Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
HWV

I don't fly much anymore but am still a Hilton Diamond. I have stayed here at least once a year for the last 10 years or so. I have seen the changes (some good, some bad) and have always been treated nicely. No resort fee has ever been charged when using points even though Ms. Bishop states otherwise. Because we visit a lot and know most of the staff, I just make a call and always have been upgraded, based upon availability, from Ocean front to various suites. I will be staying again in November with the family for a few days. I was at the resort last week (not staying) and noticed that in the afternoon that there was only one train and one boat running. That is a concern for me. And, for those talking about the Royal suites, I found out that those are the oldest suites around and really need refurbishing, although there is no current time frame to accomplish that. I will talk to the people that I know and find out what the plans are and post any new info after returning.

Aloha!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Saw this place won an award from Business Traveler (or Global Travel Magazine).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by ksyrah
...I was at the resort last week (not staying) and noticed that in the afternoon that there was only one train and one boat running. That is a concern for me...
We just got back and can confirm that we never saw more than one tram or boat running at a time. The boat started running at or after 2 p.m. so there was just one tram to handle all traffic up until then. To avoid frustration as much as possible we checked channel 4 on the TV in our room before leaving to go somewhere. Channel 4 (as you no doubt already know having stayed there a lot) shows which systems are active and the estimated # of minutes until the next arrival at each of the 3 towers.

The hotel employees we interacted with were almost all very helpful and friendly -- the one exception being a lady at the front desk who perhaps was just having a bad day. When we needed some help with issues in our room (burned out light bulbs, weak AC, slow drain) one phone call brought an industrious fellow from maintenance in just a few minutes.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm here right now, staying in the Lagoon Tower Presidential Suite. The resort is so quiet! This is definitely the perfect time to come. The weather has been lovely all week and we're having an amazing time. No problem getting a lounger, either by the pool or in the lagoon, at any time. I really love the facilities and all the staff have been excellent. Top marks so far!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I'm here right now, staying in the Lagoon Tower Presidential Suite. The resort is so quiet! This is definitely the perfect time to come. The weather has been lovely all week and we're having an amazing time. No problem getting a lounger, either by the pool or in the lagoon, at any time. I really love the facilities and all the staff have been excellent. Top marks so far!
Did you book the Presidential Suite or got upgraded?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
I booked it.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Frustrating Hilton Honors Diamond Experience

I have finally gotten around to my promised review from a stay in August. I referenced it above, but just got to it.

I think in many ways, this resort is perfectly fine for the once a year, family vacation folks who pay for what they get and get what they pay for. Not spectacular -- just fine. Its not fancy, but its not really expensive either. Although my family frankly didn’t love the property (ants in the room, spotty housekeeping, desperate need for updating,etc.), my dissatisfaction revolves around failing to get when I was promised as a Hilton Honors Diamond VIP, having to fight to get what I am supposed to get, getting significant pushback, and feeling like the property would go out of their way to make sure you got not one iota more than the absolute minimum requirements of the HHonors program. And the crushing reality is that this is a corporate owned property – not some rogue franchisee. Needless-to-say, we won’t be coming back.
Our stay was a combination of a consolation prize, a microcosm of my frustrating relationship with Hilton, and (sad to say) really the last straw in my move to Marriott. We only stayed here because with the HHonors point devaluation (specifically on that day), availability completely disappeared at the Grand Wailea. Waikoloa Village is a significant step down.
Upon check-in, we were told that there was absolute no availability to upgrade us because they were completely sold out. I rarely believe that because I am told that and all sorts of totally made up stuff and Hilton front desks all over the country. But upon getting to my room and going on line, I could easily see that EVERY room type was available – ocean view, dolphin view, etc. They lied right to my face. Then they came up with the idea that they could upgrade us in three days (we were staying 7 nights). I really didn’t want to fight about it, although our room, which despite specifically saying in my profile that I like to be away from the elevator, was directly next to the elevator. We looked out at a line of rooms apparently used for storage on the other side of the elevators – from first floor to top floor – which kept the doors and drapes open so you could see the junk stored there. We also looked out at the tram tracks and got to hear the crossing beeping every 10 minutes or so.
The breakfast vouchers (as mentioned in other reviews) were only good for $10. The full buffet was $30 – and about as phoned- in lame as you can imagine. It would fit right in at the Secaucus, NJ Hilton breakfast buffet. It meets the Hilton requirement because there is a VERY small fruit plate on the menu that is $10. So technically you can get breakfast (coffee is extra). They hide behind the fact that you can use the vouchers (only 2 per room even though we were three registered to the room) at any restaurant for any meal. I just prefer to know what at least I don’t have to go out for breakfast every morning – which we mostly did as I refused to pay $30 for that buffet. I gladly paid $40 for the Four Seasons Wailea breakfast buffet on previous trips (which is spectacular) – so its not that I am cheap. Actually, now that I think of it, we got upgraded and free breakfast at the FS and they don’t even have a frequent guest program. Anyway, I would prefer to actually get a breakfast as the benefit was intended.

The restaurants were generally poor and overpriced – I was particularly galled that at the Kiran (teppan yaki place) our party of seven (us and another family we ran into that we knew, but not very well) was made to move to the bar area for the desert we got for the kids – sorry my 6 year old isn’t going to do well with trying to eat ice cream off of a coffee table sitting on a couch – he got it all over himself. I didn’t want to embarrass the other family – I really wanted to just leave without the desert. No offer was made to comp the deserts (three small kid’s ice creams) or anything – again – nothing other than doing what they HAVE to do. I tipped accordingly. We certainly didn’t linger a long time at our original table with three little boys . . . .
So the day comes where we were promised our upgrade. We are offered (I kid you not) a choice of (1) a room in the back of the hotel with a far distant water view but a closer view of the maintenance yard in the foreground, (2) a room on the ground floor with some view in the Ocean town – which the lady at the front desk proceeds to tell us that most people don’t like because it has a big noisy generator right outside of it ( why the f*ck would you give me that room??????), or (3) a room at the back of the Lagoon Tower overlooking the parking lot. I am livid at this point. The lady says there are no real ocean view upgrades available – BS! I couldn’t figure out if they aren’t released for upgrades, so they front desk people can’t see them of if they are instructed not to give out the better rooms as upgrades. Either way – does Hilton think I am loyal to the brand for a parking lot view on vacation? Of do they just not give a rip?
I find the general manager’s office (It’s across the tram tracks from the breakfast facility if you need it also) and meet a pleasant lady at the front desk. She tells me the general manager is off island. I am not sure I believe that and hear typing in the office behind her. But whatever. When she calls up – low and behold a room “just opened up” on the top floor, ocean view in the ocean tower. She refers to this as a “further upgrade.” I resist the temptation to ask what the first upgrade was. She also offhandedly says that they get lots and lots of Diamonds every day . . . . so from senior management on down, the view is that Diamonds are a “dime a dozen” and treated accordingly. Got it. It all made sense at that point.
The room was fine – needed updating. Looks like they aren’t spending any money on it due to the pending conversion of the ocean tower to timeshares. It was shocking the amount of dusk caked to the back of the night stand and cords of the clock radio and bed when I had to move everything to get to the only outlet anywhere near the bed (under the headboard) for my wife’s CPAP machine.
I did see the “ruins” of the executive lounge and the card reader / door combo indicating that our room was once an HHonors floor or concierge level or something – back in the day when Hilton gave a rat’s a** about the top tier customers. So really we ended up where we should have been all along. Its just a real shame to have to move and fight and get annoyed on vacation in order to get it.

And . . . . I am done with Hilton. Marriott upgrades me without even asking, much less fighting about it. And they status matched me over to Platinum. I assume all of this stiffing the frequent guests is due to cost cutting ahead of the announced IPO. Maybe if they try harder after the IPO I might come back. But not as things stand.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TransCon1
The breakfast vouchers (as mentioned in other reviews) were only good for $10. The full buffet was $30 – and about as phoned- in lame as you can imagine. It would fit right in at the Secaucus, NJ Hilton breakfast buffet. It meets the Hilton requirement because there is a VERY small fruit plate on the menu that is $10. So technically you can get breakfast (coffee is extra). They hide behind the fact that you can use the vouchers (only 2 per room even though we were three registered to the room) at any restaurant for any meal. I just prefer to know what at least I don’t have to go out for breakfast every morning
As most of your review is personal perception, I'm not going to comment. This part, however, is not correct. Having just recently stayed there as a Diamond, it was very clearly written on the vouchers that they were good at a wide variety of places. Unless you got very different vouchers, nothing was hidden.

In fact, we used them for drinks at the various bars, preferring the breakfast at the Kings Grill up the road.

As to the "can't upgrade because the rooms are sold out" issues- we didn't have it here, but have had it at other Hilton properties. I now bring up the Hilton app and already know what's available when I get to the desk...and can show them if/when they try to pull this one. It's worked on more than one occasion

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
I think in many ways, this resort is perfectly fine for the once a year, family vacation folks who pay for what they get and get what they pay for. Not spectacular -- just fine. Its not fancy, but its not really expensive either.
Agree totally with you.

having to fight to get what I am supposed to get, getting significant pushback, and feeling like the property would go out of their way to make sure you got not one iota more than the absolute minimum requirements of the HHonors program.
I must say that that was exactly our impression when Mrs FlyinDutchman and myself stayed there. All other observations about the state of the rooms, I can also agree with. Not likely returning there again.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by brp
As most of your review is personal perception, I'm not going to comment. This part, however, is not correct. Having just recently stayed there as a Diamond, it was very clearly written on the vouchers that they were good at a wide variety of places. Unless you got very different vouchers, nothing was hidden.

In fact, we used them for drinks at the various bars, preferring the breakfast at the Kings Grill up the road.

As to the "can't upgrade because the rooms are sold out" issues- we didn't have it here, but have had it at other Hilton properties. I now bring up the Hilton app and already know what's available when I get to the desk...and can show them if/when they try to pull this one. It's worked on more than one occasion

Cheers.
I think you missed the point. I clearly stated that you can use the vouchers at any place at the resort. My point was the benefit is supposed to be for breakfast, and that's what I want. As I stated, I did use the voucher at other restaurants for other meals. I prefer not to go "up the road" for breakfast -- especially given the distance to the front and the hassel in getting the car. There is not a thing incorrect with what I said -- nothing. You may prefer using the vouchers differently than I would, but that doesn't make my opinion "not correct."

The ap idea is a really good one -- I actually have it on my phone, but didn't think of using it. If I return to the Hilton program, I will have to remember that.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:25 am

Honors upgrade, fewer points than standard room

Before the devaluation I made a 4 night res for May '14 at Waikoloa Village for 200, 000 points, standard room.

Last night I logged in to view my reservation and saw that I could upgrade to a better room for "more" points. The points per night for these upgraded rooms were LESS than the 50K I was spending on a standard room. I booked the 1 bedroom Royal Suite in the Palace Tower for about 46K per night--4K points p/n less than my standard room reservation. This suite is 1,900 sq feet! I received an email confirmation. (Data point: I'm a Gold.)

For even fewer points per night, I could have booked a 530 square foot room in the Lagoon Tower which was recently renovated. About an hour later I logged back in, and no rooms were available for my dates or any surrounding dates using points.

The difference of ~16K points hasn't been refunded to my account, but since I'm sure these offers were a glitch I'll happily give them up rather than call to inquire.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
Agree totally with you.

I must say that that was exactly our impression when Mrs FlyinDutchman and myself stayed there. All other observations about the state of the rooms, I can also agree with. Not likely returning there again.
Agree as well,

I stayed as a HH Diamond. Was given a room that smelled moldy (my lungs are very sensitive to mold and chemicals), in the farthest building from the parking (forget what it was called), with no view.

Was told there were "no upgrades available", but plenty was available online. I didn't complain, but I won't return.

Even dumber, though -- I was there on a time share tour. You would have thought that they would want to give me a nice upgrade to increase the chances of me paying huge sums of money for their timeshare.

I didn't think the breakfast was terrible, and actually remember mostly liking it (though it was >2 years ago?), but yes it was clearly overpriced. The other on-property restaurants were also clearly overpriced and mediocre.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
I think you missed the point. I clearly stated that you can use the vouchers at any place at the resort. My point was the benefit is supposed to be for breakfast, and that's what I want. As I stated, I did use the voucher at other restaurants for other meals. I prefer not to go "up the road" for breakfast -- especially given the distance to the front and the hassel in getting the car.
Totally agreed.
I think we timed that it took something like 20 minutes each way to get from the room to the car, so 40 minutes round trip. I need breakfast every day, and like to exercise after breakfast before heading out -- so the only option is to do it on property, so being nickel/dimed there is lame.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
There is not a thing incorrect with what I said -- nothing. You may prefer using the vouchers differently than I would, but that doesn't make my opinion "not correct."
I was responding to the point where you said that "they hide the fact that you can use the vouchers at any restaurant for any meal." As it's clearly printed on the vouchers themselves in non-small print, there is nothing hidden. So that part was incorrect.

Originally Posted by some dude
Totally agreed.
I think we timed that it took something like 20 minutes each way to get from the room to the car, so 40 minutes round trip. I need breakfast every day, and like to exercise after breakfast before heading out -- so the only option is to do it on property, so being nickel/dimed there is lame.
Things work differently for different people. We do our exercise first thing in the morning - at like 6 or 6:30, and then go for breakfast. We got from the Lagoon Tower to parking in like 10-12 minutes, so that's 20-24 minutes total. I'm not defending their "letter of the law" approach to breakfast. I'm just commenting that it works well for some, and not for others. I'd rather have the breakfast at the King's Grille, so $20 free vouchers for evening drinks is a better option for us.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I was responding to the point where you said that "they hide the fact that you can use the vouchers at any restaurant for any meal." As it's clearly printed on the vouchers themselves in non-small print, there is nothing hidden. So that part was incorrect.

Things work differently for different people. We do our exercise first thing in the morning - at like 6 or 6:30, and then go for breakfast. We got from the Lagoon Tower to parking in like 10-12 minutes, so that's 20-24 minutes total. I'm not defending their "letter of the law" approach to breakfast. I'm just commenting that it works well for some, and not for others. I'd rather have the breakfast at the King's Grille, so $20 free vouchers for evening drinks is a better option for us.

Cheers.
how far is the kings grill, can you walk there, we are going back this december (5th stay in last 3 years) and are looking for other options since the lagoon spoon went out, we are goingt o be with out a car again this time. we really like "not going anywhere" on these vacations to waikoloa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.