Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by MrBill64
Here is my scenario. I can book a resort view room for 40k/night, or an ocean view room for 43k/night, or a deluxe ocean view for 46k/night, or dolphin and ocean room for 88k/night. I am gold and looking to get the most bang for my points. I would be hoping, but not expecting, an upgrade if I book the cheapest room. So my question is, which room would you book?

Thanks.
As a Diamond on points I've had both the ocean view and deluxe ocean view rooms in the Ocean Tower. In both cases I got the room type that I booked with the upgrade being a good location -- i.e. high floor with good view for the category of room I booked.

I thought the deluxe ocean view was more than worth the extra points over ocean view. With the deluxe category I got a top floor room directly facing Buddha Point giving me what I believed was the best view I could have received in the Ocean Tower. The regular ocean view room was nice but the deluxe room was just a lot better view wise.

I haven't stayed in the Lagoon Tower. That seems a good location for families with kids along. For just the two of us I preferred booking the more isolated and (hopefully) more quiet Ocean Tower.

For you I would suggest booking at least the lowest level of room that you would be satisfied with -- then if you don't get an upgrade you won't be disappointed. If an ocean view doesn't matter then by all means book resort view.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ksyrah
1)

5) Milk is exorbitant in Hawaii. Buy a gallon at costco. I believe that it is upwards of $8/gallon at Safeway and expect more at the ABC store in Waikoloa.
The one funny thing I noticed when I stayed in HWV was that while milk was exhorbitant, beer was not unreasonably priced - I guess because it does not have to be kept cold until it arrives.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Kona Costs

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
The one funny thing I noticed when I stayed in HWV was that while milk was exorbitant, beer was not unreasonably priced - I guess because it does not have to be kept cold until it arrives.
I agree. I'm guessing a little of the milk price may be accountable to spoilage. Many local CA wines are cheaper in Kona than here. I'm guessing that the liquor taxes are lower. But, I can get Kona Brewing CO beer cheaper here.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by ksyrah
I agree. I'm guessing a little of the milk price may be accountable to spoilage. Many local CA wines are cheaper in Kona than here. I'm guessing that the liquor taxes are lower. But, I can get Kona Brewing CO beer cheaper here.
Psssst, Kona is also brewed in Oregon/Washington.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
My wife and I are looking at a trip to Waikoloa Village in April. We have enough points for a 7 night stay in a resort view room.

1. Any upgrade opportunities on a mid-April stay?

2. What are your thoughts on a few daily rentals from the National Rental Car facility on the property? We'd like to see the island...Hilo, Mauna Kea Observatory, etc. I have 4 free days with National, so I'm thinking we could pick up a car each day.

3. Where's the nearest true public beach on the Pacific? It looks like the property only has a "beach" on the lagoon.

4. I'm having trouble finding pricing for the golf courses near the hotel. Are they affiliated with Hilton? What are the prices for a round?

5. The reviews are generally favorable, but most are "great stay, but...." and then they talk about how crowded, dated, or expensive the resort is.

6. Overall, is this place good for a "baby moon"? It'll likely be our last vacation for quite some time. We've done the Caribbean, we've done a half-dozen countries in Europe, etc. With Skymiles, Hilton Points, and National free days, we think we can go for a week pretty inexpensively, but I'm worried about coming back disappointed.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aww3583
3. Where's the nearest true public beach on the Pacific? It looks like the property only has a "beach" on the lagoon.
if by real beach you are looking for a beach to surf at try this "hapuna state park" its about 10 miles to the north, if you are looking at a beach to sit on a lounge chair maybe do a little snorkling and enjoy a maitai the lagoon "not a real beach" can not be beat, especially since there is no drinking on "real beaches" also the lagoon beach they will bring you lunch right to your lounger.
if you do rent a car to go out tho, ask for directions to mile marker 69. you goto hapuna beach turn off but before you get there turn left on a one way road and drive south about 1.5 miles until you see a little parking lot, walk down path and sit under one of the trees, its the best beach we have ever been to.
if you seacher prior in this thread i have posted links from my wife's blog review of this hotel

as for the hotel we have been there 5 times in the last three years, its a solid 4 star hotel( not a 5 star place) everything in or near waikoloa is expensive. if you go with this understanding its a great place. it may seem crazy but food drink and light activities run about $250 per day.

lastly the best place to eat for a true beach dining experience is lava lava beach club, call and ask for reservation time that is pre sunset by aout 30 minutes. we spent last newyears eve there, its simply the best
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
if by real beach you are looking for a beach to surf at try this "hapuna state park" its about 10 miles to the north, if you are looking at a beach to sit on a lounge chair maybe do a little snorkling and enjoy a maitai the lagoon "not a real beach" can not be beat, especially since there is no drinking on "real beaches" also the lagoon beach they will bring you lunch right to your lounger.
Thanks!
if you do rent a car to go out tho, ask for directions to mile marker 69. you goto hapuna beach turn off but before you get there turn left on a one way road and drive south about 1.5 miles until you see a little parking lot, walk down path and sit under one of the trees, its the best beach we have ever been to.
Thanks...good info. Easily found it on Google Maps.
if you seacher prior in this thread i have posted links from my wife's blog review of this hotel

as for the hotel we have been there 5 times in the last three years, its a solid 4 star hotel( not a 5 star place) everything in or near waikoloa is expensive. if you go with this understanding its a great place. it may seem crazy but food drink and light activities run about $250 per day.
What goes into that $250? My wife is notoriously cheap and would veto the trip if "food and activities" were $250/day.

lastly the best place to eat for a true beach dining experience is lava lava beach club, call and ask for reservation time that is pre sunset by aout 30 minutes. we spent last newyears eve there, its simply the best
Can you walk to this restaurant from the hotel?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aww3583
My wife and I are looking at a trip to Waikoloa Village in April. We have enough points for a 7 night stay in a resort view room.

1. Any upgrade opportunities on a mid-April stay?

2. What are your thoughts on a few daily rentals from the National Rental Car facility on the property? We'd like to see the island...Hilo, Mauna Kea Observatory, etc. I have 4 free days with National, so I'm thinking we could pick up a car each day.

4. I'm having trouble finding pricing for the golf courses near the hotel. Are they affiliated with Hilton? What are the prices for a round?

5. The reviews are generally favorable, but most are "great stay, but...." and then they talk about how crowded, dated, or expensive the resort is.

6. Overall, is this place good for a "baby moon"? It'll likely be our last vacation for quite some time. We've done the Caribbean, we've done a half-dozen countries in Europe, etc. With Skymiles, Hilton Points, and National free days, we think we can go for a week pretty inexpensively, but I'm worried about coming back disappointed.
1. Mid April is in the shoulder season and shouldn't be affected by spring break much, so for someone with status I'd expect to be upgraded to at least an ocean view room. Likely in the Ocean Tower.

2. Have not done rentals on property, but rentals from KOA airport can be very reaonable depending on thetime of year so check that too. It will make the trip to and from the airport easier.

3. Check out Hapuna Beach. Considered to be one of the best beaches in the world (not just in Hawaii). It's about 10 minutes by car. You can also walk along the shore to the Marriott and to Anaehoomal Bay. Just head south along the coast from HWV (there's a trail). It's about a 10 minute walk to the Marriott. Continue past the Marriott and around the bay for some very nice and secluded spots.

4. Sorry. I've have no idea.

5. It's a nice place. Especially if you're there when it's not crowded. It's not the best place ever but for what you pay for it I think it's a good value.

6. It's hard to argue with a good Hawaii resort for any type of vacation.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
What goes into that $250? My wife is notoriously cheap and would veto the trip if "food and activities" were $250/day.
You can definitely spend much less than $250 per day. The better half and I usually stop at Costco in Kona and stock up on snacks and adult beverages (there''s a fridge in your room). Occasionally we'll run to the King's/Queens shops just up the road for a light lunch to go.

Where we choose to spend is on dinner at restaurants off property beacuse IMO the big island has some of the best dining in Hawaii. The restaurants on property, with the possible exception of the Provisioning Comany, are fair to poor IMO.

Can you walk to this restaurant from the hotel?
It's just past the Marriott on A-Bay so yes, it's walkable.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:02 am

if you want to play golf my 250 number is light.
Waikoloa Beach Resort Guests
•Morning: 7:00AM - 11:30AM ~ $140.00
•Mid-Day: after 11:30AM ~ $120.00
•Matinee: after 1:00PM ~ $110.00
•Twilight: after 2:00PM ~ $90.00

as for our 250 number
breakfast at coffee card with muffins and quiche 25
lunch on beach fish sandwich with drinks 65
toy rental (paddleboard in lagoon 30
afternoon drinks at pool bar 25
dinner out 120
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:09 am

there are some cheaper option incluing a dairy queen in the queens market, and as i recall seeing a romanos macaroni grill there too but the pasta dishes were like 18+ each, you can also get togo food from the market at the queens shop and eat in the room we have dont his a few times, the sushi counter is great and they have other hot options togo.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I found cheaper golf rates on the 3rd party sites like Golf Now. I think the rates get cheaper when you get closer to the day you want to play. My son and I played 3 times at Thanksgiving at it wasn't very crowded or expensive - maybe $75.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
if you want to play golf my 250 number is light.
Waikoloa Beach Resort Guests
•Morning: 7:00AM - 11:30AM ~ $140.00
•Mid-Day: after 11:30AM ~ $120.00
•Matinee: after 1:00PM ~ $110.00
•Twilight: after 2:00PM ~ $90.00

as for our 250 number
breakfast at coffee card with muffins and quiche 25
lunch on beach fish sandwich with drinks 65
toy rental (paddleboard in lagoon 30
afternoon drinks at pool bar 25
dinner out 120
Thanks for the info. Are these prices for a family of 6? 8?

(j/k....seriously. Eye opening prices.)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The better half and I usually stop at Costco in Kona and stock up on snacks and adult beverages (there''s a fridge in your room).
This is what we always do. We also bring a cooler for added room.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
You can definitely spend much less than $250 per day. The better half and I usually stop at Costco in Kona and stock up on snacks and adult beverages (there''s a fridge in your room). Occasionally we'll run to the King's/Queens shops just up the road for a light lunch to go.
We don't stock up on anything, and still spend quite a bit less than $250/day. Part of the fun of being on vacation is having someone else make/provide our adult beverages. Having some from CostCo in the fridge would defeat the purpose, for us. We don't really snack much, so we just have our meals, and can find reasonable places for that. King's Grille is great for breakfast, and priced well. Dinner is where we spend more, and would still be hard-pressed to get anywhere near $250.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.