Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DaxOmni
I have an international trip booked through JL with a departure that has moved several hours due to airline-initiated schedule changes. Does JL have a fully free rebook option and if so how many hours of deviation are required to unlock it? First and longest flight is a JL codeshare on AA in case that matters. Thank you in advance!
Believe all ex-US fares don’t have change fee. If you are looking for a flight change without repricing, you can try rejecting the flight change but the your options will be limited.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Originally Posted by JALPak
Believe all ex-US fares don’t have change fee. If you are looking for a flight change without repricing, you can try rejecting the flight change but the your options will be limited.
Lack of a change fee is not much help this close to departure. I only noticed the schedule change by chance and JL had done nothing to notify me. The website only allows me to "decline" the new schedule or request a refund and trying to reach JL left me on hold for an entire lunch break. It looks like I'll have to wait for JL to contact me to see what is available. It's a bit of a mess but thank you for your reply.

Last edited by DaxOmni; Dec 20, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
I got two question:

Q1
In HND, is there any shower within Domestic Sakura lounge/Diamond Premier Lounge?
If no, what is the next best alternative. In the past, I will just hop onto First Cabin and pay their 1 hour fee in order to access their shower room.
Unsure if there any other alternative.

Q2
If Departing from NRT with JL, can I go in and out of the lounge?
Eg, I go into the lounge at 730 am but I went out from the lounge to do some duty free shopping and return to the lounge once done shopping.
Is this okay to do so? Or it is a one way trip (I cant return once I exit from the lounge)?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
I got two question:

Q1
In HND, is there any shower within Domestic Sakura lounge/Diamond Premier Lounge?
If no, what is the next best alternative. In the past, I will just hop onto First Cabin and pay their 1 hour fee in order to access their shower room.
Unsure if there any other alternative.

Q2
If Departing from NRT with JL, can I go in and out of the lounge?
Eg, I go into the lounge at 730 am but I went out from the lounge to do some duty free shopping and return to the lounge once done shopping.
Is this okay to do so? Or it is a one way trip (I cant return once I exit from the lounge)?
Q1 Yes there are showers in the domestic lounges.

Q2 Yes.
minizian likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Random question here— I need to buy a one way ticket BOM DEL to meet up with the JAL flight to Tokyo. Will give myself at least 4-5 hours to connect, since it’s separate tickets.

Looking at Vistara and Air India. Both seem to operate (along with JAL) at DEL T3.
When googling “JAL interline baggage” with AI, only Vistara comes back. Does anyone know if I can check a bag through from AI or UK (Vistara) to JAL? Thanks. With 5 hours even if there is a delay it should be enough buffer time to exit and fet bay if I need to.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Random question here— I need to buy a one way ticket BOM DEL to meet up with the JAL flight to Tokyo. Will give myself at least 4-5 hours to connect, since it’s separate tickets.

Looking at Vistara and Air India. Both seem to operate (along with JAL) at DEL T3.
When googling “JAL interline baggage” with AI, only Vistara comes back. Does anyone know if I can check a bag through from AI or UK (Vistara) to JAL? Thanks. With 5 hours even if there is a delay it should be enough buffer time to exit and fet bay if I need to.
That's a question for the Air India and Vistara forums. It depends on them, whether they are willing to check in across tickets. JAL does have any influence on that.
​​​​
​​​​
Old Dec 25, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Nearing the end of a 2 week trip to the Maldives and India, I had a few tickets booked - a one way Alaska Air mileage ticket on JAL DEL HND JFK was 60K miles in business class. Paid biz was also reasonable — JAL charges around US$1800-2100 for a one way , and Virgin/ Air France Delta is $2000 even buying at short notice. Singapore was $1600 with a 90- day advance purchase and they are usually my favorite.
Anyway, I usually plan way in advance and am locked in on air tickets, but this time I revisited the Alaska site and found that all this week JAL has been dropping First Class award seats on TYO-ORD and JFK. Seeing both HND and NRT departures. Just finalized (probably) and changed that segment to F. Added only 10K more miles!
DEL HND 29th JL Biz
HND ORD 1st JL First (!)
How much Salon is too much Salon? 😂
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat / OWE, SQ KrisFlyer, KQ Plat / ST Elite Plus, BT VIP
This info can probably be found somewhere but of course I'm looking into it at the last minute: does JTA (JAL booking) allow extremely small scissors in carry-on? I only know that AY allows them, but there's probably a lot of differences in this policy between airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: LH HON; UA GS; AF Plat; AA PP
Originally Posted by Purserin painajainen
This info can probably be found somewhere but of course I'm looking into it at the last minute: does JTA (JAL booking) allow extremely small scissors in carry-on? I only know that AY allows them, but there's probably a lot of differences in this policy between airlines.
IME, the small ones with rounded tips are totally fine. I have taken a number of flights in Japan with those and they were never an issue. In other airports (FRA and LHR, for instance) they are sometimes inspected and immediately released. I would avoid having the sharp "pointy" ones, as those might get confiscated depending on the agent you meet ...
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat / OWE, SQ KrisFlyer, KQ Plat / ST Elite Plus, BT VIP
Originally Posted by burg_rtw
IME, the small ones with rounded tips are totally fine. I have taken a number of flights in Japan with those and they were never an issue. In other airports (FRA and LHR, for instance) they are sometimes inspected and immediately released. I would avoid having the sharp "pointy" ones, as those might get confiscated depending on the agent you meet ...
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I have exactly those rounded tips ones.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:00 am

No food on ORD -> HND 13hr flight…

Hi I’m on a JAL ORD -> HND flight, was delayed overnight due to mechanical issue (not weather).

Just checking in the next day we’re told there’s no catering / food (at all) for the 13+ hr flight.

I’m in F class on a AA award. We’re being given gift card compensation to pre-purchase food but arguably most of the difference in F is the catering.

Is there any recourse/compensation approach that’s appropriate? I would’ve rather just taken another Biz class flight on ANA if this was the case and saved the points.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artificialard
Hi I’m on a JAL ORD -> HND flight, was delayed overnight due to mechanical issue (not weather).

Just checking in the next day we’re told there’s no catering / food (at all) for the 13+ hr flight.

I’m in F class on a AA award. We’re being given gift card compensation to pre-purchase food but arguably most of the difference in F is the catering.

Is there any recourse/compensation approach that’s appropriate? I would’ve rather just taken another Biz class flight on ANA if this was the case and saved the points.
They would need to replace the catering if it has been delivered before the issue was known. I do wonder if the winter weather is part of the reason why there are difficulties in re-catering the flight.

I am sure that compensation forms will be handed out by the cabin crew, which will be miles or cash equivalent value via one time visa card.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:50 am

JAL F

First time flying JAL First Class in maybe 6 years. I did fly JAL business class SFO-NRT-CGK in June, and it was good (except for the NRT delay crapshow with every flight delayed 2-4 hours, three of my four flights. Also the 788 slanted business class seat on NRT CGK could have been better. But catering was very good on all four segments.

For this trip I’m in Business Class DEL- HND. Departs 19:55.
Can I assume a full dinner is served and then a small breakfast? On CGK NRT early AM departures, there is weirdly no food served for the first 3-4 hours, then a full lunch.

Staying in Tokyo for 53 hours and then heading HND ORD at 11:00am.
Is the lounge good enough to arrive early? Not sure if it’s really operating everything from 8-11am when I could be there. Can I get a champagne? How about any special food/ drink? I seem to recall some whiskey bar or sushi?

Last edited by kyushuman; Dec 28, 2022 at 1:35 am
Old Dec 28, 2022, 1:25 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
First time flying JAL First Class in maybe 6 years. I did fly JAL business class SFO-NRT-CGK in June, and it was good (except for the NRT delay crapshow with every flight delayed 2-4 hours, three of my four flights. Also the 788 slanted business class seat on NRT CGK could have been better. But catering was very good on all four segments.

For this trip I’m in Business Class DEL- HND. Departs 19:55.
Can I assume a full dinner is served and then a small breakfast? On CGK NRT early AM departures, there is weirdly no food served for the first 3-4 hours, then a full lunch.

Staying in Tokyo for 53 hours and then heading HND ORD at 11:00am.
Is the lounge good enough to arrive early? Not sure if it’s really operating everything from 8-11am when I could be there. Can I get a champagne? How about any special food/ drink? I seem to recall some whiskey bar or sushi?
You can find the exact menus on JAL website: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...#CLASS_SERVICE

I wouldn't arrive the lounge too early.

This is the champagne served at HND and NRT F lounge: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/221208/
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:45 pm

Does anyone know why JAL's SFO-HND F is looks to be sold out almost every day during the summer season? There's only a handful of dates that show even a single ticket available. It seems unlikely that they've sold out the entire cabin, especially since LAX has at least 2 tickets available just about every day between the end of March 2023 and the end of October 2023. They are still operating a 777 on JL001 when the summer season starts, so it's not because of an equipment swap to a different type without F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.