Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:11 am

Thanks, yes AXON...looks like HWV is cat 7 now, so I think I'm short on points, how do you get an AXON reward and how many points is 4 nights at a 7? Only offer I recieved was going global, is this GLON at 170k for 4 nights cat 7? Thanks for the help, very confused by the program changes/codes
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It's 145K I believe. I am holding a 4 night award stay reservation at HWV myself via AXON.

See here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15755310-post488.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum; AS MVP; Delta Silver
Originally Posted by hook13
Thanks, yes AXON...looks like HWV is cat 7 now, so I think I'm short on points, how do you get an AXON reward and how many points is 4 nights at a 7? Only offer I recieved was going global, is this GLON at 170k for 4 nights cat 7? Thanks for the help, very confused by the program changes/codes
4 nights is 145k points usin axon7 . If you need 2 rooms it sounds like you are only 30k away from having enough for next room. The Hilton surpass Amex usually has a signup bonus that will get you way past finish line and gold statu (eg free brekkie & Internet) if you aren't already gold or diamond

Aloha have a great trip
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:00 pm

Thanks so much for the link and info, really appreciate it as I couldn't find this info-
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I will be staying here for six nights on an award stay in 2 weeks. yesterday when we got home from happy hour there was a message from the resort identifying with the person identifing themselves as the hotel concierge and offering their services and phone number. not sure if this is just the activities desk or what and was currious if anyone else has recieved these calls. even if it was a sales call at least it was a real person and not a recording.
thanks in advance
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by particlemn
I will be staying here for six nights on an award stay in 2 weeks. yesterday when we got home from happy hour there was a message from the resort identifying with the person identifing themselves as the hotel concierge and offering their services and phone number. not sure if this is just the activities desk or what and was currious if anyone else has recieved these calls. even if it was a sales call at least it was a real person and not a recording.
thanks in advance
I think they called and told us to pick up our welcome gift - which was a Hilton beach/shopping bag.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yes, I got a concierge call too. Nice touch, though unfortunately the good service we had ended there (until we escalated to the GM).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Everyone gets the concierge call. It is mainly to get you to buy a day trip or activity somewhere.

We really appreciated the two $10 coupons per day and found if you go over to the coffee shop that is out by the lagoon / dolphin area, they have a decent breakfast sandwich for about 4 bucks. The grocery store in Waikoloa has a great selection of low priced deli items, liquor, or anything else that we stocked up on and brought back to our room. Or it's a short walk down to the King's shops where there are plenty of cheap eats.

I don't typically go on a vacation to scrimp and save, but when you see a full breakfast a the motel go for 25 bucks, I feel ripped off and will go elsewhere.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I stayed there a few weeks ago and was disappointed with the $10 coupons when the only breakfast you can get for $10 is a bowl of cereal or breakfast sandwich at the cereal shop in the morning. Even the "continental plate" in the restaurant was over $10. It also was very difficult to get substiutions on the continental plate. e.g. it only includes PLAIN yogurt and we had to practically BEG to get the waiter/waitress to pull a micro yogurt cup from the buffet a few steps away.

I really wish they would do it like the O'Hare hilton does where the coupon is good enough to cover the continental section of the buffet and you can upgrade to full buffet for a little more. At this place it was full buffet or off the menu.

I complained at the end and got them to cover the differences in cost of the continental breakfast from the $10 coupon over the days I was there.

Why can you get free full breakfasts at Homewood Suites and Hampton Inns with no status but a DIAMOND can't get it from full service Hiltons? What a rip.

Last edited by dmodemd; Apr 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by tennisboy
We just returned from the Hilton WV which was very nice, but our primary gripe was that even in the 80 degree weather, the pools were virtually unswimmable because they were too cold. It was pretty insane, and enough to have us not return.
Exactly my feeling after an award stay around five years ago or so. The swimming pools are nicely landscaped and with the "cave" look like a lot of fun. But I just couldn't enjoy myself in the water as it was way too cold. La Cochinita wouldn't even consider it after sticking her toe in the water. Our son and his best friend went swimming but they were 10 years old and have built-in kids' tolerance for frigid water.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I really wish they would do it like the O'Hare hilton does where the coupon is good enough to cover the continental section of the buffet and you can upgrade to full buffet for a little more.
Heck, the free continental breakfast buffet for Diamond/Gold at The Beverly Hilton includes smoked salmon and enough variety that it's more than the usual carb overload, so no need to upgrade to full buffet.

I have to lower my expectations for a 4 night stay in June so I won't be too disappointed.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
From this thread, we found out that 2 $10 cpns per day to get pizza in the PM was a good redemption. Breakfast was ok, but yes you need to go to the breakfast shop. The breakfast buffet in the main restaurant is a rip.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: CO Plat MM, HH Diamond, PC Plat
HWV for family of 5

My wife and I spent a week at the HWV in the Lagoon tower in 2007 and loved it. Now we are wanting to return with the whole family, which includes 3 daughters age 9, 11, 13. Any recommendations on how best to accomodate. Of course, the computer states a max occupancy of 4 per room. Any acceptable workarounds to this? Does diamond level help?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors
We were there just a few months ago for 10 days. I paid for the lagoon tower room using their hawaii 50th celebration 5th nite for 50 dollars plus get $50 resort credit (so it's really like 5th nite free). (Since it was 10 days the wanted to only give me the resort credit once, so I made them split it into two reservations and the front desk person had to do that to give it to me twice).

Anyway, I am a single parent with 4 kids and the reservation desk gave the runaround at first then said ok per a supervisor. With two adults they might have had more issue. I think I'd just fly under the radar screen and not mention reserving for the 4th kid. The catch is that the rooms are not queen but full size beds so 3 to a bed is very tight. They make sure the couch is too small to sleep on.....
Old May 7, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdculp
My wife and I spent a week at the HWV in the Lagoon tower in 2007 and loved it. Now we are wanting to return with the whole family, which includes 3 daughters age 9, 11, 13. Any recommendations on how best to accomodate. Of course, the computer states a max occupancy of 4 per room. Any acceptable workarounds to this? Does diamond level help?

Thanks
Originally Posted by alfredtraveler
We were there just a few months ago for 10 days. I paid for the lagoon tower room using their hawaii 50th celebration 5th nite for 50 dollars plus get $50 resort credit (so it's really like 5th nite free). (Since it was 10 days the wanted to only give me the resort credit once, so I made them split it into two reservations and the front desk person had to do that to give it to me twice).

Anyway, I am a single parent with 4 kids and the reservation desk gave the runaround at first then said ok per a supervisor. With two adults they might have had more issue. I think I'd just fly under the radar screen and not mention reserving for the 4th kid. The catch is that the rooms are not queen but full size beds so 3 to a bed is very tight. They make sure the couch is too small to sleep on.....
With a family of 5, I share your pain.

There isn't really a good solution -- other than renting a condo or villa instead of a hotel room. It rarely makes economic sense to buy 2 hotel rooms in a Hawaiian resort -- the price is just too high.

Since your kids are relatively young, and since you want to stay the Waikoloa (the hotel IS good for kids), just bring an inexpensive blow-up mattress and put one kid on the floor (you'll be able to round up the necessary pillow and blanket at the hotel). It won't be super comfortable, but it works. I'd adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the hotel (don't bring all 5 to the front desk to check-in).

What I've typically done in Hawaii is stayed a couple nights at a kid-friendly resort and then rented a house elsewhere for the rest of my stay. A good combo of "tourist Hawaii" and "less touristy Hawaii." And you really don't want to live with 5 people in a hotel room for very long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.