Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Hey all,

I did OLCI at T-24 on a booking with a companion (no status, and I'm OWS) for PEK-HND and could get boarding passes by e-mail, however after a couple of hours after I can't seem to get boarding passes for myself with this error: "Boarding pass is not available. Please receive it at the airport." I also cannot cancel or change OLCI in any way, but it's just for me - my companion is fine. Is it a document check? Not sure why only I'm the only one getting it. Any thoughts ...?

(Regardless, I'll be able to know the answer at the airport tomorrow! Just curious about it since it's unusual.)
perhaps an op up is on its way?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JALPak

perhaps an op up is on its way?
Last time I got an op-up on JL post-Amadeus migration I immediately got seat assignments in J upon checking in -- this time there are a few open seats in Y so probably not an op-up. Regardless, if it's an op-up it's the SO who will get the better seat
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:47 pm

Red face Getting from WAS to ITM or HND

I am new to the forum and trying to get me and my wife to Japan from Washington DC area. We have gone on several trips to Europe and would like to go to Japan but without a lay flat seat or something similar we would end up being miserable the first few days there. I am looking to mainly get the biggest bang for my money.

I have just received an offer for the Amex Platinum card with 100k bonus miles and I am wondering if that would be a good choice to sign up and try to get the "free" tickets with the miles I can accrue on there alone. I am hoping to go next August.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make something like this happen.

Thanks,
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmielin
Last time I got an op-up on JL post-Amadeus migration I immediately got seat assignments in J upon checking in -- this time there are a few open seats in Y so probably not an op-up. Regardless, if it's an op-up it's the SO who will get the better seat
so any update on what actually happened?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schnatey
I am new to the forum and trying to get me and my wife to Japan from Washington DC area. We have gone on several trips to Europe and would like to go to Japan but without a lay flat seat or something similar we would end up being miserable the first few days there. I am looking to mainly get the biggest bang for my money.

I have just received an offer for the Amex Platinum card with 100k bonus miles and I am wondering if that would be a good choice to sign up and try to get the "free" tickets with the miles I can accrue on there alone. I am hoping to go next August.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to make something like this happen.

Thanks,
Try the star alliance forum or the NH forum. You can't convert Amex points to JMB and JL doesn't operate flights to IAD but NH does.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Apart from brief seasonal stints, JAL does not operate F to HNL. Currently all flights are operated with full flat J seats. With ANA ramping up on HNL I don't expect a dowggrade of the seats offered on JAL.

Splitting it in to two tickets gives you more options to select carriers, but the overall price in miles may increase.
Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Not for me, as my status and my accruals follow each other on all flights. But yes, if you look at the forums you'll see reports. It is nothing that can't be fixed, just make sure to keep an eye on the FFP information before boarding should you need to. Ask at the gate or check via the airline app. Not saying it always happens, but if you want to change program, I can be more than annoying if it does.
Sure. I have asked JAL about mileage assignments and they basically say that once the ticketing agent (whether it be outside or their own) gets the notification, they can input the miles accordingly.

Maybe it is really the Brits that are troublesome.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
That's just the passenger's point of view. But from the airline's or the program's point of view, you are double dipping and there's potential revenue loss as a result. In fact, AAdvantage T&C explicitly states you can't switch to a different program when you have used the elite benefits, e.g. checked baggage fee wavier.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp

Remember, they are not in the business of making you switch to a different program as easy as possible. In fact, it's their best interest to make this as hard as possible so that they can retain those so called "frequent flyers".
Thanks firstly for the discussion and your explanation. Do you work for JAL?

I would rather think that they'd be happy to do so, because 1st of all, Mileage is a liability to the airlines and if in my hypothetical example, I bought tickets of "X" oneworld carrier but instead chose to book the mileage with "Y" oneworld carrier. "X" oneworld carrier should be very happy because they get the ticket sales and for some minor benefits they can take away thethe obligation to give something back (mileage can be used for redemption, upgrades and it is likely that such assignment will result in a discount in miles).

Secondly, for AA, the benefit you quoted are all in-flight benefits that could otherwise be sold (seating which is the primary calculation of revenue). Lounge access and priority boarding are oneworld benefits, which either are fixed cost with small incremental cost or no cost (rearranging the queue itself cost virtually nothing).

Finally, I think if I weren't trying to maintain two or more programs for flexibility, I might as well try to do "status matching", which is essentially just asking the airlines to give equivalent status such that I will pledge loyalty to another program. Such awful measure would serve to make a "no turning back" switch once it is established.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
Thanks firstly for the discussion and your explanation. Do you work for JAL?

I would rather think that they'd be happy to do so, because 1st of all, Mileage is a liability to the airlines and if in my hypothetical example, I bought tickets of "X" oneworld carrier but instead chose to book the mileage with "Y" oneworld carrier. "X" oneworld carrier should be very happy because they get the ticket sales and for some minor benefits they can take away thethe obligation to give something back (mileage can be used for redemption, upgrades and it is likely that such assignment will result in a discount in miles).

Secondly, for AA, the benefit you quoted are all in-flight benefits that could otherwise be sold (seating which is the primary calculation of revenue). Lounge access and priority boarding are oneworld benefits, which either are fixed cost with small incremental cost or no cost (rearranging the queue itself cost virtually nothing).

Finally, I think if I weren't trying to maintain two or more programs for flexibility, I might as well try to do "status matching", which is essentially just asking the airlines to give equivalent status such that I will pledge loyalty to another program. Such awful measure would serve to make a "no turning back" switch once it is established.
The examples given by the AA T&C are just examples, note the term “such as” is used. It is not meant to be an extensive listing to define elite benefits.

and what makes you think carrier X doesn’t have to pay carrier Y to credit your miles? I don’t have details of these FFP agreements but nothing is free. Someone has to pay for these elite benefits and miles one way or the other.

anyway, my point is do this at your own risk and make sure you read the T&C beforehand.

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 9, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
so any update on what actually happened?
Not sure actually. We just checked in at the airport normally and got our usual seats, but it did take longer than usual - the agent called over a supervisor over “something wrong in this record, I can’t delete it” but the supervisor typed something and the BPs came out correctly. Perhaps some kind of security check, but the agents did not want to elaborate. Nothing to panic about I suppose.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Anyone know when does JAL change the exchange rate they use on the JEP website? Do they do this on a daily basis or weekly basis?

I am trying to buy tickets today and am getting charged about 4 dollars more than the google exchange rate I got.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Would love to book JAL flights fromTokyo to Beijing.
Did not see economy flights available on BA - I wonder whether you see them available on JAL? Or more generally speaking, JAL opens more award space to its own members than to OW carriers? If yes, I tend to transfer some of the SPG points to JAL. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Would love to book JAL flights fromTokyo to Beijing.
Did not see economy flights available on BA - I wonder whether you see them available on JAL? Or more generally speaking, JAL opens more award space to its own members than to OW carriers? If yes, I tend to transfer some of the SPG points to JAL. Thanks!
Over the next 330 days available for booking, I do see plenty of economy seats available. So I guess it really depends on when you are trying to book for.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Over the next 330 days available for booking, I do see plenty of economy seats available. So I guess it really depends on when you are trying to book for.
Interesting - I am looking for 8/31 or 9/1, or dates around and none in economy...

This is what I searched on BA - I was wondering whether this is different when you book on JAL...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Interesting - I am looking for 8/31 or 9/1, or dates around and none in economy...

This is what I searched on BA - I was wondering whether this is different when you book on JAL...
I can't book for those dates either. Nor one day before and after those. I can wait list the dates, but no idea if it will actually clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.