Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can attain emerald for 80K points if you are enrolled in JGC by 31/12, but you need to fly 80K points every year to retain emerald. Only Sapphire can be extended without flying.
Until the program is enhanced again
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can attain emerald for 80K points if you are enrolled in JGC by 31/12, but you need to fly 80K points every year to retain emerald. Only Sapphire can be extended without flying.
OK good to know! I will stick with Sapphire then. One less items on my end of year stress list
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I am a JGC member, i have credited an AA flight to my JAL account, i should be getting a 35% bonus but I am not, is there any changes that I have missed?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
I am a JGC member, i have credited an AA flight to my JAL account, i should be getting a 35% bonus but I am not, is there any changes that I have missed?
JGC without JAL CARD doesn’t get any bonus
pbd456 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:01 am

If the flight to MCO is on AA, then Oneworld rules would kick in and the long haul flight is the deciding factor for lounge access. That would allow you in to the AA Flagship Lounge. I don't know if there is a Flagship First Dining in ORD, but if there is it would not grant access there, as it is outside of standard Oneworld rules, and only for AA three class flagship first passengers.
Thank you. Even if the AA flight (economy) is booked separately from the JAL F flight, would this would still be the case?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Morkai
Thank you. Even if the AA flight (economy) is booked separately from the JAL F flight, would this would still be the case?
Technically not, though if you come bearing your F boarding pass from the JAL flight it is probably likely to work.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Our HND-SYD for Feb just got improved to 789 Sky Suites, currently in a middle pair - any reason to switch to a side pair as a couple? I do like a window, but the flight timings suggest it'll be all in the dark anyway.

Edit: Looks like the moveable divider is quite a long way forward in the centre pair, so almost easier to converse in the side pair as only one person has to learn forwards?

Last edited by etiene; Nov 17, 2022 at 5:45 am
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:06 pm

Haneda First Lounge

Hello all!
My wife and I are lucky enough to be flying from JFK-HND in First. Jal 005
Will we be able to access the first class lounge upon our arrival in Haneda? HND is our final destination.
Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thtok
Hello all!
My wife and I are lucky enough to be flying from JFK-HND in First. Jal 005
Will we be able to access the first class lounge upon our arrival in Haneda? HND is our final destination.
Thanks!
No, you won't be able to access any lounge on arrival. The departure and arrival areas are separate.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Hey there, a bit confused by 787 seating options. I'm looking at DEL-HND// NRT-USA flights and would enjoy a 36 hour stopover in Tokyo. Trying to figure out the NRT-LAX and NRT-SAN flights. The SAN flights seem to be on the tilted-seat 787 that is 2-2-2. I flew that to CGK last summer and for that 7 hour flight it was tolerable but really not great for 2022 business class.
LAX flights, the seat map didn't come up (they did for SAN).
Would JAL 62 actually fly a tilted seat on NRT-LAX? I assumed it would be suites (like on my SFO-NRT-SFO last summer). Thanks for any help.
Oh and also-- are there any current local Covid restrictions in Japan? I have 5x Vaxxed but obviously wouldn't be able to quarantine, since I'd be in Japan only 36 hours and will be on public transit.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there, a bit confused by 787 seating options. I'm looking at DEL-HND// NRT-USA flights and would enjoy a 36 hour stopover in Tokyo. Trying to figure out the NRT-LAX and NRT-SAN flights. The SAN flights seem to be on the tilted-seat 787 that is 2-2-2. I flew that to CGK last summer and for that 7 hour flight it was tolerable but really not great for 2022 business class.
LAX flights, the seat map didn't come up (they did for SAN).
Would JAL 62 actually fly a tilted seat on NRT-LAX? I assumed it would be suites (like on my SFO-NRT-SFO last summer). Thanks for any help.
Oh and also-- are there any current local Covid restrictions in Japan? I have 5x Vaxxed but obviously wouldn't be able to quarantine, since I'd be in Japan only 36 hours and will be on public transit.
The NEO seats are not assigned to TPAC flights, at least from a planning perspective one can never fully rule out an aircraft swap, but I would deem sub to NEO very unlikely.

The 787-8 NEO and 787-8 Skysuite (E03 and E12) would look the same in business class if you look at ExpertFlyer. The easiest way to check, is make a dummy booking on JAL and see if it is flagged as a skysuite 787-8. Or on ExpertFlyer, check if the forward economy cabin goes from row 18 to 29 or 18 to 26. The latter is is the skysuite version.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
The NEO seats are not assigned to TPAC flights, at least from a planning perspective one can never fully rule out an aircraft swap, but I would deem sub to NEO very unlikely.

The 787-8 NEO and 787-8 Skysuite (E03 and E12) would look the same in business class if you look at ExpertFlyer. The easiest way to check, is make a dummy booking on JAL and see if it is flagged as a skysuite 787-8. Or on ExpertFlyer, check if the forward economy cabin goes from row 18 to 29 or 18 to 26. The latter is is the skysuite version.
Thanks for those details! As always, you're very helpful.
Of course, making a dummy booking makes me deal with the dumb JAL site: The information you entered is incorrect.
  • The initial point of departure is in a different country/region than the site you are currently viewing.
    Please replan your itinerary or make your reservation from the site associated with the initial point of departure.
Please try again later from the beginning.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there, a bit confused by 787 seating options. I'm looking at DEL-HND// NRT-USA flights and would enjoy a 36 hour stopover in Tokyo. Trying to figure out the NRT-LAX and NRT-SAN flights. The SAN flights seem to be on the tilted-seat 787 that is 2-2-2.
You make me nervous. My understanding is that JAL stopped using the tilted seat on SAN flights some time ago. I'll be flying it for the first time in December. I just checked my booking on JL066. It says the plane has JAL Sky Suite.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se.../skysuite.html

We have the JAL Shell Flat Neo on our flight from SGN-NRT.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...llflatneo.html

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 18, 2022 at 6:10 pm Reason: Corrected flight number for NRT-SAN
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You make me nervous. My understanding is that JAL stopped using the tilted seat on SAN flights some time ago. I'll be flying it for the first time in December. I just checked my booking on JL750. It says the plane has JAL Sky Suite.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se.../skysuite.html

We have the JAL Shell Flat Neo on our flight from SGN-NRT.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/se...llflatneo.html
JL750/749/79/70 does see NEO seats relatively frequently. The schedule is that the aircraft coming from Narita returns to Haneda, and vice versa. So the two daily rotations to SGN mix the aircrafts quite a bit.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:47 am

I guess I didn't realize there were 2-2-2 full flat (not slanted "flat") 787s flying, so when I saw that it reminded me of my NRT-CGK in June, which was on the slanted "Shell Flat Neo" which sounds flat but isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.