAL before and havent flown them since the new A350-1000 came out. I remember being able to bid for upgrades with the PE ticket.

Has bid upgrade not been available for the new A350? Is it because of the booking class? Or is it just a matter of being too far from mid December & I should just wait? Appreciate your recent experience with the A350 economy/upgrade process. Is it better to change to JL 3 with the older aircraft for better economy seats/chance for bid upgrade (or upgrade as a new JGC sapphire)?

Last edited by Mandarino; May 21, 2024 at 12:58 am
Old May 21, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am OWE, travelling from Narita to Nagoya (Terminal 2). Am I able to access the First Class lounge? The Oneworld website talks about domestic and international lounges in Terminal 2. Will I be sent away?
Old May 21, 2024, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by astra19e
I am OWE, travelling from Narita to Nagoya (Terminal 2). Am I able to access the First Class lounge? The Oneworld website talks about domestic and international lounges in Terminal 2. Will I be sent away?
You wont have access. The domestic airside is not connected to the international one.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:20 pm

I will be travelling from Narita to Vancouver. Is it possible to purchase a day pass for Sakura lounge?
Old May 21, 2024, 4:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by greenstuff
I will be travelling from Narita to Vancouver. Is it possible to purchase a day pass for Sakura lounge?
Yes, as long as you have an eligible ticket

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...tional/lounge/
Old May 21, 2024, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
You wont have access. The domestic airside is not connected to the international one.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.