Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Ocean Tower

Mr Caddieseamus and I stayed in the ocean tower the first week of Dec. The entire resort seemed dead.

The tower is approx a 7 minute walk from the self-parking area. We didn't mind this at all. We used the car a few days out of the 7. We enjoyed having a coffee shop and the adult pool very nearby.

There was bird noise all over the entire resort. In our room we didn't hear it very much. It didn't bother us at all. I never noticed any odors. Housekeeping was very good.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tennisboy
Staying next week in an Ocean View in the Ocean Tower. I know this is farthest from parking, etc., so I am a little torn about it. It's just my wife and me, and I have heard some bad stories about the odors and noise level of rooms in the other tower, but I'm still unsure.

Any advice?

Also I spoke to someone at the hotel and they told me that the week after New Years (when we'll be there) is VERY busy usually. I found this odd because that same week in 2010 we were at the Grand Hyatt Kauai (my favorite hotel in the world) and it was dead.
Odors? That is a new one to me. I have been in the Lagoon Tower for over a week and never noticed any odors.

As far as room location, I think that the Ocean Tower is best for a couple. There are lots of kids in the Lagoon Tower, due to having the biggest slide and pools, as well as the Dolphin Lagoon. You can enjoy an adults only pool down at the Ocean Tower.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:24 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Mrs. dstan and I enjoyed the Ocean Tower just last week. We did the walk to the lobby in 7 min (or 10 min on the train), and it was another couple minutes down to the self-parking lot.

We didn't have any problems with odors, but the birds definitely do come and go, particularly in the early morning and evening. I suppose my best advice is to try to avoid getting a room that's right in front of one of the trees. A high floor may help a bit as well.

Also, we typically ask for a room away from the elevator, but that can make for some long walks as there are only 2 elevators in the entire complex, and since the walkways are outdoors, any noise came from the birds rather than the neighbors. I wouldn't hesitate to take a room close to the elevator next time.

Mrs. dstan also loved the pool area in the morning before the kids arrived. There are also some nice quiet seating areas out around the point that overlooks the water.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by loomis
The check-in time policy strikes me as odd. Kind of sounds like an excuse. I would assume that they preassign rooms and do upgrades first thing in the morning.
+1, very odd indeed. Though explains our bad treatment and being told we were # 60 something on the list as a Diamond. Yeah right.

Originally Posted by AGS
Very interesting, thanks. Actually I was thinking of the case where someone would come to close to either an eel or a stingray without realizing it. The water is fairly cloudy in the lagoon there much of the time and I could see how someone could end up getting a hand or foot too close. And I have watched from the lookout above the waterfalls many times and have seen people swimming very close to turtles and stingrays without even realizing it. It's pretty funny to watch, although I have no doubt I've been in that situation myself at least once.

And thanks for the info on the frogfish, I'll be on the lookout next time I'm down there. Very interesting!

AGS
Snorkeling in the lagoon my sister and I saw something that was a mix of a fish/snake/eel. No idea as neither of us have extensive time in ocean waters, was about 8 inches long, white with black stripes that ran sideways, and you could see scales. Scared the heck out of us and suffice it to say we didn't snorkel there again.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Thanks for the advice. Re: odors, I had heard about dolphin smells, which we're not really into. (frankly, koi ponds stink too and freak out my wife--we both never understood why they're so prized).

Also, for those who have stayed in the Ocean Tower, where is the closest place to use the $10 certs in the AM for a coffee and pastry/protein? Finally, how's the coffee in the room (do the rooms even come with coffee?).

And what happens if you buy something for less than $10? Do you get a credit back for the unused portion?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by tennisboy
Thanks for the advice. Re: odors, I had heard about dolphin smells, which we're not really into. (frankly, koi ponds stink too and freak out my wife--we both never understood why they're so prized).

Also, for those who have stayed in the Ocean Tower, where is the closest place to use the $10 certs in the AM for a coffee and pastry/protein? Finally, how's the coffee in the room (do the rooms even come with coffee?).

And what happens if you buy something for less than $10? Do you get a credit back for the unused portion?

Thanks
The rooms have a two cup pod coffee maker, with regular and decaf pods. I found the coffee to be okay, standard hotel grade coffee. Condiment pack had powdered creamer, so may want to invest in some milk if staying for awhile.

There is a coffee place in the Ocean Tower, Kimo Bean (they have one at the other end of the resort also). They accept the vouchers but don't participate in some of the other deals, like the F&B discount card.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Snorkeling in the lagoon my sister and I saw something that was a mix of a fish/snake/eel. No idea as neither of us have extensive time in ocean waters, was about 8 inches long, white with black stripes that ran sideways, and you could see scales. Scared the heck out of us and suffice it to say we didn't snorkel there again.
Hmmm, that's a Fish ID mystery! Perhaps JDiver will chime in, but do you see it in either the Hawaii or Tropical Pacific sections here: http://reefguide.org/

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe it was a juvenile trumpetfish or coronetfish (see the Odd-Shaped Swimmers subsection), but it depends on how distinct those horizontal stripes were.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Diamond stay over Christmas holidays

I just got back from a weeklong stay over the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Below is my report, written from the perspective of a frugal Diamond member, traveling with elementary school aged children.

As requested, we were given an upgrade to the Lagoon Tower. We had a direct view of Dolphin Quest and the lagoon, with ocean views beyond.

Some previous posters have mentioned renovated rooms in some towers. It does not appear that they have done the Lagoon Tower yet. Our room did have a new flat panel TV (42 inch?) though.

They only have wired, not wireless HSIA, in the rooms. I was given the access code for free HSIA at check-in.

The $29.95 F&B card that you can purchase to get 10% off all F&B can be used in combination with the two-$10 per day Gold/Diamond food vouchers. That is a nice little double-discount.

We enjoyed the various pools and whirlpools near the Lagoon Tower. It would be nice if they heated the pools and turned up the heat on the whirlpools though. The Kona Pool slide was alot of fun. You must be 42".

Even though we were there during what I presume is one of their busiest weeks it never felt crowded. The place is so big that they can probably adequately spread out the crowds. There were always pool chairs available and little to no wait for service at the Orchid Market Cafe and Lagoon Spoon counters.

Their four-acre lagoon is a great option for kids. They can enjoy the ocean water without the risk of waves and undertow. We snorkeled in the lagoon almost every day, seeing sea turtles, eels, and various interesting fish (humu, puffer fish, tangs, trumpetfish, etc).

Ocean Sports, HWV's on-site water sports vendor, was offering a two-for-one whale watching tour if you went before Christmas Day. They pick you up right at the lower level lobby at the HWV, then bus you to the harbor. There was no charge for children five and under. What a deal.

Between the room upgrade, free HSIA, and daily $20 food voucher I felt like I got a great value for my Diamond status at the HWV!!

Last edited by loomis; Jan 4, 2011 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
NOR1?

To those who have recently stayed - were you offered a NOR1 (paid) upgrade by email before you checked in? If so, were suites available? What was the price?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tvelinsk
To those who have recently stayed - were you offered a NOR1 (paid) upgrade by email before you checked in? If so, were suites available? What was the price?

Thanks so much!
Yes, I received the NOR1 offer. Yes, it included suites. $249 for an upgrade to a suite, I believe.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: Platinum
Just finishing a stay at the Waikoloa, Lagoon Tower. Currently watching the dolphins play. Just wanted to add a few points to the excellent advice above. When we got here (on the first flight from HNL), the FD got us upgraded to Lagoon/ocean view and told us the room was ready. They didn't tell the people in the room however. Fortunately, the inner wall hid any compromising positions. Ended up with the room next door. Wasted an hour though.

Wired Internet access, but I have my iPad with unlimited 3G, which was surprisingly fast here. The pools are not heated, so you just need to jump in and get use to it. Thanks to one of the posts above for the walking to the Fishponds/Marriott recommendation. My oldest and I did it on the way back from viewing the petroglyphs, and saw some sea turtles, and a local casting a net fishing.

My wife wanted the king/pullout sofa combo room, but the sofa pullout is only twin sized. We ended up asking for a rollaway bed for one of our kids (two of them, 11 & 7).

Oh, we saw an eel when walking over one of the bridges. The kids thought it was cool!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by tvelinsk

Thanks so much!
I am looking at my current reservation and the option for a suite is for $149 per night.

King 1 Bedroom Suite, 1,060 sq. ft.

* 1 King Bed Room; Complimentary roll-away available upon request Renovated in 2008, these suites feature a separate living and bedroom spaces
* Spacious living room offers includes a queen size sofa sleeper, hardwood flooring,DVD/CD player, and 42 inch plasma TV
* Plush Cotton Robes for Added Coziness
* Master Bedroom with Sitting Area and a private lanai
* Master Bathroom with soaking tub and seperate standing shower.
* Multiple Lanais on which to Enjoy the Splendors of Waikoloa Village
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I got some interesting information regarding suite upgrades last time I stayed at the HWV (in November). According to the FD, any Diamond/Gold who has their on My Way on-property benefit set to upgrade will get a free suite upgrade based on availability (but it seems you have to know this and ask).

In my case, I have stayed at the property 5 times over the last few years. 2009 was my first year as a gold and when I stayed in April Mrs. BBFD and I were offered a suite (palace) upon check in. Who were we to say no and were very surprised and pleased with what we got. I attributed it to luck and made it a point to memorize the room number so I could drop the hint next time we would be there. I should add the FD clerk made it a point to ask first if we had stayed there before so I thought maybe a returning guest got some consideration too.

Upon check in this past November we were told our ocean view 'upgrade' room (booked garden view with points both times) was not ready so I asked if I could have the same room as last time as the suite was readily not offered up. Lady looked it up and found it was occupied but offered the same type of suite on a different floor. As the stay went on it really made me wonder why I could be 2/2 getting suites when so many others report no success so I asked on check out. It should be noted that both of my stays were only two nights and midweek. So the morale of the story is just ask - you might get something good. They do not seem to openly offer the suites but seem to accomodate if you ask. As always - YMMV!!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dstan
Hmmm, that's a Fish ID mystery! Perhaps JDiver will chime in, but do you see it in either the Hawaii or Tropical Pacific sections here: http://reefguide.org/

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe it was a juvenile trumpetfish or coronetfish (see the Odd-Shaped Swimmers subsection), but it depends on how distinct those horizontal stripes were.
http://reefguide.org/micrognathuscrinitus.html

Looked like that sort of, didn't look like a fish. No idea, this fish isn't in Hawaii apparently...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
http://reefguide.org/micrognathuscrinitus.html

Looked like that sort of, didn't look like a fish. No idea, this fish isn't in Hawaii apparently...
If that's what you saw, you should consider yourself lucky (not scared )! Pipefishes are fairly rare - I've never seen one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.