Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I always assumed it would be segment-by-segment, but in the past, one could always see the (current so very incomplete) upgrade list for all flights on the same fare component at least (if not all flights in that "direction" if there's a broken fare) as soon as OLCI opened for the first segment and one checked in (for at least all segments on the same fare component. [I tend to avoid broken fares if I'm aware of them so I'm not sure how they were treated.] To me, this *suggests* that DL's IT might treat connecting segments as having the same upgrade window as the first segment. Upgrade clearance times might well work this way due to the legacy system.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
thanks guys! Flight was great. Seats (row 1) were great. It was definitely a neat experience with 0 people in front of you and all that legroom. You really don’t think of the other passengers.
This is FT. We never think of the other passengers.
diniasi likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, MM
Simple(?) upgrade question

My wife has a lot of SkyMiles but no Medallion status. If she uses some of her SkyMiles to purchase Delta tix for both of us (on the same Confirmation Code), can I subsequently sign in to Delta.com and use my Platinum status to upgrade our seats? thnx
Old May 28, 2022, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MisterFungi
My wife has a lot of SkyMiles but no Medallion status. If she uses some of her SkyMiles to purchase Delta tix for both of us (on the same Confirmation Code), can I subsequently sign in to Delta.com and use my Platinum status to upgrade our seats? thnx
Yes -- you will be eligible for upgrades together at your Platinum Medallion priority level, as long as both your SkyMiles numbers are on the reservation.
bloc0102 and MisterFungi like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
I'll never understand how sometimes you can poke around when you're within the window and "self-upgrade". If I didn't do that, would I have lost it if someone else purchased or did the same thing?
I have had this happen to me more times than I can count! Always pays to check the app often to see what shows up. Have also apparently been "cleared for an upgrade" but nothing showed up in the app to indicate as such and watched the seats be given away one by one until I called Delta and they said, "oh you were cleared, let me just fix this on our end". Whatever that means!
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
I'll never understand how sometimes you can poke around when you're within the window and "self-upgrade". If I didn't do that, would I have lost it if someone else purchased or did the same thing?
I agree. At minimum, even if you would clear the upgrade anyway, at least you get first pick on seats!

Originally Posted by findark
Is the clearance window for a connecting itinerary supposed to be T-120 for your first segment, or T-120 on a segment-by-segment basis? I would assume the latter, but I was able to manually clear downline segments into open OU (using change seats) after the first segment cleared automatically at the window.
I understand it’s supposed to be T-120 on a segment by segment basis, but most of the time for me, it’s T-120 from the first segment (though not always). This is why I always check both seat maps at T-120.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:18 am

flying DCA-MSP today, earned DM plus reserve on an H fare. 15 of 58 for 0 FC seats. Haven’t flown this route but used to regularly and was often upgraded as a PM (and would frequently see Sens. Norm Coleman and Amy Klobuchar in FC for those who remember the should she or shouldn’t she debate about Stacey Abrams taking a comp upgrade to FC). Surprising to see so many elites and FCM on this leg.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by coast_2_coast
flying DCA-MSP today, earned DM plus reserve on an H fare. 15 of 58 for 0 FC seats. Haven’t flown this route but used to regularly and was often upgraded as a PM (and would frequently see Sens. Norm Coleman and Amy Klobuchar in FC for those who remember the should she or shouldn’t she debate about Stacey Abrams taking a comp upgrade to FC). Surprising to see so many elites and FCM on this leg.
thats hard to believe! Kinda sucks.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Asking for a friend here. Is there a way for someone booked on award traveling using miles in coach to upgrade(either complimentary or other ways) to business? Do they get complimetary upgrades when booked on award travel? The person is diamond.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by njxbean
Asking for a friend here. Is there a way for someone booked on award traveling using miles in coach to upgrade(either complimentary or other ways) to business? Do they get complimetary upgrades when booked on award travel? The person is diamond.
Yes, SkyMiles award tickets are eligible for comp upgrades the same as cash tickets. Less sure about awards booked on DL-operated flights using partner points currency (but partner-marketed DL-operated cash tickets are not eligible for upgrades until day of travel)
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
If it is an international D1 route, Medallions (including Diamonds) are not eligible for comp upgrades on either revenue or award flights. Only First Class and domestic D1 routes are eligible for comp Medallion upgrades. DL may offer online paid/mileage upgrades, but these are unpredictable.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks.
You can use GUCs and RUCs on award tickets, under the same rules as for tickets paid with money. A GUC upgrades an international coach ticket to PS with a waitlist for D1 on the day of departure.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Hi everyone,

This might've been asked elsewhere, but I was wondering - how does Delta's upgrade system rank you in terms of fare class when you have a (now) schedule-changed or IROPS reissued ticket with a higher fare code than what you initially purchased? I'm a PM and have been wondering how this works out... for example, I purchased "L" from TVC-SAN/San Diego and there was a schedule change. I was able to change (for no difference in fare and no fee) to TVC-SNA/Orange County, but delta.com reissued my ticket in "H." Will my upgrade priority be based on the original "L" or the reissued "H?"

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I suspect H (I have earned MQMs based on the reissued code), but it's difficult to know for sure.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta Medallion
Flying tomorrow internationally from JFK to Europe. As per my understanding, there are no complimentary upgrade for D1 on international flight - how is possible that i people on the app in the upgrade list for D1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.