Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL,US
Review 9-5 to 9-11

I'll do two versions of this, one "HHonors" capsule and then one much more stream-of-thought for those who are interested.

This was an ALON2 stay, first time on the Big Island. Let me first say that I overall did not like the concept of the resort, with the trains, boats, etc- I think it suffers under its own weight, and the only time you'll see me spending my day on the hotel grounds is if I am in some all-inclusive in the DR or something like that. I do like to get out and see things, and this hotel makes that quite difficult. So this does color my TR to some extent. Also we followed this up with 3 days at Turtle Bay in Oahu, which makes the HWV look pretty pale in comparison.

HHonors Diamond Key Points:
1. Prior to arrival I emailed the general info address, with Attn: GM in the subject line, mentioned Ms. Bishop by name, and requested an ocean-view room overlooking Budda Point. I have no idea if this went through, as I got no response, and the desk didn't mention my request, but I did get the exact room I wanted on the 5th floor- nice to wake up to that view every morning.

2. Front Desk staff was cordial, but definitely not Aloha. I did not inquire about a further upgrade as I had a not-so-delightful IRROPS mechanical situation on the way there which meant 4 planes to get there from NYC, so I didn't feel like a struggle.

3. Received two $10 coupons per day. We mostly drank these on very overpriced Lava Flows. I will say they work nicely for the pizza special at the Orchid Marketplace, which we did on the two days when we happened to be around at lunch. If you're there, that's what I would use them for, and pick up your own cereal supplies or whatever at the market.

4. Dining was pretty bad. We had dinner one night at KPC. Setting was lovely, service was fine, food was weak concepts executed badly, and the prices were a bit silly. I had a vastly better meal at Roy's and also at Merriman's down at the King's shops for much less money. And being from NYC, high dining prices don't bother me if the value is there. In this case, value was not there. I did find the Orchid place to be the best casual place there- Sushi was good, and Kirin Chinese was ok, just overpriced. I did not eat any hotel breakfasts, and heard several guests complaining about the quality of the Water's Edge breakfast. Based on that, the $10 coupons are probably a better deal than the dinky breakfast.

5. Room was recently renovated, I think, good Hilton bed, clean, good housekeeping, etc.

6. I used the valet- I can't think of a situation when it's NOT worth the extra $5 per day over the extortionate self-parking fees. Valet was always great. Of course, coming from Ocean Tower, they have plenty of warning!

7. Donatoni's and Palm Terrace are closed.

8. Occupancy was quite busy with a lot of locals there over the Labor Day holiday, and quite dead once they left. I would say less than 50% judging by the pools and such.

9. Shiny new trams were clean, air conditioned and horribly slow. Boats were frequent and actually a little faster. Both ran a good schedule.

10. Concierge was helpful with a short-notice reservation at Roy's.

11. Booked the cabana prior to arrival for $50- it was a good way to deal with the jet lag. Cabana staff didn't give us any trouble with the rate, got a nice snack basket (no fresh fruit) and ice water about every 90 minutes or so.

Extended Random Details:
1. If I were to guess, I would say that this is a declining business and that Hilton and Ms. Bishop are managing it as such. I really cannot see how the average family can afford anything like normal rates and stay in this place. It's just too expensive. I would never do revenue stays here. It's not that much extra money for a much nicer place...and for a typical family the expense there is just too much.

2. Midweek a lot of the guests were clearly package business.

3. I think the combo of the above is leading to a lot of the give-a-crap attitude about HHonors stays at the resort, the quality of the food, etc. Hilton is squeezing the place for all it's worth- not that I blame them. Some of the silliness like the trains and boats has to run up crazy overhead charges, and I can't see it yielding additional guest dollars. Resort is too big to be a real luxe place, so you gotta deep discount to cover fixed costs and then hope to get margin on the nickel and dime nonsense.

4. Overall, I think retaining the former Diamond Lounge would have been great, but in its absence, these $10 coupons are the right answer.

5. Note to those driving to see the lava flows in Kalpana- coming back at night, it is MUCH better to go through Waimea than back through Volcano/Kailua or over Saddle Road at night. The Kona side of saddle road is quite sketchy still in the dark. The first time, I didn't quite understand this, and not thinking of how far Kalpana is from the National Park, it was a long night. Coming back through Hilo/Waimea is the best way.

6. Did a snorkel trip on the Hula Kai- can't recommend highly enough if you don't have kids- a FANTASTIC experience.

7. Best dining on our trip for the dollar was probably Merriman's Market Cafe, Kona Brewing Company and the place called something like K,,,, Kitchen in Volcano.

8. Hawaiian Airlines was NOT cool with our massively late arrival due to Delta's mechanical situation. It's not their fault, and it wasn't on the same PNR or ticket so I would not expect it, but keep this in mind....I was doing some strange award combinations so I couldn't easily put it all on one ticket.

9. If you stay in Oahu, I can't recommend Turtle Bay highly enough. I have been to Oahu several times, and have never liked it at all until I stayed there. These guys know how to run an isolated resort. No nickel and dime garbage, reasonably priced food and drink, fantastic service and a beautifully renovated room made the 40 year old hotel seem more modern than HWV. A sad, sad day when it left HHonors. Of course, I don't know if it was as nice then- but those folks have true Aloha spirit, a great location and I would have no problem paying the $250 a night for revenue stays there again.

Last edited by PupManS; Sep 15, 2009 at 4:59 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:19 am
gmc

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond
Considering NWV for 4-6 nights - advice with kids?

I am a Diamond considering using points to stay at HWV at end of October. Can the experts here answer a couple questions for me? Couldn't find answers easily but I tried! Too much (great) information in the forum.

Trip is coming together; we're looking for a second island to explore (family's first trip, but not mine). We're flying on AA miles to/from HNL but might conceivably change to fly back from KOA...depending in part on answers here. Luckily on Oahu we are staying with friends who live on base in Pearl Harbor. So costs are low.

1. 40K points/night for stays, or 175K for ALON2: for four nights, I'd do 40K x 4, but we don't really have 6 nights. I presume no one is bothered by using an ALON2 for 6 nights, and checking out after 5?

2. Trip is me, my wife plus 2 kids, 6 & 9. An ALON2 is "double occupancy", but I won't get a room for a 7 and 10 year old. Any reason to imagine hassle for 4 in a room? Any recommendations for specific rooms/room locations with two beds?

2a. Or, since it's end of October, is anyone willing to give odds of a suite upgrade? Reading through the forums I'm not sure how likely that is. Suggestions for best odds?

3. Very willing to entertain other island options, and am researching like mad now, but want to burn HH points. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gmc
I am a Diamond considering using points to stay at HWV at end of October. Can the experts here answer a couple questions for me? Couldn't find answers easily but I tried! Too much (great) information in the forum.

Trip is coming together; we're looking for a second island to explore (family's first trip, but not mine). We're flying on AA miles to/from HNL but might conceivably change to fly back from KOA...depending in part on answers here. Luckily on Oahu we are staying with friends who live on base in Pearl Harbor. So costs are low.

1. 40K points/night for stays, or 175K for ALON2: for four nights, I'd do 40K x 4, but we don't really have 6 nights. I presume no one is bothered by using an ALON2 for 6 nights, and checking out after 5?

2. Trip is me, my wife plus 2 kids, 6 & 9. An ALON2 is "double occupancy", but I won't get a room for a 7 and 10 year old. Any reason to imagine hassle for 4 in a room? Any recommendations for specific rooms/room locations with two beds?

2a. Or, since it's end of October, is anyone willing to give odds of a suite upgrade? Reading through the forums I'm not sure how likely that is. Suggestions for best odds?

3. Very willing to entertain other island options, and am researching like mad now, but want to burn HH points. Any suggestions appreciated.
If I was willing to spend 160k for 4 nights I'd definitely try to set up 6 nights for 175k - it's well worth the extra 15k.

For inter island flights you may be able to find paid flights on the HI based airlines that might give you better value than AA points. It's worth checking them out.

I've done HWV with 2 adults and 2 kids in one room. It was tight but workable. When the kids are with us we usually travel with an air mattress or two and they work very well for these situations.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:16 am
gmc

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
If I was willing to spend 160k for 4 nights I'd definitely try to set up 6 nights for 175k - it's well worth the extra 15k.
I know, I know...it's just that it's a time constraint, not points. Easily worth the points, not sure we want to spend 6 days on Big Island when our friends are on Oahu, and we're only gone for 10 nights.

For inter island flights you may be able to find paid flights on the HI based airlines that might give you better value than AA points. It's worth checking them out.
We would just switch our award to fly home from KOA versus home from HNL. Wouldn't use points inter-island.

I've done HWV with 2 adults and 2 kids in one room. It was tight but workable. When the kids are with us we usually travel with an air mattress or two and they work very well for these situations.
Great idea, thanks.

Appreciate the response!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We are doing a similiar trip at Christmas, I booked into HNL and home from KOA, then paid $49/PP to fly between islands. Sounds like you are travelling on an award ticket, be aware it may not be that simple to change your departure city from HNL to KOA, probably be penalities involved. Also HA told me their luggage fees will not be wavied for AA Platinums, I think it is first bag free, second $17, for inter island travel. There are good late evening flights out of KOA, we leave around 10:30.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kmandrew
...Also HA told me their luggage fees will not be wavied for AA Platinums, I think it is first bag free, second $17, for inter island travel.
No more free first-bag: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...d-flights.html
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:01 pm
Mul

Originally Posted by gmc
I know, I know...it's just that it's a time constraint, not points. Easily worth the points, not sure we want to spend 6 days on Big Island when our friends are on Oahu, and we're only gone for 10 nights.
Maybe you can use AXON award instead, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...thread-15.html
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:39 pm
Original Member

I think you maybe able to use your points at the nearby HGVC. You get full use of the HWV facilities, but get a apartment rather than a room, which may be better for the family. If I remember, it was about 40k a night or something.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:41 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by gmc
2. Trip is me, my wife plus 2 kids, 6 & 9. An ALON2 is "double occupancy", but I won't get a room for a 7 and 10 year old. Any reason to imagine hassle for 4 in a room?
I'm not sure you've gotten an answer to this question, which I'm inferring is whether the hotel cares whether there are four in the room (their hassle, rather than yours). I don't think the hotel minds at all. We've stayed three times at the HWV on an ALON2 (and are returning for a fourth this December) and I've always indicated on the reservation that there were two adults and two kids in the room. There was never an issue.

Hope this helps.

AGS
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AGS
I'm not sure you've gotten an answer to this question, which I'm inferring is whether the hotel cares whether there are four in the room (their hassle, rather than yours). I don't think the hotel minds at all. We've stayed three times at the HWV on an ALON2 (and are returning for a fourth this December) and I've always indicated on the reservation that there were two adults and two kids in the room. There was never an issue.
2 adults + 2 kids is the max allowed, in theory. I have had 3 adults + 2 kids for part of a stay with no repercussions. But that was many years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by gmc

Maybe you already know this but suite upgrade is also available using miles. 20k extra per night and it is available in November when I called last week. I'm not sure whether it is good value or not.

WJ
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
I didn't know that. How do you go about that? I'm going October 12th and would be interested in doing this. Appreciate your input.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For a one night stay this week, for the first time we were upgraded to a "Bay Suite" in the Lagoon Tower.

Stunning. And the suite is huge. If you're traveling with kids and have the points, it would be well worth it, imo.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:25 pm
gmc

Questions answered, thanks to all. Very much appreciated.

We ended up booking the full 6 mights and doing the flights to accommodate; it's just one more day pulling the kids from school, what the heck.

One question: we're renting a car. Parking at HWV these days? Everyone pays? What's it cost? I assume at this property it's worth it to valet?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by CARose
I didn't know that. How do you go about that? I'm going October 12th and would be interested in doing this. Appreciate your input.
Copied from Hotel web site; http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...ton_honors.cfm

"Looking for a suite reward!?
SPECIAL LIMITED AVAILABILITY AND LIMITED TIME OFFER ONLY FOR HHONORS MEMBERS!

Confirm a 1 Bedroom Suite for additional 20,000 HHonors points per night. You must call 1-800-HHONORS to book a Suite Reward.

Special limited inventory offer for the first 15 suites daily booked during the following 2009 dates: May 18 through July 1, July 11 through 17, July 25 through August 17, August 27 through September 7, September 20 through October 20, and October 24 through December 17."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.