Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Day of departure upgrades to PY is cash only. Though I don't find them very good value though, it is 40,000 from Narita to Frankfurt Mileage earning remains at the level of the original booking class.
Okay, thank you.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA blue
Day of departure upgrades to PY is cash only. Though I don't find them very good value though, it is 40,000 yen from Narita to Frankfurt Mileage earning remains at the level of the original booking class.
Is lounge access included if you upgrade at the airport? Or do you essentially just get a better seat and slightly better food for the 40,000 yen?

Bonus: If it does include lounge access, is it just the BA lounge at LHR or can i use the Cathay Lounge
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mckvakk
Is lounge access included if you upgrade at the airport? Or do you essentially just get a better seat and slightly better food for the 40,000 yen?

Bonus: If it does include lounge access, is it just the BA lounge at LHR or can i use the Cathay Lounge
Lounge access is not included in the upgrade, it would be based on your original ticket. Though if you have a PY ticket booked it would be the BA GC lounge only, as it is not based on OW rules, but on specific JL rules.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA blue
Lounge access is not included in the upgrade, it would be based on your original ticket. Though if you have a PY ticket booked it would be the BA GC lounge only, as it is not based on OW rules, but on specific JL rules.
I understand. The BA GC in T3 wasn't bad the last time i went to Tokyo. Especially the shower and a ice cold beer after walking around London for 7hrs on a hot summer day.
Wish i had access on this trip as well. Been a long time since i've travelled long haul without lounge access.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: SQ/CX
Baggage Allowance

Hi, apologies if it has been asked here before,
I'm somewhat confused with the baggage allowance on JAL.
2x 23KG for Economy

I understand maximum is 23kg /pcs, but does that mean I can have 1x 23kg, 1x18kg ? total limit 46kg or 23kg?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by koohansen
Hi, apologies if it has been asked here before,
I'm somewhat confused with the baggage allowance on JAL.
2x 23KG for Economy

I understand maximum is 23kg /pcs, but does that mean I can have 1x 23kg, 1x18kg ? total limit 46kg or 23kg?
Two pieces, each weighing a maximum of 23 kg. So if one is only 18, you don't get an extra 5 for the other.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:04 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Two pieces, each weighing a maximum of 23 kg. So if one is only 18, you don't get an extra 5 for the other.
and the same applies to the dimension limit
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'm not sure it's that strict. I've had one exceed and one be under and it's generally not enforced TOO strictly. 32kg is quite strict because of labour laws, but 23 seems a bit more flexible, especially if you have status.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I'm not sure it's that strict. I've had one exceed and one be under and it's generally not enforced TOO strictly. 32kg is quite strict because of labour laws, but 23 seems a bit more flexible, especially if you have status.
The agent of the day has some leeway of course.

As soon as you are JMB Sapphire or above the weight limit becomes 32lg anyway so the discussion will die away..

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 23, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:28 am

Thanks for the replies, I Googled and got some unreliable information, and even some tour agent advertising as 2 x 23kg
That's why I asked here. Have no status, guess I will have to keep within 23kg for a 2 weeks trip during winter.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koohansen
Thanks for the replies, I Googled and got some unreliable information, and even some tour agent advertising as 2 x 23kg
That's why I asked here. Have no status, guess I will have to keep within 23kg for a 2 weeks trip during winter.
Just to be very clear, it is two pieces of luggage that is included on an international ticket. Each piece can weigh up to 23kg.

So, as long as you are fine with having two suitcases, you can bring more than 23 kg total.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hi All!

We're flying HND-NGO-HNL on Friday. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO was sold out in business so that's in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way? Will we have lounge access in HND? Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:13 am

Just to be very clear, it is two pieces of luggage that is included on an international ticket. Each piece can weigh up to 23kg.

So, as long as you are fine with having two suitcases, you can bring more than 23 kg total.
thanks for the clarifications
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:32 am

When does JAL usually open their domestic winter schedule for bookings?

As of today, I'd be able to book until October 27 or 28; I am looking for a flight in mid-April 2019. A Japan Explorer Pass would be an alternative, although I'd prefer getting a Class J seat at the time of booking, as I suppose seats to OKA will be fully booked already at the time of check-in.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ZKOKA
When does JAL usually open their domestic winter schedule for bookings?

As of today, I'd be able to book until October 27 or 28; I am looking for a flight in mid-April 2019. A Japan Explorer Pass would be an alternative, although I'd prefer getting a Class J seat at the time of booking, as I suppose seats to OKA will be fully booked already at the time of check-in.
that’s not winter schedule. That’s SUMMER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.