Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC now able to be used on Virgin Atlantic (VS)???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I'm seeing on a couple different points websites that we can now use DL GUC's on VS flights and it appears it will even let you go from Y directly to J.

Is this correct?

I know with AF it would only let you get into PE on a Y ticket.

Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.

Global Upgrades on Virgin Atlantic flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.

Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/07/use-...rgin-atlantic/
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The blog entry on The Points Guy has a link to Delta's GUC T&Cs.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Already being discussed in the Delta and Virgin Atlantic partnership thread.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Already being discussed in the Delta and Virgin Atlantic partnership thread.
Yep. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ership-34.html

Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Now if only VA would join the party...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
In spite of all the devaluations it's nice to see that they're at least increasing the ability to use GUC's on partners. With KLM and VS now both options from most coach classes it really opens a lot of possibilities. Definitely would be great to see VA added. Well done DL!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:04 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Any idea of when VS releases G classes? I've had an expert flyer alert for some time, but no hits. I just want a LHR-LAX flight in April....is that too much to ask?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Any idea of when VS releases G classes? I've had an expert flyer alert for some time, but no hits. I just want a LHR-LAX flight in April....is that too much to ask?
Have you called? I might go fishing on the phone and ask the agent to look at a few dates and see if they can see any inventory ever. At least if the agent sees something which EF doesn't, you know the EF data isn't reliable.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Have you called? I might go fishing on the phone and ask the agent to look at a few dates and see if they can see any inventory ever. At least if the agent sees something which EF doesn't, you know the EF data isn't reliable.
Use the VS website. Quick easy and painless.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
For VS upgrade and award space are the same, so you can also do an award search on VS's site (or DL's site, though VS's probably easier).

LHR-LAX is a hard route for awards, so hence also a hard route for upgrades.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Has anyone had any luck getting VS GUCs to clear?

I checked G availability on ExpertFlyer for the dates, I wanted a JFK-LHR upgrade on. All four flights show availability.

I check with Delta Twitter team... they say only one DL4373 has availability.

So I book DL4373.

Go back to Delta Twitter to get the upgrade posted. They try for about an hour, but can't get it done.

The explanation given is that they have to change it from DL4373 to VS4, and the "upgrade classification that we have to use for rebooking to Business Class is not showing available."

So no go on the upgrade, despite VS4 showing G space on the date in question.

Unsure whether I should push on with this fight, or cut bait and take the 24-hour cancellation and look for other upgradable flights. (There are some available on DL, but the fare is a fair bit more.)

Any advice on steps to try to get this upgraded?

And why would Twitter say it's upgradable, and then not be able to upgrade it when I book it, immediately after being told there's availability?
Old May 8, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've had DM agents (multiple) tell me that they've never been able to actually book a GUC onto a VS flight.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sounds like the same cluster that is trying to get a GUC to clear on KLM...
Old May 8, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Yeah, it looks like your reservation needs to be rebooked with a VS flight number, just like KL.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Has anyone had any luck getting VS GUCs to clear?

I checked G availability on ExpertFlyer for the dates, I wanted a JFK-LHR upgrade on. All four flights show availability.

I check with Delta Twitter team... they say only one DL4373 has availability.

So I book DL4373.

Go back to Delta Twitter to get the upgrade posted. They try for about an hour, but can't get it done.

The explanation given is that they have to change it from DL4373 to VS4, and the "upgrade classification that we have to use for rebooking to Business Class is not showing available."

So no go on the upgrade, despite VS4 showing G space on the date in question.

Unsure whether I should push on with this fight, or cut bait and take the 24-hour cancellation and look for other upgradable flights. (There are some available on DL, but the fare is a fair bit more.)

Any advice on steps to try to get this upgraded?

And why would Twitter say it's upgradable, and then not be able to upgrade it when I book it, immediately after being told there's availability?
Did you try calling rather than asking the Twitter team to process it? The Twitter team is useful for simple requests but it may be worth being able to talk to someone for a more obscure request like this.

That said, there have been a few reports of people having trouble with VS upgrades and I don't recall a single success story so that's not a good sign. If you're on the phone with someone you might be able to plant ideas in their minds -- for example "So is it the 'G' bucket that needs to be open?" when they say the right bucket isn't open, since often times it seems the agents might look for the OP bucket used for Delta, not realizing that's not the right bucket for partners (the same thing has seemed to happen with KLM upgrades, where the Z bucket is apparently needed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.