Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Are quite a bit stores/restaurants open at HND? I can’t imagine being in the lounge for 9 hours so is there a restaurant that users here really enjoy?
A lot of things are still closed. Haneda's website will have an overview of what is open and what is closed.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
At NRT at the end of June, with about 10 JAL widebody flights departing after 6pm (most days 60-180 min late) everything closed at exactly 6pm in the JAL terminal except maybe some tiny shop.
When flights are delayed I wish they could stay open for Y pax to get something to eat (our delay was 3 hours 30 min) and have something to do (!) though I was in Biz so the packed Sakura Lounge so it was ok.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:45 pm

I'm a new user here, and i'm running into an issue when trying to apply for the JAL Mileage Bank. After I fill everything out, I get an error that says:
  • Please enter "City (HOME)" in the correct format within 30 alphanumeric characters
As far as I can tell, I am entering it correctly. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Ciglossonjr
I'm a new user here, and i'm running into an issue when trying to apply for the JAL Mileage Bank. After I fill everything out, I get an error that says:
  • Please enter "City (HOME)" in the correct format within 30 alphanumeric characters
As far as I can tell, I am entering it correctly. Has anyone else run into this issue?
​​​​​​
Someone reported the issue before, quite a while back. I have to say I don't remember the outcome or the thread it was posted in.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:21 am

UL flight issued on JL stock

Hi everyone, I was planning to use my expiring JMB miles for a series of trips, including a leg to MLE via CMB on UL.

Looking at the state of affairs for UL, there’s a chance that they will go bankrupt and my flight will be cancelled.

What are JMB’s CoCs / T&Cs when it comes to cancellations due to bankruptcies / when the airline leaves oneworld? The MLE flight will not be my first leg, so by the time the flight gets cancelled, it could be after the earlier legs have been flown.

Any advice will be helpful!!
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scopelenz
Hi everyone, I was planning to use my expiring JMB miles for a series of trips, including a leg to MLE via CMB on UL.

Looking at the state of affairs for UL, there’s a chance that they will go bankrupt and my flight will be cancelled.

What are JMB’s CoCs / T&Cs when it comes to cancellations due to bankruptcies / when the airline leaves oneworld? The MLE flight will not be my first leg, so by the time the flight gets cancelled, it could be after the earlier legs have been flown.

Any advice will be helpful!!
It depends on when it happens, if UL disappears before your first flight, JL may well insist on finding a replacement flight where there is award availability. If it happens once you have started your journey, they will more flexible on that, but depending on where you are leading in to the UL flight to MLE it may require some creative rerouting and extra time.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It depends on when it happens, if UL disappears before your first flight, JL may well insist on finding a replacement flight where there is award availability. If it happens once you have started your journey, they will more flexible on that, but depending on where you are leading in to the UL flight to MLE it may require some creative rerouting and extra time.
The exact itinerary that I am thinking of goes something like this: HKT-KUL-SIN(stop)-CMB-MLE // (open jaw - some other additional legs)

So if I understand correctly, JL is likely to:
  1. Replace my SIN-CMB-MLE leg with another flight (e.g. SIN-DOH-MLE or SIN-DXB-MLE) if UL goes bust before I get to SIN or after I have arrived in SIN
  2. Allow me to cancel/refund my unused legs after I have arrived in SIN if there's no award availability to MLE
Option 1 will be best, but looking at the award availability for SIN-MLE (via DOH or DXB) at the time that I am planning to fly, I am not sure if I want to put myself through that stress anyway
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Are quite a bit stores/restaurants open at HND? I can’t imagine being in the lounge for 9 hours so is there a restaurant that users here really enjoy?
I wandered down there a couple of weeks ago to remind myself what an airport looks like . In the international terminal, for groundside the best I can say that it's not quite the ghost town it was last time I paid a visit (couple more places open, but still many closed). During the hour or so I was there on a late Friday afternoon, there were no international arrivals or departures.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
Switching from JAL Mileage Bank to AAdvantage for Loyalty Point earnings post upgrade

I currently have a RT revenue ticket booked in Economy (K) on both segments (LAX to NRT then HND to LAX). I'm waiting for my 60,000 JAL Mileage Bank points to appear in my account after doing a transfer from Marriott BonVoy yesterday. I've downloaded the JAL app and see it's pretty convenient to request to upgrade myself via JAL points via the app. The outbound segments looks like it will clear right away, but the return I'll be on an upgrade waitlist.

My question is: is there way to switch from my JAL Mileage Bank account number to my American AAdvantage number for loyalty points earning? I'm EXP (OWE) on American. If so, when and how should I make this change?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpIntheError
I currently have a RT revenue ticket booked in Economy (K) on both segments (LAX to NRT then HND to LAX). I'm waiting for my 60,000 JAL Mileage Bank points to appear in my account after doing a transfer from Marriott BonVoy yesterday. I've downloaded the JAL app and see it's pretty convenient to request to upgrade myself via JAL points via the app. The outbound segments looks like it will clear right away, but the return I'll be on an upgrade waitlist.

My question is: is there way to switch from my JAL Mileage Bank account number to my American AAdvantage number for loyalty points earning? I'm EXP (OWE) on American. If so, when and how should I make this change?
You'd probably need to change FFP at the gate or lounge for the specific segment.

How do you see that the upgrade is going to clear immediately? It is normally more well hidden what the status of the upgrade options are.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
You'd probably need to change FFP at the gate or lounge for the specific segment.

How do you see that the upgrade is going to clear immediately? It is normally more well hidden what the status of the upgrade options are.
Thanks, I'll plan to take to a JL agent when I check in at LAX, and then at HND.

I *think* the first segment should clear because the second segment indicates "waitlist" in the upgrade options in the app. But, this is my first time flying JAL and first time trying to upgrade, so I'm mostly assuming this is how it works. I did pick the first segment (flying into NRT) because it had 12+ open seats in business when I booked yesterday.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpIntheError
Thanks, I'll plan to take to a JL agent when I check in at LAX, and then at HND.

I *think* the first segment should clear because the second segment indicates "waitlist" in the upgrade options in the app. But, this is my first time flying JAL and first time trying to upgrade, so I'm mostly assuming this is how it works. I did pick the first segment (flying into NRT) because it had 12+ open seats in business when I booked yesterday.
There is not a public wait list and ranking of requests like with US airlines. So you don't really know until you click upgrade. I have only done it through the website, never through the app. Maybe I should test that next time.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:40 pm
amm

Flying JFK-HND and HND-SIN in December. These are booked as two separate AA awards with distinct PNR’s for each leg. Is there anything I need to do so I am treated as a transiting passenger (e.g. call AA or JAL to get PNR’s linked)? Layover is only about six hours though I don’t think that would matter.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amm
Flying JFK-HND and HND-SIN in December. These are booked as two separate AA awards with distinct PNR’s for each leg. Is there anything I need to do so I am treated as a transiting passenger (e.g. call AA or JAL to get PNR’s linked)? Layover is only about six hours though I don’t think that would matter.
Nothing you need to do.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:23 pm
amm

Nothing you need to do.
Thanks! Would I be able to check luggage through to Singapore or should I stick with hand luggage to be safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.