Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
BA or AA search engines are probably the best.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, nothing showing for weeks either side the dates I was looking at. I looked on CX as well with nothing showing either.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedPenguin
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, nothing showing for weeks either side the dates I was looking at. I looked on CX as well with nothing showing either.
The route between Tokyo and Seoul still have relatively few flights, so it probably just means initial releases are taken and I would not really expect extra releases.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:37 pm

I'm a BA Silver (OW Sapphire) and first time JA potential passenger. I am trying to see if there are any award flights on JA from Seoul to Tokyo. The flights I'm looking at are quite expensive for a 2-hour flight ($650 each round trip in Y) so trying to see if there are any award flights available. What is the best way to find award flights on JA? Thanks.
I've noticed something similar between TPE/TSA and NRT/HND, there's rarely any award availability. I think it's because these are important and high-yield business routes (as you noted, the fare is $650 for a 2-hour flight) so they don't want to make seats available for awards that could be sold for high cash fares. Then, depending on time of year, there's also tons of tourist traffic as well. Wouldn't bet on having award availability from any of the main network carriers on the route, you'll have better luck with either one of the low cost carriers or Ethiopian's fifth freedom flight on ICN-NRT. Another alternative is to fly into either NGO or KIX (though not on JAL) if you're doing a trip across Japan, particularly since it's easy to get between cities on the Shinkansen. Those cities' cash fares tend to be a bit lower than to TYO since there's so much more business traffic between Seoul and Tokyo than to the other cities
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by davidchui
I've noticed something similar between TPE/TSA and NRT/HND, there's rarely any award availability. I think it's because these are important and high-yield business routes (as you noted, the fare is $650 for a 2-hour flight) so they don't want to make seats available for awards that could be sold for high cash fares. Then, depending on time of year, there's also tons of tourist traffic as well. Wouldn't bet on having award availability from any of the main network carriers on the route, you'll have better luck with either one of the low cost carriers or Ethiopian's fifth freedom flight on ICN-NRT. Another alternative is to fly into either NGO or KIX (though not on JAL) if you're doing a trip across Japan, particularly since it's easy to get between cities on the Shinkansen. Those cities' cash fares tend to be a bit lower than to TYO since there's so much more business traffic between Seoul and Tokyo than to the other cities
Thanks for this David. I think given my itinerary I will have to stump up the cash in this case. The low-cost carriers have really bad timing (late night/early morning departures) and I don't have the spare time for the Shinkansen.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for this David. I think given my itinerary I will have to stump up the cash in this case. The low-cost carriers have really bad timing (late night/early morning departures) and I don't have the spare time for the Shinkansen.
Have you look into ZIPAIR, one of JAL's LCCs? Their timing isn't that bad.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:36 pm

I have occasionally seen some last minute award availability on the TPE/TSA to NRT/HND routes, so perhaps you'll have the same on ICN/GMP, but if you have a trip already planned I wouldn't count on that coming through. The Ethiopian fifth freedom is not too bad (5pm departure from ICN, and 8:30pm departure from NRT) and I've definitely seen availability at times for that one, which makes sense since Seoul to Tokyo isn't really the main focus of that route. The problem with that one is that it only runs 3 days a week, so unless the dates work out on both the outbound and return, you'll still have some trouble
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:11 pm

I booked an award ticket on JAL using AA miles in Business, SFO-HND-CTS. However, the JAL website is only allowing me to select an economy seat for the HND-CTS leg.

The AA website clearly says that both legs are booked in Business, and the JAL website says that the HND-CTS leg is in "Class J". But all of the business seats are marked with an X on the seat selector and my only option is to book an economy seat. I can select a business seat for the SFO-HND leg no problem, it's just the HND-CTS leg that's being weird.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
I booked an award ticket on JAL using AA miles in Business, SFO-HND-CTS. However, the JAL website is only allowing me to select an economy seat for the HND-CTS leg.

The AA website clearly says that both legs are booked in Business, and the JAL website says that the HND-CTS leg is in "Class J". But all of the business seats are marked with an X on the seat selector and my only option is to book an economy seat. I can select a business seat for the SFO-HND leg no problem, it's just the HND-CTS leg that's being weird.

Am I doing something wrong?
What rows can you select? Row 1 and 2 are domestic first. 5 to 11 or 19 is Class J, from 21 or 27 is economy. On the A350, but that would be the majority of the CTS flights.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:45 pm

What rows can you select? Row 1 and 2 are domestic first. 5 to 11 or 19 is Class J, from 21 or 27 is economy. On the A350, but that would be the majority of the CTS flights.
Ah, I didn’t realize they were running a 3-class config on a 1.5 hour domestic flight! I just assumed because I couldn’t select the seats at the front of the plane that something was wrong. Should’ve checked SeatGuru. I can indeed select seats in rows 5-19. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Ah, I didn’t realize they were running a 3-class config on a 1.5 hour domestic flight! I just assumed because I couldn’t select the seats at the front of the plane that something was wrong. Should’ve checked SeatGuru. I can indeed select seats in rows 5-19. Thanks!
Seatguru is very poor~useless resource. Not updated
Use aeroLOPA authored by a FTer
---->https://www.aerolopa.com/
---->https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-airbus-a350-gallery
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
FLY ON status qualification with LATAM

Hi everyone! Later this year, I am heading to South Amwrica from New York and my options include AA and LATAM. Given that JAL and LATAM have partnership, higher cost on AA, and I am trying to earn FLY ON status, LATAM would be my first choice.

I am curious since some of JAL's mileage partners (EK, AF, KE, etc.) have a text that mention: "Flights do not count towads FLY ON status qualification, regardless of whether the fare is eligible for mileage accrual":

LATAM's information page does not contain this mention; it is under "JMB >> Earn >> Travel >> LA. html"

(I cannot post links yet, I apologize for the formatting)

Is it fair to conclude that I can still earn mileage and FLY ON points if I choose to fly with LATAM? Has anyone encountered this in recent history? Thanks again!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
Hi everyone! Later this year, I am heading to South Amwrica from New York and my options include AA and LATAM. Given that JAL and LATAM have partnership, higher cost on AA, and I am trying to earn FLY ON status, LATAM would be my first choice.

I am curious since some of JAL's mileage partners (EK, AF, KE, etc.) have a text that mention: "Flights do not count towads FLY ON status qualification, regardless of whether the fare is eligible for mileage accrual":

LATAM's information page does not contain this mention; it is under "JMB >> Earn >> Travel >> LA. html"

(I cannot post links yet, I apologize for the formatting)

Is it fair to conclude that I can still earn mileage and FLY ON points if I choose to fly with LATAM? Has anyone encountered this in recent history? Thanks again!
No, they just forgot to update the page.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/jmb/200201/
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
No, they just forgot to update the page.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/jmb/200201/
It is the other way around, they removed the references to earning FOPs with LATAM. If you compare to the AA page, there is a link to what you can earn of FOP, there is not on the LATAM page. Initially, when the change happened there was also a text about the change. But as it is now a while back, it is just like other non FOP earning partners, the pages describes what miles you earn and that's it.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

It is the other way around, they removed the references to earning FOPs with LATAM. If you compare to the AA page, there is a link to what you can earn of FOP, there is not on the LATAM page. Initially, when the change happened there was also a text about the change. But as it is now a while back, it is just like other non FOP earning partners, the pages describes what miles you earn and that's it.
But they also forgot to put “Flights do not count toward FLY ON status qualification, regardless of whether the fare is eligible for mileage accrual.” that is on other non-oneworld partners page
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked my family onto JL41 in Economy using the BA website on Monday and noted with alarm that there was only one meal service on the 13 hour flight. The alarm came from seeing that there are no restaurants or shops with food airside open after 22:30. I began a search through this forum and relaxed as I learned that Economy passengers get to use part of the Sakura Lounge which was modified to provide a first meal service when the JL41 “premium night service” opened.

However, there was a schedule change today and JL41 is now due to depart at 00:10 instead of 01:55 and I wonder if the first meal service in the 5th floor part of the Sakura Lounge will still be available.

Has JL41 been scheduled so early before?

and (assuming the lounge access isn’t withdrawn)

What could we reasonably expect the lounge admittance time to be? Two hours before the 00:10 departure? (Approx 22:00)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.