Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
IIRC, they only allow 1 domestic segment with 1 international flight. If you need the 2nd domestic segment, you'll need to book a 2nd international flight.

Or you can book the 2nd domestic on a separate ticket like below.

Ticket 1: KUL-NRT//HND-ISG-HND//NRT-KUL
Ticket 2: HND-OKA-HND
minizian likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by lcpteck
IIRC, they only allow 1 domestic segment with 1 international flight. If you need the 2nd domestic segment, you'll need to book a 2nd international flight.

Or you can book the 2nd domestic on a separate ticket like below.

Ticket 1: KUL-NRT//HND-ISG-HND//NRT-KUL
Ticket 2: HND-OKA-HND
Thank you for the reply, do you any idea on why they dont allow mix of first class and other class booking? Or its is by system design that it will be that "all leg must be first class" or else nothing cant proceed in booking?

Last edited by minizian; Oct 1, 2022 at 7:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC 25k, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE
My flight from NRT-MEL in December seems to have been switched from the Apex Suite to the Flat Shell neo configuration, is there any chance they switch it back closer to departure? I'd much rather have the nicer seats for a 10 hour flight.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kovy42
My flight from NRT-MEL in December seems to have been switched from the Apex Suite to the Flat Shell neo configuration, is there any chance they switch it back closer to departure? I'd much rather have the nicer seats for a 10 hour flight.
I guess we can still expect some route adjustments after Japan opens, which may also result in some fleet reassignments.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:47 am

Questions:-

On the booking website, I am invited to select my inflight meal. When I look at the choices, the options are all dietary requirements. I do not have requirements, and so, am I meant to leave the select option incomplete/blank, or choose my diet preference regardless (eg low carb, no diary etc.)?

If I have a front row seat in my cabin in economy, is there still inflight entertainment (as there is no seat in front of me for the screen to be apart of).
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam402
Questions:-

On the booking website, I am invited to select my inflight meal. When I look at the choices, the options are all dietary requirements. I do not have requirements, and so, am I meant to leave the select option incomplete/blank, or choose my diet preference regardless (eg low carb, no diary etc.)?

If I have a front row seat in my cabin in economy, is there still inflight entertainment (as there is no seat in front of me for the screen to be apart of).
If you have no dietary requirements, there are two standard meal options you pick onboard. Unless you are flying to Seoul, Busan, or Taipei where there is probably only one option.

Depending on plane, and which specific seat you have, there will be a screen in the armrest or on the bulkhead.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you have no dietary requirements, there are two standard meal options you pick onboard. Unless you are flying to Seoul, Busan, or Taipei where there is probably only one option.

Depending on plane, and which specific seat you have, there will be a screen in the armrest or on the bulkhead.
thank you for the speedy response! I’m very grateful!! The meal options start with special meal (cannot select) and then dietary options. Maybe it’s because I’m flying in from the U.K.?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam402
thank you for the speedy response! I’m very grateful!! The meal options start with special meal (cannot select) and then dietary options. Maybe it’s because I’m flying in from the U.K.?
Pre order of the regular meals in economy is not available. If you need a special meal, you can select that.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was looking through the JFK airport information to figure out how to reach Terminal 1 if the AirTrain station is closed, and came across this very strange comment:
Even if you have a boarding pass for flights JL003/JL005, you need to present your passport information to the Immigration Bureau in advance of your flight, so please visit F counter in Terminal 1 in order to do so.
We don't have an "immigration bureau" or any form of outbound immigration check in the USA, so what on earth are they talking about? Does this mean I need to check in at the counter for a passport check even with a OLCI electronic boarding pass, and if I don't stop there and just go to the gate, my reservation could be canceled?

Also, I did not see any option to pre-populate my booking with passport and pre-check details in advance - I assume this is not possible until OLCI?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I was looking through the JFK airport information to figure out how to reach Terminal 1 if the AirTrain station is closed, and came across this very strange comment: We don't have an "immigration bureau" or any form of outbound immigration check in the USA, so what on earth are they talking about? Does this mean I need to check in at the counter for a passport check even with a OLCI electronic boarding pass, and if I don't stop there and just go to the gate, my reservation could be canceled?

Also, I did not see any option to pre-populate my booking with passport and pre-check details in advance - I assume this is not possible until OLCI?
Your passport would need to be swiped by JAL before departure. I am fairly confident they can do that as the gate as well. But for non US citizens, how the CBP knows that they left the country again and did not over stay is from the passport swipe by the airline. So yes, there is an immigration bureau looking at the data....
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Thanks all! I purchased the ticket today, the reservation detail page shows Acccumulating Mileage of 13,268 miles, which is a little bit fewer than the number 13,606 I got from the calculator with 125% accumulation rate, I guess it will be fine.
A quick update, first segment of the my IAP JAL ticket just posted, it did earn 125% fop, so IAP is not treated as tour ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
I'm from Hong Kong and currently as they finally removed quarantine hotel I am back to flying!

I'm CX MPC Gold and I have been eyeing the JGC to keep JMB Sapphire level, and seeing if I can make it happen next year. Have two questions:

1) I would like to ask if post flight credit (up to 6 months) will credit to the new year. I've some flights in Nov 2022 and want to credit to 2023 since JMB seems to count on calendar year.

2) Also saw they have the double FOP promotion till end of year... Would I be able to claim the double FOP restrospectively? Or alternatively if I request on Dec 31 maybe I can get the best of both worlds since it takes a few days to credit?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sparkj
I'm from Hong Kong and currently as they finally removed quarantine hotel I am back to flying!

I'm CX MPC Gold and I have been eyeing the JGC to keep JMB Sapphire level, and seeing if I can make it happen next year. Have two questions:

1) I would like to ask if post flight credit (up to 6 months) will credit to the new year. I've some flights in Nov 2022 and want to credit to 2023 since JMB seems to count on calendar year.

2) Also saw they have the double FOP promotion till end of year... Would I be able to claim the double FOP restrospectively? Or alternatively if I request on Dec 31 maybe I can get the best of both worlds since it takes a few days to credit?
FOPs from your 2022 flights will only be counted towards your 2022 calendar year flight activities. There’s no point of doing post-flight credit if you intend to credit towards JMB.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by minizian
Thank you for the reply, do you any idea on why they dont allow mix of first class and other class booking? Or its is by system design that it will be that "all leg must be first class" or else nothing cant proceed in booking?
In terms of redemption or paying ticket? Any examples? Maybe some of the more experienced folks can chime in.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sparkj

No matter when you credit your flight, the activity will always be the flight date. Double fop period is also based on flight date.
sparkj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.