Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JALPak

O class isn’t premium economy
The fare code may start with an "O", but the booking code is P. The full fare basis is OLX08CN1/PAUP.

>$LB1
001 BOSHAN 26NOV18 AA USD 1100.00 OLX08CN1 STAY- /6M BK-P
FARE CLS EXPLANATION BOOK CODES
-------- ---------------------- ----------
OLX08CN1 FARE BY RULE P

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS
VIA AA P REQUIRED WHEN AVAILABLE
VIA AA O PERMITTED WITHIN USA
VIA AA O PERMITTED BETWEEN USA-CANADA
VIA AA O PERMITTED WITHIN AREA 3
VIA AA P REQUIRED
So, the question remains. Why the pricing discrepancy? It it because AA also allows routing via its own metal on this fare? That's the only thing I can think of.

Last edited by swingaling; Jun 9, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:06 pm

Saw business class tickets come and go in < 1 minute tonight. How do people even get through the screens that fast? Is there some strat I don't know about to make it even faster? Even though tickets are for sale on the 6th at 9pm, the JAL screen doesn't let me select it and gives me the "flight date is incorrect" screen. So then I have to click the day before, then on the next screen click the following day which I guess is costing me the 30 seconds it takes for people to fill in their required info on the next screen and select their seats? I'm just astonished that people can complete the process this quickly!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings
Saw business class tickets come and go in < 1 minute tonight. How do people even get through the screens that fast? Is there some strat I don't know about to make it even faster? Even though tickets are for sale on the 6th at 9pm, the JAL screen doesn't let me select it and gives me the "flight date is incorrect" screen. So then I have to click the day before, then on the next screen click the following day which I guess is costing me the 30 seconds it takes for people to fill in their required info on the next screen and select their seats? I'm just astonished that people can complete the process this quickly!
People being on the phone here in Japan when the seats are released, the call center agents may have a quicker way to access the seats?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by swingaling
The fare code may start with an "O", but the booking code is P. The full fare basis is OLX08CN1/PAUP.

So, the question remains. Why the pricing discrepancy? It it because AA also allows routing via its own metal on this fare? That's the only thing I can think of.
AA sets it’s own fares. They can sell it as low as it wants.

I didn’t check the complete fare rules, does it say the AA flights operated by JL can be booked in P?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JALPak

AA sets it’s own fares. They can sell it as low as it wants.

I didn’t check the complete fare rules, does it say the AA flights operated by JL can be booked in P?
I realize that, of course. It's just strange to see such a huge difference on identical flights. Especially when the prime is pricier than the codeshare.

Indeed. TPAC must be an AA flight operated by either AA or JL. Books into P on both JL and AA metal. More options for Area 3 travel, but the flights I've checked all book into P on the Area 3 legs (where P is available).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by swingaling
I realize that, of course. It's just strange to see such a huge difference on identical flights. Especially when the prime is pricier than the codeshare.

Indeed. TPAC must be an AA flight operated by either AA or JL. Books into P on both JL and AA metal. More options for Area 3 travel, but the flights I've checked all book into P on the Area 3 legs (where P is available).
then it’s a really good deal, that’s half off JL E fares!

note that it’s not only limited to P fares. You will see I fares on AA as cheap as (or even cheaper than) JL E fares from time to time when flying on JL operates codeshares.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
People being on the phone here in Japan when the seats are released, the call center agents may have a quicker way to access the seats?
I was on the phone on June 1st (for April 27th 2019 departure), and so did my husband, and even both of us couldn’t get the seats we wanted even though our request were sent the second the clock turned 10 am Japan time. It’s just that tough.

Remember, there’s also competition from people who started lining up at 4 am ish in front of JAL plaza Yurakucho to ensure they get to be (physically) closest to the agent/system..

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85

I was on the phone on June 1st (for April 27th 2019 departure), and so did my husband, and even both of us couldn’t get the seats we wanted even though our request were sent the second the clock turned 10 am Japan time. It’s just that tough.

Remember, there’s also competition from people who started lining up at 4 am ish in front of JAL plaza Yurakucho to ensure they get to be (physically) closest to the agent/system..

I know. Which is why I always plan to pay in cash for my Golden Week travels....
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by bakaneko85

A few highest tier members (above Diamond) can book reward flights in 335 days advance.
It is 5 days earlier than normal award booking period.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
A few highest tier members (above Diamond) can book reward flights in 335 days advance.
And considering basically everyone is Diamond... somehow...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Which is why trying to get award seat on JL on GW is nearly a lost cause. Figured I should try my luck anyway since I was going to have to call to book a oneworld/partner award - my usual strategy for GW.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:32 am

Does anybody know the surcharge would be for Emirates first from US to MLE(Maldives) using JAL miles?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Does anybody know the surcharge would be for Emirates first from US to MLE(Maldives) using JAL miles?
There is a dedicated thread to EK redemptions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1443945-using-jal-points-ek.html

​​​​​​
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is a dedicated thread to EK redemptions

Using JAL points on EK

​​​​​​
thank you!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA blue
I'm having a long layover in London on my next trip, It seems that I'll get 2 bags. If i only check in one at OSL, can i check in the second one in London during my layover if i do some shopping?

Last edited by mckvakk; Jun 13, 2018 at 5:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.