Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by lcpteck
In terms of redemption or paying ticket? Any examples? Maybe some of the more experienced folks can chime in.
My apologies, let me explain in more easier to understand terms.

So I tried to search for paying ticket for following itin via multicity tab (instead of the one at the main landing page), I have no issue in getting avail either EY or C class.
Day 1+1 KULNRT
Day 2 - HND-ISG-HND
Day 3 - HND-OKA-HND
Day 4 - NRT-KUL

However, I had keep getting error if I try to search HNDISGHND leg under "First Class" since they had first class seat. Not sure why so? Do they restrict those international booking with a domestic flight itin from booking a domestic first class seat?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
My apologies, let me explain in more easier to understand terms.

So I tried to search for paying ticket for following itin via multicity tab (instead of the one at the main landing page), I have no problem searching in either EY or C class.
Day 1+1 KULNRT
Day 2 - HND-ISG-HND
Day 3 - HND-OKA-HND
Day 4 - NRT-KUL

However, I had keep getting error if I try to search HNDISGHND leg under "First Class" since they had first class seat. Not sure why so? Do they restrict those international booking with a domestic flight itin from booking a domestic first class seat?
I don't believe you can include an F domestic in an international booking. But I am not certain.
minizian likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't believe you can include an F domestic in an international booking. But I am not certain.
Seem like the case from my attempts, I experienced the same error when I try to book an route with International F class with Dom F class
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
JAL newbie question here. My wife and I are flying American Airlines LAX-HND RT in 02/2023, and we wanted to confirm we have access to F lounge.
  • I'm an AA EXP so OWEmerald
  • Tickets are Y/econ, put in a SWU for J/business
We should have access to JAL F lounge regardless of cabin class since I'm OWE on a partner airline. Correct?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Raralith
JAL newbie question here. My wife and I are flying American Airlines LAX-HND RT in 02/2023, and we wanted to confirm we have access to F lounge.
  • I'm an AA EXP so OWEmerald
  • Tickets are Y/econ, put in a SWU for J/business
We should have access to JAL F lounge regardless of cabin class since I'm OWE on a partner airline. Correct?
Yes, per oneworld policy, emerald and one guest will have access to F lounge.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Seem like the case from my attempts, I experienced the same error when I try to book an route with International F class with Dom F class
I can't remember where I read it but yeah if it's an international C, then domestic is Y. If international F, domestic is C (I guess Class J).

You can try for same day upgrade (based on availability) from C to F during domestic check-in.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/boar...d_upgrade.html
minizian likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hoping someone can help me understand the JAL lounge at NRT. I’m used to the ANA lounge that has a self service buffet of various small things so you can have a light snack or order something more substantial like noodles if preferred.

When I visited the JAL lounge, I could only see either a full buffet with very large set meals or a choice of two tiny little snack bags.

Am I missing something? Or there are no options for smaller appetites?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Hoping someone can help me understand the JAL lounge at NRT. I’m used to the ANA lounge that has a self service buffet of various small things so you can have a light snack or order something more substantial like noodles if preferred.

When I visited the JAL lounge, I could only see either a full buffet with very large set meals or a choice of two tiny little snack bags.

Am I missing something? Or there are no options for smaller appetites?
I have never been to the Sakura lounge in Narita. Except to take some pictures when it reopened after the refurbishment.

But I would guess it kind of suffers from the same point as the first class lounge, when everything had to be ordered from an online app, the number of small items were greatly reduced. They have started putting some out in the F lounge, but nowhere near what it used to be. As the world normalises, I hope we get more of the self service items back again.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have never been to the Sakura lounge in Narita. Except to take some pictures when it reopened after the refurbishment.

But I would guess it kind of suffers from the same point as the first class lounge, when everything had to be ordered from an online app, the number of small items were greatly reduced. They have started putting some out in the F lounge, but nowhere near what it used to be. As the world normalises, I hope we get more of the self service items back again.
Thank you. It seems strange there is no middle ground, no little finger sandwiches, cheese, simple sushi roll, it’s either this humongous meal of rice with curry or noodle soup plus side dishes and other stuff on a tray, especially coming off a JAL flight in J where you’ve already been stuffed, or a tiny little bag of cookie bites.

On my intra Asia connection, they served this nice arrangement of small washoku items that was perfect, then came back with another large size entree and I was so stuffed I couldn’t even have the little ice cream cup.

I saw people have a big bowl of curry with rice and miso soup then have the full inflight meal barely an hour later. I have no idea how they did that.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:02 pm

So I have two solutions to share:

1. large set menus at the lounge - you can just ask for a smaller portion or skip certain inclusions to right-size the meal to your preference. I’m including a couple photos to illustrate

2. the infamous warm cabin - on 787 and 777 aircraft, your business or first class seat has its own climate zone that the crew can adjust without affecting nearby passengers. If you feel it’s too warm, just ask the flight attendant to set the temperature lower (or even the lowest setting) and they are happy to oblige.

Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:00 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Are JAL still doing the 2000 yen on the day domestic upgrades at check in?
My booking is a BA reward booking between HND & ITM. Is this eligible for the 2000 yen upgrade.
What are the chances of upgrades being available on the HND-ITM route? I'm flying JAL A350 to ITM and then taking the Shinkansen on my return to Tokyo.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McG
Are JAL still doing the 2000 yen on the day domestic upgrades at check in?
My booking is a BA reward booking between HND & ITM. Is this eligible for the 2000 yen upgrade.
What are the chances of upgrades being available on the HND-ITM route? I'm flying JAL A350 to ITM and then taking the Shinkansen on my return to Tokyo.
Yes, it is still possible to upgrade day of departure to Class J (a premium economy product) for 2000 yen. All tickets are possible to upgrade.

It depends on your departure, the very business traveller heavy morning flights can be tricky to get, and if you come very late to check in it can be tricky as well. But it is not rare to hear them announce that Class J seats are available at the gate before boarding.

You can also upgrade to first class day of departure, but that is often way more difficult to get. And it is 8000 yen if you can find it available.

First class is only available on domestic A350, 787, and select 767, where as Class J is on all planes except some regional jets and the ATR fleets of the subsidiary airlines.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I can't remember where I read it but yeah if it's an international C, then domestic is Y. If international F, domestic is C (I guess Class J).

You can try for same day upgrade (based on availability) from C to F during domestic check-in.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/boar...d_upgrade.html
Yup it seem it was sat that way.

The route I am going to fly will have only 5 Domestic F class and I will try my luck on the same day upgrade.
To be honest I doubt I will get the slot as I believe there will be plenty of waitlist/higher tier pax queueing up infront of me
Lets see it goes. Not sure if going to check in as early as possible will do the trick or not (eg departure at 230pm but I check in at 10am)
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:37 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Yes, it is still possible to upgrade day of departure to Class J (a premium economy product) for 2000 yen. All tickets are possible to upgrade.

It depends on your departure, the very business traveller heavy morning flights can be tricky to get, and if you come very late to check in it can be tricky as well. But it is not rare to hear them announce that Class J seats are available at the gate before boarding.

You can also upgrade to first class day of departure, but that is often way more difficult to get. And it is 8000 yen if you can find it available.

First class is only available on domestic A350, 787, and select 767, where as Class J is on all planes except some regional jets and the ATR fleets of the subsidiary airlines.
Thanks, I will try on the day.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup it seem it was sat that way.

The route I am going to fly will have only 5 Domestic F class and I will try my luck on the same day upgrade.
To be honest I doubt I will get the slot as I believe there will be plenty of waitlist/higher tier pax queueing up infront of me
Lets see it goes. Not sure if going to check in as early as possible will do the trick or not (eg departure at 230pm but I check in at 10am)
Within each status group, time of check in will matter for the waitlist. But if you are Sapphire, a Diamond member that checks in later than you will be higher on the waitlist than you.
minizian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.