Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Does JL IFE have live TV on international flights?
I don't see any reference to it in the entertainment section of their website so I'm guessing no?
But there's an article on TPG from about a year ago saying JL was adding live TV via Gogo TV.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Does JL IFE have live TV on international flights?
I don't see any reference to it in the entertainment section of their website so I'm guessing no?
But there's an article on TPG from about a year ago saying JL was adding live TV via Gogo TV.
Not on international flights. Looks like Gogo TV is only on Gogo equipped aircraft, which would be domestic flights.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not on international flights. Looks like Gogo TV is only on Gogo equipped aircraft, which would be domestic flights.
domestic 788 will have live tv too even though it is not equipped with GoGo
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Wow I tried ANA F with some lifemiles I had, and it’s not even close to JAL. JAL is 1000x better than ANA. I’m not quite sure how they even compete for business in premium cabins. The lounge, the food, and the seat was hands down better than ANA. Never will cheat on JAL again.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:42 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
I reached Sapphire around August 15th (JMB website reflected). I haven't received my JMB Sapphire card yet. Next week I have a BA flight in premium economy, and I'd like to be able to use business class checkin / lounge access & priority boarding. Am I likely to receive my new JMB card in time for the flight? If not, will I be able to use OWS benefits somehow (maybe my BP will reflect that?)

FWIW I'm able to select seats for free on BA.com, so BA seems to know I am a Sapphire.

Last edited by mhy; Aug 29, 2019 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy
I reached Sapphire around August 15th (JMB website reflected). I haven't received my JMB Sapphire card yet. Next week I have a BA flight in premium economy, and I'd like to be able to use business class checkin / lounge access & priority boarding. Am I likely to receive my new JMB card in time for the flight? If not, will I be able to use OWS benefits somehow (maybe my BP will reflect that?)

FWIW I'm able to select seats for free on BA.com, so BA seems to know I am a Sapphire.
You rarely need the physical card with you to use the OWS benefits. As long as. The status is correctly reflected on your boarding passes (meaning in the system) it will be smooth sailing in most places. The number of times I need my card in a year can be counted on fingers.

As you can select seats for free, the news has reached BA.
Tokyoite and mhy like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: OW-E; AA-EP
Flying NRT-LAX-NRT on a 77W in Premium economy with my wife and toddler.
Are the bulk head seat 17 D,E,F best seat or would it be better to get few rows back?
Is the lavatory in front of row 17 for the J class or PY?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Fluffy_FLing
Flying NRT-LAX-NRT on a 77W in Premium economy with my wife and toddler.
Are the bulk head seat 17 D,E,F best seat or would it be better to get few rows back?
Is the lavatory in front of row 17 for the J class or PY?
Lav in front is shared between PY and J.

I'm not sure there's an advantage to the bulkhead row other than more legroom and able to get out without disturbing your neighbor. As a family group, that's probably not much of an issue. Tray and tv come out of the armrest, so you can't have the tv on during takeoff or landing. You also don't have the same seat back storage pockets. I like the other rows, particularly the back row as those seats feel more private to me.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: OW-E; AA-EP
Thanks so much for the immediate response!

Lav in front is shared between PY and J......
Does the bulkhead seat get bothersome in terms of being near the Lav? Such as noise or light shining thru?

...Tray and tv come out of the armrest,...
Hows the tray? firm and sturdy?

............. I like the other rows, particularly the back row as those seats feel more private to me.

Like the very last row of PY?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Couldnt quite believe my search results -- disappointed that JAL 67 SEA-NRT doesnt have PE! I'd almost have routed fam back with me NRT-LAX-SEA to get them better seats. It seems contrary to what I read: https://onemileatatime.com/japan-airlines-seattle/

ExpertFlyer and the seat map seem to confirm, no PE. Is that wrong?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Fluffy_FLing
Thanks so much for the immediate response!

Does the bulkhead seat get bothersome in terms of being near the Lav? Such as noise or light shining thru?

Hows the tray? firm and sturdy?

Like the very last row of PY?
I've sat behind, but never in the bulkhead itself. I looked through my photos and I don't have one to refresh my memory but I think it's a standard fold over style tray. I don't recall anyone acting as if it was flimsy and it supports a standard PY/Y tray.

Light shouldn't be an issue. As soon as the CAs get up after takeoff, they move curtains across the aisle way which have somewhat of a gusset to keep them closed and block light by the lavs passageway. The door openings themselves are on the opposite wall away from the PY bulkhead. Not sure how much noise or vibration can be observed.

My favorite spot!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
Couldnt quite believe my search results -- disappointed that JAL 67 SEA-NRT doesnt have PE! I'd almost have routed fam back with me NRT-LAX-SEA to get them better seats. It seems contrary to what I read: https://onemileatatime.com/japan-airlines-seattle/

ExpertFlyer and the seat map seem to confirm, no PE. Is that wrong?
Correct, SEA has the PY-less E12 config

JAL to start NRT to SEA
tripmaster likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska
Question for those who know more about JAL's domestic flights: Is there a reason that the ITM-NRT route is impossible to book (with money, anyway) many months in advance? (June 22, 2020 to be specific.) Are they cancelling this route in 2020 or something? Or do they just not make domestic tickets available for purchase that far in advance?

Background: My husband and I want to take a belated honeymoon in Japan. I will book my own ticket with money, and I'll use my miles for him. Right now I'm looking at a roundtrip (paid) business class ticket that is available on Google Flights that includes ITM-NRT-SEA as the return trip, all on JAL. So apparently the ITM-NRT leg is totally bookable when it's part of an international trip. But that same leg is impossible to book on its own. It's also impossible to book ITM-NRT-SEA with my Alaska miles. So I had been thinking of just getting the NRT-SEA flight for my husband using my Alaska miles, and buying the ITM-NRT as a separate ticket. But no dice -- just can't book that domestic leg any which way. So I'm curious about whether this means the route is genuinely being dropped (doubtful, since it's still available as part of international bookings), or if it will eventually be bookable at a later date? I know that some other airlines in Asia don't make tickets available until just a few months in advance. Is that the case with JAL?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Khaleesi
Question for those who know more about JAL's domestic flights: Is there a reason that the ITM-NRT route is impossible to book (with money, anyway) many months in advance? (June 22, 2020 to be specific.) Are they cancelling this route in 2020 or something? Or do they just not make domestic tickets available for purchase that far in advance?
JAL domestic flights are generally not bookable until two months prior. There are exceptions for certain types of fares & tickets such as booking as part of an international itinerary. This will change Sept 10 when JAL switches to a 330 day calendar.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/ticket/

Very very unlikely, to the point of shocking, that JAL would be cancelling NRT-ITM. I would not worry about that.

ETA: partner award booking is blocked from domestic flights until two months out as well. For more on that or follow up questions on AS partner awards, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...es-thread.html in the AS forum.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Alaska
JAL domestic flights are generally not bookable until two months prior. There are exceptions for certain types of fares & tickets such as booking as part of an international itinerary. This will change Sept 10 when JAL switches to a 330 day calendar.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/ticket/

Very very unlikely, to the point of shocking, that JAL would be cancelling NRT-ITM. I would not worry about that.

ETA: partner award booking is blocked from domestic flights until two months out as well. For more on that or follow up questions on AS partner awards, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...es-thread.html in the AS forum.
Thank you so much! Very very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.