Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
A coworker just returned from Waikaloa and as Diamond she was given a suite in the Palace tower (she asked the front desk when she arrived) but was charged for parking. The parking charges do seem to be a bit of a roulette spin. She also brought me back shampoo and conditioner from the room and they are no longer putting the Kohala Spa Coconut and Mango products in the room - it was a Hawaiian Spa (I think) Coconut and Lime. I haven't used them yet to know the quality.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I think parking is totally hit or miss. It appears those that get it free get it because the parking gate is broken or the front desk just misses charging it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I think parking is totally hit or miss. It appears those that get it free get it because the parking gate is broken or the front desk just misses charging it.
I've stayed there the last three summers and have been charged every time (diamond all three years); upgraded to suite once.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Just got back from a stay there 7/19-7/23, Family of 4 with 2 young girls. I have no status with Hilton and rooms were free with a gift certificate won at a raffle. We stayed on top floor of Palace Tower and had a nice room with a view of the Ocean off to the left. The room was nice. Big enough with a nice walk in closet and very comfortable beds. Sheets were even of higher quality than at the Fairmont Orchid where we stayed the rest of our trip. Food was OK. We ate dinner each night at Lagoon Grill. Not great, not bad, of course pricey. For breakfast went to Coffee Kiosk in Ocean Tower. There is one in Lagoon and Ocean, but not in Palace. Kids of course very much enjoyed the pools. They are great. I actually preferred the pool at Ocean tower as it was a bit more mellow. The staff was fine, the boat operators were the most gracious and amusing. After 4 days I got very sick of the Tram/Boat to move around. I would NEVER stay in the Ocean tower due to it being so far removed. Its a good 20 minutes to leave your room and exit the parking area. Also finding your rental car in the parking lot is tough. There are about 20 of the same car in the lot with similar colors. Finding my beige Chrysler 300 was not easy some days. There is laundry facilities in Ocean and Lagoon. The artwork at the hotel is impressive. I actually enjoyed the Palace Tower although it is supposed to be the lowest end of the 3. Exiting out of the tower you have a great view of the Ocean right in front of you. I would only recommend this hotel if you have kids.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Just back from HWV. Staying on the Free Night Certs I earned earlier this year. Upgraded to a King Ocean View on the ground floor of Lagoon Tower. Enjoyed the room very much--nicely appointed (if a bit older, good housekeeping, very quiet (which we didn't expect, since we were on the ground floor). Loved the pool in that area. Glad we weren't in Ocean Tower. Way too many kids. Lagoon pool had kids, too, but not quite so many. Quieter, in general. Closer to the main building.

We did not use the tram more than once. Just walked. Not far to anything, really.

Drinks at pool were very good--best mojito I've had! Not too sweet and lots of fresh mint. $11/drink--very steep, but used $10 certs to pay.

Liked the proximity to the Queen's Mall (or whatever it's called). Was charged to parking.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Just back from a three night stay here (30/7 - 2/8). As a diamond VIP I rec'd six $10 certs which we used in the lagoon grill and at the bar. I was charged for parking and got two of these water coupons to which I didnt use. Im surprised a bottle of water cant be left in the room as in most places. I just nabbed a few from the deli supermarket thingy down the road. I had mixed feelings about the property - the room I was in was nice but going to the ocean tower was a bit of a pain!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
In room coffee questions

Do they have the newer one-cup or the traditional four-cup coffee makers in the rooms? Are they charging for in room coffee nowadays?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Hey Loomis, I had a two cup machine pop in the water and sachet and press a button type of machine.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel market on the Big Island must be a bit depressed these days: I'm seeing published room rate at the HWV -- at peak times -- for only about 40 bucks more than I paid on priceline 5 years ago!

In fact, I'm thinking of visiting next winter, and contemplating paying for my room instead of using my HHonors points. At well under $200/night, it's probably not worth using points.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
HWV Trip Report: September '10

I'm currently at the HWV and am enjoying myself as expected

I am a very frequent guest of this resort (1-2x/year every year for 10+ years) and an HHonors Diamond.... so prior to arriving, I reached out to the GM (who in turn connected me to another resort manager) to upgrade my accommodations and to bring two additional reservations I have closer together. (I'm here celebrating my birthday with family/friends.) I got a beautiful, spacious, newly redecorated suite in the Ocean Tower with sweeping views of the ocean and the resort; my guests, in rooms under my name, also got nearby rooms in the Ocean Tower with great views. Huge ^ to the hotel staff for doing a little something extra for my birthday and to acknowledge my frequent stays here and elsewhere in the chain.

As always, the resort is stunning and beautiful with not even a blade of grass out of place anywhere on the grounds. The pools are all clean & clear (most were re-done over the last 2 years) and outdoor eateries have had a nice facelift (i.e.: the place to eat/drink by the pools outside of the Ocean Tower) now have new tables/chairs...similar to the new tables/chairs by the Orchid Marketplace.

Service is warm/friendly throughout the property... and there's lots of familiar old faces, like Gil who continues to cook up a storm in Imari.

The Palm Terrace is still closed (and there's still a billion birds around it) and the Italian restaurant is gone, although Kirin is still open above it.

The resort now sells a "7-Day Savings Card" for $29.95 that I strongly recommend buying. For 7 days, by showing the card, you get 10% off all food/beverage bought at the major eateries: Big Island Breakfast, Kamuela Provision Company, Imari, Kirin, Lagoon Grill, Lagoon Spoon, Boat Landing Pavilion, Tsunami Sushi, Orchid Marketplace, the Luau, Mahalo Lounge, Kona Pool Bar, and Kohala Pool Bar. In addition to getting 10% off at those locations, they also give you 2 $10-off vouchers that you can use too. So as long as you spend more than $100 in food/drink over 7 days here, the discount card pays for itself.

Speaking of $10-off vouchers, I also got a pile of them when I checked in as the Diamond perk in place of breakfast. Last night I had a $110 dinner at Imari... so I redeemed 2 of my $10 off vouchers, redeemed both of the Savings Card coupons, and with my 10% discount got the meal for about $60. They're allowing all $10 vouchers to be combined.

The Diamond vouchers are also good at the Kimobean shops around the resort while the Savings Card ones (or discount) aren't.

They've tweaked when the restaurants are open/closed...
Big Island Breakfast (still at Water's Edge): 6:30a-11a everyday
Lagoon Spoon: 7a-11a everyday
Orchid Marketplace: 10:30a-5p everyday
Kimo Bean: Every day 6a-9p
Lagoon Grill: 11a-7p everyday
Boat Landing Pavillion: 12noon-9p everyday
Kona Pool Bar: 10a-6p everyday
Kohala Pool bar: 11a-5p everyday
Mahalo Lounge: 5p-11p (kitchen closes at 10p); everyday
Kirin: Lunch 11a-5p, Dinner 5:30p-10:45p everyday
Imari: 5:30p-9:30p on Tuesday-Saturday (closed Sunday/Monday)
Kamuela Provision Company: 5:30-9:30p
Luau: Sunday/Tuesday/Friday, 6p (doors open 5:30)

The seaside putting course is still in great shape and for $15/adult/$7.50/child, you can play golf there from 9:30a-6p. At 6pm, for the same price, 'till 8:30p, the game turns to "Glow Golf" where glow-in-the dark play occurs once the sun sets.

Parking is still $21/valet and $15/self per day, and they removed the "guard house" and circle near the entrance to extend the self-parking lot out a bit.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:10 am

Weatherboy,
thanks for the update. I am headed there with my family next week on a rewards stay. I would like to contact the GM as well. Can you share the GM's contact and any advice on requesting an upgrade. Feel free to PM me.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Which tower?

OK, so I have read through about 15 pages of this thread, and about 15 pages of TripAdvisor and am still unsure about which tower to request. I was initially thinking Lagoon due to proximity to Kona pool and the lobby. Then I read on TripAdvisor that the rooms in the other two towers are more recently renovated....and I like a nice room. Also like to sleep in so being away from the noisy birds is must. (And it sounds like Ocean is worst for the birds?) So, my priorities in order are as follows: 1.) Away from noisy birds, 2.) Nice room (renovated and/or with view, that I would hope to get with an upgrade), 3.) proximity to a nice pool. Can someone recommend the tower that would suit my needs?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It will not matter which tower in my experience in re the birds. They will be loud in all of them (based on probably a dozen stays over the last 10 years). Otoh, I found it far less bothersome than people often say.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:16 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I'm currently at the HWV and am enjoying myself as expected

The seaside putting course is still in great shape and for $15/adult/$7.50/child, you can play golf there from 9:30a-6p. At 6pm, for the same price, 'till 8:30p, the game turns to "Glow Golf" where glow-in-the dark play occurs once the sun sets.
OK, since there is a regulation golf course nearby, I'm a bit confused. Is this the so-called "putt-putt" course? If it is, up to a couple years ago (my last stay), Diamonds played for free by showing their Diamond card. And they often allowed a guest free (though I don't think this is normal). Is this still the case??
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Nothing is Free

Originally Posted by Zip
OK, since there is a regulation golf course nearby, I'm a bit confused. Is this the so-called "putt-putt" course? If it is, up to a couple years ago (my last stay), Diamonds played for free by showing their Diamond card. And they often allowed a guest free (though I don't think this is normal). Is this still the case??
There is a seaside "putting course" which is just like your mini-golf standard fare, just without the windmills/water features/plastic figures...it's all grass and much much smaller than a pitch & putt course. It's located between the Ocean Tower and Buddha Point.

I do remember there being some type of promotional offer available in the past to Diamonds (either 1 free round or a buy 1 / get 1 free deal), but there is no longer any such perk. Some room rates may include regular golf and/or access to the seaside putting green, but this isn't a standard offering...and you'd typically need to pay the $15 or $7.50 rates (which are quite astronomical considering minigolf rates back on the mainland.)

In terms of regular golf, there are two courses around Waikoloa beach.... the Kings course and the Beach course... and if you haven't booked a room+golf rate, fees there start at a discounted $135/person for 18 holes + cart for both courses. They offer multi-game packages that can be played over days for a less expensive cost per game rate... and they offer afternoon tee times for a discounted rate too. (And a really affordable 9 hole rate after 3pm.) Whether you're a guest of the Hilton or the Marriott, you'll pay the same "visitor" rate.

One other reasonable value when it comes to golf is the nearby Waikoloa Village golf course.... which is in the Village up the road to Waimea. It's a few degrees cooler there than the Kings/Beach courses...and provides more value. For $70 for 18 holes + cart (+ $40 for nice rental clubs), you can enjoy some good golf for less than 15 minutes from the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.