Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Seyan
Again I have to question you hope you can help with this one...
We have made our booking with JAL (11 hours flights FRA-NRT) already a few months ago. We also bought railway tickets at that time to get to the airport aorund 2,5 hours before departure which was always enough time to check-in, do the security check and get a coffee before departure.
Now, because we have some stupid idiots at the airport who refuse to use modern security methods, they (the airport people) say we should be at the airport at least 3 hours before departure because the line at the security check can be very long (45-60 minutes due to holidays). As we can't modify the railway tickets (only possibility would be buying new ones), it can happen that if check-in also takes time, we will be standing in the security line when the last call happens. My question now: how does JAL handle these cases? Are they waiting for us (as baggage will already be inside the airplane), will they try to get us into a priority line (or do I have to mention this to the security by myself if boarding will be soon) at the security check or do they just depart without us?

Yeah, I know, the best solution would be to modify the railyway tickets, but even if we do that that case could happen. FRA airport currently sucks :/
JAL check in opens 3 hours before departure. However, I would not feel uncomfortable being at check in 2.5 hours before departure. JAL will start boarding a 787-9 20 minutes before departure, let's put 20 minutes for a long wait at check in, that would still leave you with 1h50m for security, immigration, coffee and walking to the gate....
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
These days, as long as you have completed counter check in and given luggage, most (reputable) airlines won’t leave you at the security check.
it is a bigger pain for them to change the passenger manifest and offload your luggage.
just make sure to get to the airport check in counter before the 1hour cut off limit.
JAL is one of the reputable airline imho.

are the check in counters after passing airport security??
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
are the check in counters after passing airport security??
At Frankfurt airport, one will face the check in counters first. Your description is what I'd expect from JAL. If we need to hurry for boarding, I suspect JAL would inform the security to get us to the fast line.
But as CPH-Flyer stated, we should have plenty of time.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

I'm hoping for a little guidance here. I am currently in need of one more Y ticket for NRT>ORD this October. I booked the others with AA miles for our trip the day they were released (thanks to tips on this forum). I check the BA and QF sites daily, but I'm wondering if I would do better to just transfer some SPG points to JMB and go on the waitlist for this seat?
I guess I'm asking if that improves my chances at all, or is the JMB waitlist not generally necessary for a Y seat. It is a Sunday return, so I'm concerned that's a more popular route and reducing my chances of getting this ticket. I do understand that no one can predict award availability with certainty, but I'd appreciate more experienced opinions.

2nd Newbie question - Is there still an option to pay to upgrade these seats to PE, depending on availability, at the counter?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Rene23
I'm hoping for a little guidance here. I am currently in need of one more Y ticket for NRT>ORD this October. I booked the others with AA miles for our trip the day they were released (thanks to tips on this forum). I check the BA and QF sites daily, but I'm wondering if I would do better to just transfer some SPG points to JMB and go on the waitlist for this seat?
I guess I'm asking if that improves my chances at all, or is the JMB waitlist not generally necessary for a Y seat. It is a Sunday return, so I'm concerned that's a more popular route and reducing my chances of getting this ticket. I do understand that no one can predict award availability with certainty, but I'd appreciate more experienced opinions.

2nd Newbie question - Is there still an option to pay to upgrade these seats to PE, depending on availability, at the counter?
Waitlisting will be abolished in December for Y tickets, though there is no specification on what happens with existing wait lists. Instead we will get dynamic pricing to confirm awards at anytime at much higher point prices. So I would probably not necessarily advice to transfer points for a JMB wait list right now.

Yes, these tickets can be upgraded day of departure pending availability.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Waitlisting will be abolished in December for Y tickets, though there is no specification on what happens with existing wait lists. Instead we will get dynamic pricing to confirm awards at anytime at much higher point prices. So I would probably not necessarily advice to transfer points for a JMB wait list right now.

Since our trip is in October, does that make a difference?
And good to know about the upgrade option, thank you.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since our trip is in October, does that make a difference?
And good to know about the upgrade option, thank you.
Sorry, no it does not matter. I was way too far in the future in my thinking. Not sure why I was thinking 2019, as October 19 is if course not open for booking yet.

There my well be a point to wait listing, as JMB, but there is no certainty. But if you have the SPG points and are willing to gamble a bit, it is probably your best bet to get a potential seat. The gamble is that if you don't get it, your miles are "stuck" in the JMB account.
​​​​​
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:55 pm

Sorry, no it does not matter. I was way too far in the future in my thinking. Not sure why I was thinking 2019, as October 19 is if course not open for booking yet.

There my well be a point to wait listing, as JMB, but there is no certainty. But if you have the SPG points and are willing to gamble a bit, it is probably your best bet to get a potential seat. The gamble is that if you don't get it, your miles are "stuck" in the JMB account.
​​​​​
Thanks, your input is appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

I wish it's Nov now so it's close the holidays but it's only July and OP is flying in Oct

Here's the cost for upgrade to PY at check-in: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html

Note that lounge access is NOT included if you pay for this upgrade, unless you have ow Sapphire or above.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

Note that lounge access is NOT included if you pay for this upgrade, unless you have ow Sapphire or above.
Our party of 5 includes a ow Sapphire and a ow Emerald. Are they allowed to bring in guests?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Our party of 5 includes a ow Sapphire and a ow Emerald. Are they allowed to bring in guests?
only one guest each
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Hi all,

I'm currently an ANA Diamond looking to switch to JAL, since JAL allows to gift complimentary status to my wife so that my family of 4 can travel more easily. Also that i can enroll in JGC and keep lifetime oneworld sapphire in case i don't travel for work anymore.

My question is - ANA has unlimited complimentary upgrade for Platinum and Diamond, from economy -> premium economy (at the airport if there are seats in PEY, economy does not need to be sold out), does JAL have similar upgrade procedure? Or in the case that economy isn't full, i'll still in be economy without getting upgraded to premium economy?

i spent a couple of hours searching on google and looking at JAL website and couldn't find related answers.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jazzmailman
Hi all,

I'm currently an ANA Diamond looking to switch to JAL, since JAL allows to gift complimentary status to my wife so that my family of 4 can travel more easily. Also that i can enroll in JGC and keep lifetime oneworld sapphire in case i don't travel for work anymore.

My question is - ANA has unlimited complimentary upgrade for Platinum and Diamond, from economy -> premium economy (at the airport if there are seats in PEY, economy does not need to be sold out), does JAL have similar upgrade procedure? Or in the case that economy isn't full, i'll still in be economy without getting upgraded to premium economy?

i spent a couple of hours searching on google and looking at JAL website and couldn't find related answers.

Thanks!
no, you either pay for it or get upgraded only for operational reasons. Stick to NH if you want free upgrades like this.

and there’s no such thing as life sapphire status. Enjoy while it lasts. JL can change the JGC rules at any time. If you want real lifetime status, go for AA, BA, QF, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak

no, you either pay for it or get upgraded only for operational reasons. Stick to NH if you want free upgrades like this.

and there’s no such thing as life sapphire status. Enjoy while it lasts. JL can change the JGC rules at any time. If you want real lifetime status, go for AA, BA, QF, etc.
Thank you for your reply JALPak, i think i'll probably just stick with NH for now. Upgrades to PEY with 2 little ones are pretty nice.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just processed an upgrade request for a return flight, outbound was availble, but inbound is waitlisted. However, I was charged the points for the upgrade in both directions. Is that the normal way? When putting both legs on waitlist, the points are only charged if/when the upgrade clears, and only payment for one leg at a time if they don't clear at the same time. ,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.