Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
To me, the best part of the resort was sitting on the grass at the west end at Buddah Point and watching the sunsets. We had direct views of the sunset from our room as it looked out over the ocean at the Buddah Point end, but something about sitting on the grass at the edge of lava rocks made it special. And every sunset was different. Even got the green flash as the sun disappeared on one evening.
Wheel of fortune has overtaken the whole grass area right now. The set is almost as high as the ocean tower and huge. They light up the whole hotel at night which you can see from Kona and probably beyond. I can't imagine those in the lagoon tower facing it could possibly enjoy the light. I was amazed at the set and everything that goes into the production. They bring over 40 ocean containers just for it. We went to a taping last night which was fun but long.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
There are small turtles here. Not sure if the big ones can make it in the lagoon. I seem to always run into them on the normal ocean beaches. A full grown one freaked my 6 year old out while snorkeling, along with the eels in the lagoon.
The ones I saw were pretty big. They just follow the people on the paddle boards. I didn't see any eels by the shore. I saw a woman hugging the turtle while her husband or boy friend took pictures. That didn't seem legal.. molesting the turtle and all...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Waikoloa - Presidential or Naupaka suite?

I have an award stay booked for HWV the first week of March (Deluxe Oceanview), but after poking around today on the Hilton website, I am seeing the top suites at HWV available for what I think are crazy cheap prices for this property. The 2-bedroom Presidential Suites are $540 a night, and the Makai Naia / Naupaka Suites are $635. Does anybody have experience with these rooms? Would you be willing to pay this rate for one or the other of them? There is only me and my Mom in our party, we have stayed at HWV 7 times previously - always in the ocean tower, and our major plan for this trip is whale watching. But we do like pampering ourselves (within reason) and have never experienced a suite at this property.

As I see it, the pros and cons of the suites are:
Presidential Suite Pros:
Almost 3200 square feet
2 bedrooms
Cheaper
Presidential Suite Cons:
Not refurbished
Might be put in the Palace Tower
Naupaka Suite Pros:
Refurbished room / MAKAI experience
2 stories (actually, not sure if that is a pro or a con)
Large lanai overlooking the dolphins
Closer to front desk/resort exit
Naupaka Suite Cons:
Just under 1700 square feet
More expensive

So, what is everybody's opinion? Thanks so much!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by tvelinsk
There is only me and my Mom in our party . . .
I have stayed in a Presidential Suite on points. But we had 5 people, and it was that or get two rooms. Just two people in one of those suites would be a lot of real estate. My kids totally loved the room, and it is nice to have the extra space, the piano, a giant lanai, a decent kitchen, and a washer/dryer.

I have not stayed in the Naupaka Suites, so I cannot comment on those.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Gold staying on points (here right now)...

I'm in the Lagoon tower, the room is very nice, robes. Got all the perks mentioned earlier, most of which I won't use.

We're mainly here to see the volcanos, it is about a 2.5 hour drive. Worth it.

The grounds seem nice. I was given some sort of bracelet that has something to do with the pools, but I'm not a swimmer and I doubt I'll spend any time there.

The food is overpriced, as is hotel food everywhere. The fish sandwich at the Lagoon Grill is very good. The drinks are even more overpriced, stay away from the Boat Landing Cantina, but the bar in the main building is terrific if you're independently wealthy.

I don't like the idea of captive dolphins, that is apparently a thing here.

I have no desire to do a hotel luau.

Our room has a great view of the ocean. and the grounds are ideal for photographing sunsets.

There seems to be a "tours and activity" desk every 35 feet. Not sure what the deal is here, I assume it is a major profit center. We do our own thing.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:38 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Mrs. Outoftown and I will be at HWV again (4th time), but it's been a couple of years and this time it's via the timeshare presentation. We'll be there in two weeks - Oct 19 through the 25th. Based on the useful information in the posts, it sounds like I should ask for Makai (used to be Lagoon?) tower now instead of the Ocean tower. The rental car and a $200 Hilton voucher are thrown in the deal, along with a lot of HH points. Is breakfast still a part of the concierge lounge? I got a laugh out of the meal issues. We always go to Costco for food. I remember eating Costco sushi at the HWV pool. We also got a styrofoam cooler from Longs Drugs to keep our drinks cool. Should I be aware of any other changes?

I'm Diamond if that matters.

Instead of any major chain hotel, we stayed in a rented house 2012 in Keaau near Hilo and walked to where the lava is flowing across the road, then flew over to enjoy Hotel Lanai before Larry Ellison bought the island.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by outoftown
.., it sounds like I should ask for Makai (used to be Lagoon?) tower now instead of the Ocean tower. ..
It is called the Lagoon Tower, and some rooms (maybe all) are marked "Makai".
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
I am curious about how you got your timeshare offer.. I have never had the opportunity to do a timeshare presentation at this resort...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetSet05
I am curious about how you got your timeshare offer.. I have never had the opportunity to do a timeshare presentation at this resort...
I was there this past August. In the welcome packet was an invitation to participate in an orientation of hotel and surrounding area and island. At this orientation they invited us to participate in the time share offer, which my wife and I did. No pressure to buy. Got our $100 resort credit voucher and our Holo Holo card for great discounts on things we were going to do anyways. Saved a ton of money for a few hours of our time.

The invitation to the orientation doesn't really make reference to the time share and starts at 8:00 AM. Almost didn't go but thought we would as we woke up early. Orientation is good.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Our family is thinking about this resort for a trip early spring 2015. To date, what rooms have been renovated and are the better ones to choose from? We are a family with two kids ages 5 and 2, what location might be best for us?

I am a Gold with some points to burn and 2 free night certs. Can I only use the certs for the lowest level room? What if I book a higher level room with points and base level room with the certs....will I have to move rooms during the stay? Just curious.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:02 pm

Bump, see #2420 for question.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Bump, see #2420 for question.
today only, cyber Monday deal. rooms for 99 bucks. save your points. good luck.^
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bearkatt
today only, cyber Monday deal. rooms for 99 bucks. save your points. good luck.^
Ha I saw that too! Nice.
What rooms would be considered newer rooms or the best option for families with small kids?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Ha I saw that too! Nice.
What rooms would be considered newer rooms or the best option for families with small kids?
makaii view lagoon tower they are as low as 139, they were refurbished about 2 years ago, its the best location and best view.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by bearkatt
Hi bearkatt,

Many thanks for posting this info!!!^^^

I have just booked rooms in mid april for a week (full ocean front ocean tower for $119 per night) as I like the ocean tower for a week's vacation from the UK.

I was there last april and loved it.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.