Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA No staus, HHonors Gold, SPG none, Hyatt-none
it looks like Ed did reply, he posted his response to a another thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post10913977

Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
I concur with other recent posts that the property remains in excellent shape. Despite whatever cutbacks may be necessary in other areas to stay viable, they continue to maintain the property to high standards.

They also have rennovated a number of their suites. The one I had was exceptional - every bit the equal to the executive suite I had earlier this month at the Conrad Chicago. You can tell these updated rooms by the dark rattan furniture on the lanai.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Originally Posted by nearSACTO
it looks like Ed did reply, he posted his response to a another thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post10913977
Check out post #24 on page 2 (of this thread).

A lot of us flyertalkers were more interested in Ed's statement regarding his conversation with the GM than his accommodations for that particular trip. Again, reading that post, Ed started a new thread specifically to not have the information "buried" in HWV thread you've referenced.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
I concur with other recent posts that the property remains in excellent shape. Despite whatever cutbacks may be necessary in other areas to stay viable, they continue to maintain the property to high standards.

They also have rennovated a number of their suites. The one I had was exceptional - every bit the equal to the executive suite I had earlier this month at the Conrad Chicago. You can tell these updated rooms by the dark rattan furniture on the lanai
I guess Ed got what he wanted in exchange for agreeing not to discuss anything. If you notice his profile, he is a HH Gold. How many golds get renovated suites at HWV?

It was a nice investment for the manager...
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Good catch.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TR7_DFW
It was a nice investment for the manager...
Or a nice play by Ed...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by maltman1
snipwe get to the Gold/Diamond breakfast place its a joke a few small danish's and some juice and coffee, thats it, and to top it off some Hilton person tried to sell us a timeshare.
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Ever since when was a "Hot Breakfast" an expectation of having Gold/Diamond status? It never ceases to amaze me how many people expect this from HH and then get indignant that there are no free hot options available.
There's an awful lot of space between just "a few small danish's and some juice and coffee" and a hot breakfast. I've had plenty of very enjoyable cold buffets, where there was nice fruit, smoked salmon, cheese, etc. Especially in Hawaii, some tropical fruit is appreciated.

Originally Posted by gvaughn
There are many Hilton hotels outside of the US that far exceed the official stated benefits - IMHO. By doing so they generate a lot of good will and loyalty among HHonors members.

Also, while a full breakfast buffet might not be a stated benefit and isn't something to criticize the hotel for (for not providing to elite members)...it may be something that entices an HHonors member who is on the fence to stay there, over another hotel. I will oftentimes go out of my way to stay at a nice Hilton in Asia if I think that I'm getting extra benefit from staying there - like at the Conrad Hong Kong - because they treat their guests so well. If I knew I wasn't getting any additional benefit for staying at a Hilton, I might go on Expedia and see if I could get a better deal by just paying for a room somewhere else.
Indeed! I go out of my way to stay at the Conrad Hong Kong because we always have such an enjoyable time. We even add a couple of days in HKG to trips wherever we can because it's such a nice place to stay. And so far I've never stayed there on business, so it's always my choice and my dime (or points -- sometimes we pay and sometimes we redeem).

Originally Posted by milesrus
A big Amen here! when comparing Europe or Hong Kong stays, these are probably business stays at $250-$400 a night.
I've always stayed on my own dime. Even on business trips, HKG has always been a personal stop-over choice and I pay.

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I just don't understand the uproar over people missing out on the "breakfast." HHonors doesn't owe you a hot, four-course breakfast [snip]

If you're going to Hawaii and your vacation will be totally ruined by not having a few pieces of watermelon and a mini-muffin available to you each morning, I strong suggest you not go to Hawaii.
I think this is unfair. A nice breakfast makes people feel good. IMHO, it can be nice without being hot. Personally, I almost never eat eggs, and I never eat sausage or bacon or any of the other hot greasy meats. When smoked salmon or other fish is offered, it's a terrific option and one I enjoy a lot.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
When I look at the fall 2009 prices at HWV, I see you can get it for around $170 including 2 free breakfast buffet. Seems pretty good price to me and also you don't have to worry about the breakfast benefits any more.

WJ
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
just finished a 4 night stay

booked the lowest priced room available - garden view.

When I checked in had been upgraded to an ocean view King in the Ocean Tower.

Nice sized room with a nice view.

The tram was running but we walked nonetheless.
The tram was out of service the rest of our stay. Had one staff member say that they were repairing the tram and were actually going to do some replacement. I did see persons working on the tram so believe that the staff member was correct. Boats were running.

We were given coupons for the continental breakfast in the Palm Terrace. I actually thought the continental spread was very extensive. A wide-variety of fresh fruit, lots of breakfast pastries, plus cereal (hot oatmeal also) yogurt, salmon, capers, a variety of cheeses, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Juices and coffee. We had plenty to eat and I did not feel it was a come-down. I do remember the executive lounge spread and this was similar (actually may be more extensive).

They are apparently charging for parking, however the entire time I was there, the exit gate was broken (had been for some time I was told) so you just drive through without having to operate it with the room key which is the only way they would have to track use.

I have stayed here a number of times in the past, and it did appear that there were fewer people here than I remember. I am sure that occupancy is down. There were two conferences that overlapped my stay, so that helped occupancy. Plus there was some shooting of a VH1 reality show about dating that was being shot on premises (isn't reality TV an oxymoron?). I assume cast and crew were staying on premises, so all of that helped revenue.

By and large the stay was similar to that I have experienced in the past. I did not sense service being down and the property appears in similar shape to the last time I was here 2 or 3 years ago.

I did notice that the bar was very empty each time we went in for a nightcap. Did not eat at any of the on-site restaurants (other than breakfast in the Palm), as I have never been much impressed with them anyway. The Italian restaurant was closed the entire time were were there. Not sure about Kamuela Provision as we never got over there, but the only places open between the lobby and Ocean Tower were Kirin, the Chinese place and Imari, the Japanese place. Boat landing pavilion was also open.

I also noticed that returning later at night there was plenty of parking in the lot. In the past that has not always been the case. I can remember really having to ferret out a spot because the lot had been so full. No more.

New addition to the area since I was last here, is the Queens Market, accross from the old Kings Market. A wonderful grocery (offshoot of the ABC stores) that has a deli, good selection of wines and beer and groceries. We had some take out sushi which was quite good. I noticed many people walking to their rooms at the Hilton with grocery bags from there. People clearly loading up for snacks or more in their rooms.

There are also a couple of new restaurants there. We ate at one, Sansei, which was quite good. Hostess told us that they do an early-bird special on Sundays and Mondays, and people line up for it. We did not take advantage as that is not our style.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:50 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs up

denis in denver - thank you very much for the nice review. I wish I could spare the time away right now, sounds like a great experience.

was there any problem with this "vog" volcanic smog situation?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Wow....

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
When I look at the fall 2009 prices at HWV, I see you can get it for around $170 including 2 free breakfast buffet. Seems pretty good price to me and also you don't have to worry about the breakfast benefits any more.

WJ
No kidding? That is below my threshold for what I will burn points for anyway, so I would definitely choose to pay for the room as opposed to using a GLONP!

Great information....man, I guess their occupancy rate must be down. I don't think I've seen a rate that low.

Dawn
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Two years ago the government rate was $150, last year it was up to $180/night. Since the closure of the executive lounge and the reports of vog we have decided to try Kauai instead of the big Island this year.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer

was there any problem with this "vog" volcanic smog situation?
No.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thumbs up

Found a rate like this in early May of $174.30 including breakfast buffet for two. Required a deposit of 30% and a 90 day advance booking. Since the normal pay in full advance purchase rate for the same dates was $186 with no breakfast this seemed to be a real no brainer type bargain. Did a bit of searching since this rate was not available for some dates in May.

WJ
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:52 pm
Original Member

WJ
Also same rate in July 09, 174usd inc 2 breakfasts. 30% deposit
Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Just wanted to bump this thread back to the the top as I have just returned from a week at the HWV.

I was upgraded to a suite in the Ocean Tower which was very satisfactory. They are providing free continental breakfast coupons for gold and diamond members which I wasn't impressed with at first but the spread in the Palm Terrace won me over as it was easy to find different food to try each day, all of which was excellent. The service at the Terrace was either excellent or terrible, depending on your server that day. Employee morale seemed low throughout the hotel which was undoubtedly due to the recent cutbacks at the hotel. The parking gates appeared to be fixed however I was not charged for parking by using my room key to get in and out of the lot. $15 a day for self park and $21 for valet. I never had trouble finding a spot but if you get in late it can be a long walk. Both the tram and the boats were running during my stay.

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurants (aside from the pizza place in the Lagoon tower, very reasonable Btw) but the prices didn't seem too outrageous from what I saw from a brief perusal of some of their menus. The convenience stores throughout the hotel had good selection but the prices were very high. I bought two six packs of beer the first night, total $49. Needless to say I bought the rest of my room alcohol from the gourmet market up the street (take the shuttle from the lower lobby, $1 each way).

I also did the hotel Luau and would highly recommend it. The show wasn't the best that I have seen but the food was excellent. Also I would recommend the Ali'i seating (an extra $26) as that covers all your drinks and you get great seats and are waited on. Also the sunset cruise through Ocean Sports at the hotel is a great way to spend an afternoon (free drinks! and the food wasn't bad either).

All in all while the employee service wasn't up to what I would consider Diamond standards the many amenities offered by the hotel definitely help to make up for it. Along the original lines of this thread I would like to see more benefits offered to Diamond members as they seemed to be the same for Gold or Diamond. They need to reopen the concierge lounge and perhaps do some employee customer service training. Overall I am left with a generally positive impression of the hotel but not an overwhelmingly one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.