Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hhonors fan
My wife and I are heading to HWV for the first time in May. She has been wanting to "swim with dolphins" for years. I have been to the Dolphin Quest website and read about all of their different packages but I still have a couple of questions for the FT experts!

1. Are there any coupons or discounts for Dolphin Quest that I can get at the hotel (or anywhere else) when I check in? I know some hotels give out coupon books and other stuff for on property activities and restaurants.

2. Can I charge Dolphin Quest to my room folio so I can earn points for these charges?

3. This is probably a stretch, but I know Hilton has some options for using points for on property benefits at some hotels such as spa treatments. I didn't see anything on their website for the HWV but I thought I'd ask. Is there anyway to use points for any activities at this property?

4. Have any of you done Dolphin Quest at this property and if so, what are your thoughts? I know it is extremely overpriced, but did you at least have a good time and maybe which package did you purchase (30 min, 45 min, 1hr 30 min, etc....)?

5. Finally, any tips for the big island? We've been to Oahu and Maui 4 times each but have never made it to the big island. We're planning on seeing the volcanoes and ideas for other stuff would be great! Also, we're booked in a Royal Suite. I know they aren't in the newly renovated tower but are they at least still nice?

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions you all may have!!
1. no i have seen no such coupons for dolphin quest, they are a tenant of the hotel not part of the hotel,
2. yes you can charge it to the room and get points for the cost of the dq on your folio
4. we have done the wee tot 10 minute deal with kid and mom, glad we did it. we also purchased the 8x10 +20 and the video +35 but the basic session was only 95 or so, while not cheap it was pretty cool for my son
5. goto the beach at mile marker 69, its about 1/2 mile south of hapuna off the saem access road just turn left after the campground
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA and UA aluminium foil, Hilton gold
My wife and I are heading to HWV for the first time in May. She has been wanting to "swim with dolphins" for years. I have been to the Dolphin Quest website and read about all of their different packages but I still have a couple of questions for the FT experts!.....
Just wanted to let you know that your wife may need to re-set her expectations as far as "swimming with dolphins" in Hawaii. Over the years my husband and I have sat on the grass and watched many people at Dolphin Quest enjoy their brief (and expensive) moments with the dolphins. I would say at best you "wade" with them, maybe put your face in the water while watching them race to the other side of the pool to do a jump, etc. But no swimming. And in the wild in Hawaii, swimming near dolphins is actually against the law. For some reason many people I know have this vision and belief that it is actually possible in Hawaii to swim with dolphins. Not sure why that myth continues to perpetuate.

Anyway - Have a great time at HWV and enjoy the island!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Hilton Waikoloa Village®

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. The book/app looks very useful and I will definitely get one or the other. I told my wife that the "swimming with the dolphins" will probably be more like standing in the water while they swim by you, but she said that's the best it's probably ever going to get so it looks like she'll still be giving it a chance (I'll probably just stay out and take pictures or something). Thanks again for all of the input!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:41 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Used the book for many visits; got the app this past time... loved it.

I highly recommend taking the Mauna Kea Observatory Tour. They are done on weekends. You need to have a four wheel drive vehicle. You arrive at the Visitor Center by 1 pm. You will then see a video that also allows you to get accustomed to the altitude. The rangers will then lead a caravan with you in your own vehicle up to the summit. You will then get to go into Keck One telescope and usually meet one of the astronomers. You can then spend all the time you want until just past sunset on the summit. You can then come down and do some sky watching. Local amateur astronomers set up several telescopes at the Visitor Station.

We have done this every time we have been on the Big Island... and it is so worth it and always a highlight of our trip. Don't waste money on the paid tours... you do not get access to the observatory with them. And the tours are overpriced. Spend the money on the 4WD instead.

I also highly recommend you head over to the Hawaii Forum here on Flyertalk. Lots of great suggestions there.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:37 pm

that's the best it's probably ever going to get
FYI, we did the dolphin thing in Jamaica. You swam with them, rode them around by hanging to the dorsal fin and they even came underneath you and throw you into the air seaworld style.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Was "On Island" and stopped by the Hilton to visit my favorite boat captain and they had just removed all of the trees on the islands at the Lagoon tower to eliminate the Myna noise. All new sod on the islands. There is also a new work platform attached to the boat landing there. No one knows what is going on. Seems odd to me that they removed the trees during high season........
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at this property a few times before. I'll be on the Big Island with my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) later this year. I'm Gold. I'm kind of "on the fence" about whether to return to the HWV for a few nights. But the Points and Money price is pretty reasonable -- certainly when compared to resorts on the other islands. What sort of comped food would we get -- I'm a little confused about that from the recent discussion. That might sway my decision, as I dislike showing up at expensive hotels and getting no perks.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I've stayed at this property a few times before. I'll be on the Big Island with my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) later this year. I'm Gold. I'm kind of "on the fence" about whether to return to the HWV for a few nights. But the Points and Money price is pretty reasonable -- certainly when compared to resorts on the other islands. What sort of comped food would we get -- I'm a little confused about that from the recent discussion. That might sway my decision, as I dislike showing up at expensive hotels and getting no perks.
You will get two $10 food vouchers per night per room. You can use it at any restaurants or coffee/food stands on property at any time of the day. If you want to use it at the breakfast buffet, it is around $26 to $28 per person.. so you will have to come with the with rest. $10 is about enough to get a cup of coffee and a piece of pastry at the coffee stand in the morning, or a soda + a hot dog at lunch by the pool.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
You will get two $10 food vouchers per night per room. You can use it at any restaurants or coffee/food stands on property at any time of the day. If you want to use it at the breakfast buffet, it is around $26 to $28 per person.. so you will have to come with the with rest. $10 is about enough to get a cup of coffee and a piece of pastry at the coffee stand in the morning, or a soda + a hot dog at lunch by the pool.
Thanks. I guess nobody is going to stay here for the Gold benefits.

EDIT: If I pay the $125 + 20K points, do I also have to pay the $25 resort fee? The website doesn't mention it. If I do, I'm probably better off just booking a promo room rate, which seem to start at $169. I'm assuming I'm also on the hook for the (gulp) $17 parking fee?

Last edited by iahphx; Feb 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm Reason: more
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:23 pm

Hilton Costs

Thanks. I guess nobody is going to stay here for the Gold benefits.

EDIT: If I pay the $125 + 20K points, do I also have to pay the $25 resort fee? The website doesn't mention it. If I do, I'm probably better off just booking a promo room rate, which seem to start at $169. I'm assuming I'm also on the hook for the (gulp) $17 parking fee?
That is an interesting question. Using all points, the resort fee is waived. I'm guessing that it won't be if you are paying anything out of pocket. With two teenagers, get the discount food card (I believe that it's $20/day) that comes with two daily cocktails (basically the cost of the card) and , I believe, 10% off of consumables around the resort. That will make your coupons stretch further.

I have found that all resorts charge for parking now. Nickles and dimes are the new paradigm.......
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksyrah
That is an interesting question. Using all points, the resort fee is waived. I'm guessing that it won't be if you are paying anything out of pocket. With two teenagers, get the discount food card (I believe that it's $20/day) that comes with two daily cocktails (basically the cost of the card) and , I believe, 10% off of consumables around the resort. That will make your coupons stretch further.

I have found that all resorts charge for parking now. Nickles and dimes are the new paradigm.......
Well, with the nickel and diming, and lean Gold benefits, they lost my business. I just had 2 nights, with an evening KOA arrival, before heading to the east side for a Kapoho house rental (which I highly recommend). There just wasn't a satisfying rate to book. It seems silly to spend 50,000 points for a hotel with room rates of only $169. But that $169 rate is really $237 when you add tax, resort fee and parking. And I couldn't give them $125 and 20,000 points (Points & Money) when the room rate is only $169.

Instead, I booked the newly-renovated and well-praised Marriott Courtyard King Kamehameha in Kona. It's not in the same class as the HWV, but using an online travel agency coupon (others have used the Marriott LNF process), it's only $100 all in with no resort fee and, reportedly, free parking across the street. For the time frame I have, it seemed like the better deal.

BTW, I'll still probably stop in at Waikoloa if for no other reason than to exchange rental cars. Folks might want to have a look in the National Car forum about the opportunities to reduce your nasty airport car rental taxes by swapping cars at the Waikoloa National.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:18 am

King Kam

Well, with the nickel and diming, and lean Gold benefits, they lost my business. I just had 2 nights, with an evening KOA arrival, before heading to the east side for a Kapoho house rental (which I highly recommend). There just wasn't a satisfying rate to book. It seems silly to spend 50,000 points for a hotel with room rates of only $169. But that $169 rate is really $237 when you add tax, resort fee and parking. And I couldn't give them $125 and 20,000 points (Points & Money) when the room rate is only $169.

Instead, I booked the newly-renovated and well-praised Marriott Courtyard King Kamehameha in Kona. It's not in the same class as the HWV, but using an online travel agency coupon (others have used the Marriott LNF process), it's only $100 all in with no resort fee and, reportedly, free parking across the street. For the time frame I have, it seemed like the better deal.

BTW, I'll still probably stop in at Waikoloa if for no other reason than to exchange rental cars. Folks might want to have a look in the National Car forum about the opportunities to reduce your nasty airport car rental taxes by swapping cars at the Waikoloa National.
Stayed at the King Kam 1-1/2 weeks ago on points. Being just a silver, they gave me an oceanfront room. Not quite the same as the hilton, but good bang for the buck. There is no free parking - $14/night. Across the street is a pay lot, behind is a shopping center lot. There is a city lot a couple of blocks away, but I wouldn't leave my car there overnight.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksyrah
Stayed at the King Kam 1-1/2 weeks ago on points. Being just a silver, they gave me an oceanfront room. Not quite the same as the hilton, but good bang for the buck. There is no free parking - $14/night. Across the street is a pay lot, behind is a shopping center lot. There is a city lot a couple of blocks away, but I wouldn't leave my car there overnight.
I think folks have been leaving their cars in the shopping center lot near the King Kam to avoid the parking charge. I'll investigate this possibility further before my visit. Nobody likes to pay silly hotel parking charges, but getting your car towed is far worse.

Having stayed at the HWV before and having attended a luau at the King Kam (pre-Marriott refurbishment, though) I know that the King Kam is not in the same class as the HWV. But at less than half the price, I think it will suit our purposes fine. I wouldn't stay there, though, for a honeymoon or "once in a lifetime" type trip. Although folks who like to be closer to the action, and to a wide array of services and restaurants, might actually prefer the King Kam's location.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:53 pm

HWV - thanks for the tips!

Going in 2 weeks - so happy to see all the tips; especially (my favorite) Just ask with a smile "What kind of view or suite upgrades are available to me as a gold today?"

I was going to use the E-Check-in’ area at the HHonors Lobby Reception Desk as it was touted as faster but then no upgrade, right?

Is the 10% off $29.95 dining card really worth it? I'm going to try to eat off-site almost all the time but if I could use it for drinks, then I'm game. How do you know which restaurants will take the $10 certificates for drinks?

Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by AKMooselover

I was going to use the E-Check-in’ area at the HHonors Lobby Reception Desk as it was touted as faster but then no upgrade, right?

Is the 10% off $29.95 dining card really worth it? I'm going to try to eat off-site almost all the time but if I could use it for drinks, then I'm game. How do you know which restaurants will take the $10 certificates for drinks?
Never used it. Probably never will. You will still need to go to the desk to get your envelope with vouchers and water coupons. Might as well just stand in line and then ask for an upgrade there.

The dining card includes (or included) 2 drinks per day. In the past - Malolo Lounge, Boat Landing Cantina, and Lagoon Bar have taken them for drinks. I have found that a Jack and Coke is cheaper than their Mai Tai's and are stiffer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.