Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum,Marriott, HA Premier, HP Silver, BA, SW, CO
No free breakfast for me, I chose internet access instead. As far as the difference between a standard room and the Lagoon cabana room...not sure if there's a difference in size or amenities. But the Cabana rooms are offered as an upgrade on the hotel's website (meaning you get to pay more for it) by either $ or points.

Only problem was that housekeeping locked my lanai door when I was gone. It's the quickest access and I was carrying my first Primo 6-pack since my high school days on Maui in the early 70's. (Oops - I meant my college days, of course!!

Lot's of new food choices at Queens Marketplace, which is a center across the street from the Kings Shops. (20 minute walk) The usual SBux, Macaroni Grill, Charlie's Thai Cuisine, Sansei Seafood & Sushi Restaurant. A Food Court with: Marble Slab Creamery Ice Cream, Arby's, Subway, Paradise Pizza & Grill --- (they have plate lunches and will make a loco moco if you ask) --- D.Q., Noodle House.

Say, does anybody know who lives in that huge house over the wall from the tennis courts?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum,Marriott, HA Premier, HP Silver, BA, SW, CO
Follow up to my reply...

...wait a minute. When I lived on the Valley Isle, the drinking age was 18, so that/those Primo beers were legal shortly after graduation!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by srsaz
...wait a minute. When I lived on the Valley Isle, the drinking age was 18, so that/those Primo beers were legal shortly after graduation!
Of course! THAT explains EVERYTHNG...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite

Lot's of new food choices at Queens Marketplace, which is a center across the street from the Kings Shops. (20 minute walk) The usual SBux, Macaroni Grill, Charlie's Thai Cuisine, Sansei Seafood & Sushi Restaurant.
I just completed a stay at Marriott Waikoloa where they treated me very well as a Gold ( I hear these resorts are at about 50% occupancy rates, so that may be the reason!). Marriott $20 resort fee included HSIA, self parking, free mai-tai per day and 1/2 day snorkel rental. Never stayed at Hilton Waikoloa, but it looked like a BIG place, like Hawaiian Village, which just has way too many people for me if full. Marriott was literally right across the street from Kings Village (and next to Quenns) which was great for an early am Strabucks.

FYI, Sansei has some type of appetizer deal if you go early (when open at 5:30 - there were lots of people waiting for them to open doors) and Charley's was great - they have 'combo' plates for $20 which could be two meals.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
According to the Hilton Waikaloa site, all the rooms now have all Kohala Spa bath amenities. Is this true? On my last trip you only got the coconut/mango lotion - all the rest of the amenities were the regular Hilton Crabtree and Evelyn stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Nice to see some positive input re:Waikaloa.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tvelinsk
According to the Hilton Waikaloa site, all the rooms now have all Kohala Spa bath amenities. Is this true? On my last trip you only got the coconut/mango lotion - all the rest of the amenities were the regular Hilton Crabtree and Evelyn stuff.
On my six night stay in mid-December my standard room in the Lagoon Tower had the full compliment of Kohala Spa amenities every day. I love the smell of that coconut lotion, BTW.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:32 pm

Bathroom amenities

Kohala Coco-Mango Essence Shampoo
Kohala Coco-Mango Essence Conditioner
Kohala Coco-Mango Essence Moisturizer
two bars of fancy soap. (sorry, I tossed the boxes already)
Single-ply

I think I'll visit the Marriott today, to see what the earlier poster experienced.

I think we HHonor's members must be a heartier bunch because I see a lot of us making the 20 minute walk to the King & Queen centers. The Kings shuttle bus pulled up to the Marriott's door which is right across the street from the center! Seems like a pretty short trip, even if the fare is only a buck!

(only kidding Marriott clients!)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:11 am

Cheapest meal @ HWV and "high speed" internet (not!)

After spending $50 for a cheeseburger and 2 mai tai's on a very hot afternoon, I decided to find the most food for the dollar here at the HWV. My choice?

The $17 pizza at the Orchid Marketplace. Thin crust and baked fresh it's a full meal for at least two people -- maybe three if you're not too hungry. At $8.50 or $5.67 per person it easily beats the $17 burgers and $5 scoops of macaroni salad.

Is it unusual that there would be different prices for the same drink purchased at different bars? It was only 50 cents but it kinda bugged me.

The internet here is dismal! If you need access, you'd be better off using your own wi-fi card, or even buying a new one just for the trip.

According to www.speedtest.net (which the hotel's IT dept. used when they brought another wireless modem) the average download speed was just 0.90 Mb/s, which was 1/3rd as fast as the hotel's provider's statewide average of 2.66 Mb/s and about 1/5th as fast compared to the overall statewide average of 4.35 Mb/s.

This seems to be a consistent result because the test showed results for the modem's IP address going back as far as February. Since the hotel is noticeably slower than the statewide average, I figure they're the ones that haven't invested in faster equipment for their guests.

They can advertise that they have hi-speed, but they really don't.

Sorry for the rant, but if I was paying for hi-speed instead of getting it as my Diamond benefit this trip, I'd be beyond furious.

Other than the price of food and drink plus the laughable internet service, the HWV is still my favorite Hilton in Hawaii. (I haven't stayed at the Emb or Grand Wailea, so I can't compare them.)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:20 am

Cheapest meal @ HWV and "high speed" internet (not!)

After spending $50 for a cheeseburger and 2 mai tai's on a very hot afternoon, I decided to find the most food for the dollar here at the HWV. My choice?

The $17 pizza at the Orchid Marketplace. Thin crust and baked fresh it's a full meal for at least two people -- maybe three if you're not too hungry. At $8.50 or $5.67 per person it easily beats the $17 burgers and $5 scoops of macaroni salad.

Is it unusual that there would be different prices for the same drink purchased at different bars? It was only 50 cents but it kinda bugged me.

The internet here is dismal! If you need access, you'd be better off using your own wi-fi card, or even buying a new one just for the trip.

According to www.speedtest.net (which the hotel's IT dept. used when they brought another wireless modem) the average download speed was just 0.90 Mb/s, which was 1/3rd as fast as the hotel's provider's statewide average of 2.66 Mb/s and about 1/5th as fast compared to the overall statewide average of 4.35 Mb/s.

This seems to be a consistent result because the test showed results for the modem's IP address going back as far as February. Since the hotel is noticeably slower than the statewide average, I figure they're the ones that haven't invested in faster equipment for their guests.

They can advertise that they have hi-speed, but they really don't.

Sorry for the rant, but if I was paying for hi-speed instead of getting it as my Diamond benefit this trip, I'd be beyond furious.

Other than the price of food and drink plus the laughable internet service, the HWV is still my favorite Hilton in Hawaii. (I haven't stayed at the Emb or Grand Wailea, so I can't compare them.)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed here 5 times, once when it was a Hyatt and I'll admit each time has been a tiny bit more disappointing but I still recommend it for first time visitors. This Christmas I booked one night, just to say hello and show my travelling party the property, then booked 7 nights at a vrbo; 3 bedrooms, sleeps 8, for around $250/night within 2 miles of this property. Just reminding travellers who get agitated; we do have choices.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:21 pm

What's a "vrbo"?

Variable Rate Beach Occupancy?
Very Reasonable Bathing Opportunities?
Vacancy Reduced Because Of....."

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Variable Rate Beach Occupancy?
Very Reasonable Bathing Opportunities?
Vacancy Reduced Because Of....."

Vacation Rental By Owner
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garygleck
Just wanted to report that as gold members, we used points for 2 nights last week. We were given a room overlooking the ocean int he Ocean Tower. As perks, we were given two $10 certificates per night, to be used as we wished in almost any restaurant.
Yeah, when I checked in last week I couldn't believe they changed the breakfast amenity AGAIN. I was somewhat annoyed because 10 bucks (times 2, they gave me a daily cert for my wife, but not for my kids who were also travelling with me) seemed pretty pathetic at this pricey hotel. I asked the clerk when this change had occured and she said "last week."

Figuring that 10 bucks was worthless for breakfast, I generally used my certs to buy the "pizza special" at the Orchid Marketplace for lunch. $19 + tax (almost exactly equal to my two daily certs) got you a decent semi-gourmet pizza with 2 toppings and 2 sodas -- a definite bargain at this hotel. So instead of getting a free breakfast, I basically got free lunch. The only problem is that the pizza will definitely get tiring after a couple days -- and other deals are few and far between. I guess you could use a cert for (almost) a free drink, or perhaps 2 beers at happy hour. Or if you have your family with you, perhaps the $2 afternoon ice cream special.

My best food tip though is to drive 2 miles up the road and buy groceries at the new Foodland Farms store at the Mauna Lani shops. No need anymore to drive to Kona (yuk) or Waikoloa Village for a "real" supermarket. This store has "regular" Hawaiian supermarket prices -- which means expensive by mainland standards, but decent prices on lots of sale items. Easy to fill your Hilton mini-fridge with drinks and snacks.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I was somewhat annoyed because 10 bucks (times 2, they gave me a daily cert for my wife, but not for my kids who were also travelling with me) seemed pretty pathetic at this pricey hotel.
Are the certs dated? I am going to be there for 6 nights in a few weeks, and was wondering if I could combine 2 certs each in a morning to get the buffet for $4.95 for 3 mornings, and then find somewhere else for breakfast the other mornings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.