Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Absolutely....

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not trashing anything - I've stayed at HWV quite a few times under its previous management. I've had great experiences at many other Hilton properties as well. My beef is with Hilton/Hhonors policy towards Golds - as mentioned before, they hand out Gold status to anyone with a pulse, then complain there are too many and cut back the benefits. A stupid business decision.

Your post is way off base. The reimbursement comes from Hilton for rooms sold for awards. Unlike SPG, where we're not subject to redemption restrictions, a Hilton property can restrict access to free rooms if it wants to offer more rooms for sale.

The reimbursement amount is between the property and Hhonors - it's not our job to make up the difference you personally perceive exists.

If you want to throw your money away by giving it to the hotel for absolutely no valid reason, then have fun - but to suggest we should all be stuck with a $100/day charge for our free room is beyond ludicrous. We already paid for those rooms by spending at other properties, or other channels to earn points.

If the HWV is unhappy with its participation in Hhonors and feels it's getting the shaft, they can leave the program and seek their fortunes independently or with another program.

A big for suggesting that anyone who redeems a free room and doesn't voluntarily dump cash at the hotel to make up for it is a free-loader. I guess you feel the hotel is a qualified charity of some sort.

I don't like to post replies that don't add anything, but I just have to say how much I agree w/bocastephen.

When I read the suggestion to "require" people using awards to spend $100 per day, I thought to myself, "are you serious?" Just like bocastephen did in his first reply--he took the words right out of my mouth. Then I thought, "hum....perhaps this guy works for them..." I don't know, but I never heard of something so ridiculous in my life.

People (me included) go off site to eat because WE DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE ENTIRE TIME AT ANY HOTEL. It reminds me of people that are on cruises and will rush back to the ship to eat lunch (because in their minds, it is already paid for), instead of enjoying a lunch on the island/country they are in. We love exploring...we get cars everywhere we go and drive to places that many folks wouldn't even consider. We don't NOT eat at the hotel to avoid the cost, but rather, we venture out to enjoy the island. Depending on the length of the stay, guests will try a restauant or two on site, but to require a minimum amount of money for guests to spend would just be so ridiculous.

Dawn
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
My wife and I checked in to the HWV on 12/7. As a Diamond member we originally sent a request via email 1 month ago to the generic email address, [email protected] and received no reply.....

Upon checkin, we were assigned a room on the ground floor of the Lagoon tower. We received our continental breakfast coupons....which say for Gold and Diamond members. I called down to find out the difference on how Golds and Diamonds are treated. Apparently, Diamonds receive preference on upgrades as the only difference. With the occupancy level at what it is right now I am disgusted with my lack of upgrade.

Service here is poor and no follow up from anyone on the condition of our room or stay so far. Do I feel like a well treated top tier level Diamond? -- No way at all.

Otherwise, the property and facilities are great.

Our first night was at the ResortQuest Kona by the Sea....hands down a better place IMHO and much better service -
Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:25 pm

Kudos to milesrus

I would gladly spend my $100.00 a day on the property if it meant to keep one of the best properties in hawaii open and operating at a high level. Do you think its fair that people eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner and concierge and then complain when they close the room. Its a two way street, business and consumer. When consumer takes unfair advantage, bad things happen. Support the resort. Still dreamin.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by waikaloa dreamin
When consumer takes unfair advantage, bad things happen.
What does that mean? Nobody is squatting at the resort or doing anything "unfair". If you don't pay lots of money out of pocket to a hotel...you're taking advantage of the resort?

I'm just wondering if you guys all think when you book a mileage award on an airline, should you also be loading up on extra baggage fees and lots of drinks, etc...to make up for the fact that you're flying "for free" on an award flight? Maybe tip the pilot and crew a few hundred bucks as well.

Can you guys just spend LOTS of extra money at the resort, since you seem willing and able, so the rest of us don't have to. I'm certainly not spending more than I would otherwise, just because my hotel was an award stay. That's complete and utter nonsense.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Originally Posted by milesrus
To clarify, I would have no problem being charged $600 ($100 a night) for a 175,000 award.
I would. I've been travelling professionally for almost four years, and 175K points is about 2 years' of travel, including HH credit-card bonuses. Some folks can pick that up much quicker, but most folks will never sniff 175,000 points in ten years.

To take a high amount of points and then say, "It's not enough, please add cash equivalent to almost half your room rate," for a reward that's specifically designated for those properties, that's crazy.

Waikoloa Dreaming, I think you're suggesting that customers are eating the concierge. I do not approve of that sort of behavior, although Diamonds should have the occasional instance of cannibalism overlooked.

Last edited by NewsBruin; Dec 10, 2008 at 11:43 pm
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:50 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by cswusd
As Golds, we were given two certificates per day. No certificates were given for children. I was told I would have to pay full price for the children. Also, I was told I could not use 4 certificates per day and skip certain days.
This is just ridiculous. I didn't mind just getting two certs per day, but not letting us use four at a time? Pretty poor way to treat us, I think.

AGS
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
My wife and I checked in to the HWV on 12/7. As a Diamond member we originally sent a request via email 1 month ago to the generic email address, [email protected] and received no reply.....

Upon checkin, we were assigned a room on the ground floor of the Lagoon tower. We received our continental breakfast coupons....which say for Gold and Diamond members. I called down to find out the difference on how Golds and Diamonds are treated. Apparently, Diamonds receive preference on upgrades as the only difference. With the occupancy level at what it is right now I am disgusted with my lack of upgrade.

Service here is poor and no follow up from anyone on the condition of our room or stay so far. Do I feel like a well treated top tier level Diamond? -- No way at all.

Otherwise, the property and facilities are great.

Our first night was at the ResortQuest Kona by the Sea....hands down a better place IMHO and much better service -
Still no call that an upgrade is available......nor any follow up as to how our stay is.....

Expectations......as a Diamond, don't expect much, that way you will not be disappointed.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:29 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
To clarify, I would have no problem being charged $600 ($100 a night) for a 175,000 award.
This is completely, utterly insane. To suggest that one should be required to spend $600 do redeem an award stay is absolutely insulting. Where do you think these points come from? WE EARN THEM.

You are free to drop a check at the front desk when you check in, but please do not include any other HHonors members in this pathology.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... The hotels are paid a nominal amount of points,The Hampton Inn in Branson gets $14 a night per award stay. That barely pays the maid service. Some chains pay on average roomrate. If these stories are right and the hotel is getting $250 a night and is 40 percent full then the average is $125. ...
Hampton's get a minimum of $15 plus tax according to this post:The HWV would get a minimum of $30.

If in any month the average number of rooms occupied on award stays exceeds 1.8% of the available rooms, the Property receives 90% of their average annual daily rate.

(Interesting part of that thread is that the property pays HHonors 5% of revenue bookings of HHonors members).

Last edited by serfty; Dec 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by serfty

(Interesting part of that thread is that the property pays HHonors 5% of revenue bookings of HHonors members).

Could this be the equivalent of the commission paid to travel agents and third party booking services such as Expedia?

I guess that someone has to pay for the awards, Diamond Desk, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Hampton's get a minimum of $15 plus tax according to this post:The HWV would get a minimum of $30.

If in any month the average number of rooms occupied on award stays exceeds 1.8% of the available rooms, the Property receives 90% of their annualized annual daily rate.

Very interesting from that post:

For months in which the number of reward rooms taken as a percentage of available rooms exceeds 1.8%, you will receive 90% of your [current year] annualized ADR plus tax for all reward nights taken above the 1.8% threshold (with the exception of rewards taken on sellout nights). On nights when your occupied revenue rooms occupancy is at or above 96.0%, you will receive 90% of that day’s gross ADR plus tax for all HHonors rewards taken that night regardless of whether you are above or below the 1.8% threshold. For a new property, your forecasted ADR will be used.

What is the minimum reimbursement (base rate) for each brand?
$15 for Hampton, Scandic and Hilton Garden Inn
$20 for Doubletree, Embassy and Homewood
$30 for Hilton (worldwide) and Conrad

So my read is that for any month where award rooms exceed 1.8% of available rooms the HWV recieves 90% of their average room rate for every award room above the 1.8% threshold. So once that threshold is crossed, the HWV starts to make decent money on award rooms.

It seems to me a reasonable assumption that the HWV will exceed 1.8% award occupancy pretty regularly (maybe all the time). In that light, having an "excess" of award customers can be a good thing. Given the tough times in the hotel biz and in Hawaii in particular this means that HWV should be actively encouraging award stays and boosting award benefits to try to bring in more award customers.

Ed, if you're willing to go to this level of detail (and if the Hotel is willing to go there with you) perhaps you can discuss award occupancy levels with them?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: ICH plat RA,HH Dia
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
This is completely, utterly insane. To suggest that one should be required to spend $600 do redeem an award stay is absolutely insulting. Where do you think these points come from? WE EARN THEM.

You are free to drop a check at the front desk when you check in, but please do not include any other HHonors members in this pathology.
agreed.anybody earning multiple six figure points is entitled to any opportunity to get some payback without guilt or obligation.They are not "free" as seasoned travellers spending this much time away know all too well
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:02 am

[QUOTE=JonathanIT;10900909]This is completely, utterly insane. To suggest that one should be required to spend $600 do redeem an award stay is absolutely insulting.

After three pages of this topic, It appears you aren't seeing the hints! I didn't say pay an additional $600. I suggested it would be a credit against your charges. You can spend that however you like, golf, Dolphin Quest, Restaurant whatever. It appears 90% of you disagree. So I come to the conclusion that 90% of you posters don't spend any money there. And others say the hotel gets $30 a night for these awards. It also appears that if your not willing to give them any money that you also demand breakfast. So luckly for the thousands of other people who do go there, and are spending money they would easily use up their credit. You wonder why the hotel is cutting back on the freebies? It appears most of these posters treat the hotel as some homeless shelter or some foodline.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...After three pages of this topic, It appears you aren't seeing the hints! I didn't say pay an additional $600. I suggested it would be a credit against your charges. You can spend that however you like, golf, Dolphin Quest, Restaurant whatever. It appears 90% of you disagree. So I come to the conclusion that 90% of you posters don't spend any money there. And others say the hotel gets $30 a night for these awards. It also appears that if your not willing to give them any money that you also demand breakfast. So luckly for the thousands of other people who do go there, and are spending money they would easily use up their credit. You wonder why the hotel is cutting back on the freebies? It appears most of these posters treat the hotel as some homeless shelter or some foodline.
Why this property? What about other Hiltons? How about Hampton Inns - they only get $15, but still offer everyone a free breakfast. I don't think HGI gets much more, but I can get a free breakfast there and probably eat my $15 worth.

You can't say HWV is a special class and deserves some sort of user fee for award stays and then tell every other hotel in the Hhonors system "sorry, not for you".

Last edited by bocastephen; Dec 13, 2008 at 12:05 pm
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
And others say the hotel gets $30 a night for these awards. It also appears that if your not willing to give them any money that you also demand breakfast. So luckly for the thousands of other people who do go there, and are spending money they would easily use up their credit. You wonder why the hotel is cutting back on the freebies? It appears most of these posters treat the hotel as some homeless shelter or some foodline.
Except that once the hotel reaches a 1.8% reward occupancy level they get much more than $30 per night per room. In the case of HWV its probably closer to $250 per night based on the typical room rates available on line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.