Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Ok, I just read the link a bit more carefully and there's some good news:
Global Upgrade Certificates can be used for Delta-marketed Virgin Atlantic flights outside of transatlantic travel, including Virgin’s London-Heathrow flights to Dubai, Shanghai, Johannesburg and Delhi.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Ok, I just read the link a bit more carefully and there's some good news:
The problem is, it's not clear if you can buy those flights on a Delta flight number. They don't appear to show up on Delta.com under a Delta flight number, which isn't a good sign. Though it is even odder that they would call out those destinations in the release if you can't.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
IIRC A long time ago Delta had more or less the same rules for KLM flights and no upgrade to F on AF. However in practice on the DOD you could upgrade on KLM marketed/ticketed flights at AMS and outerstations as long as the agent knew what to do.
Same with DOD upgrades to F on AF.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
According to Delta's route map, there are no non-stop flights ex-LHR to any destination other than the US, and that includes codeshares.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Delta updated their page, gone are the Dubai, Shanghai, Johannesburg and Dehli destinations as is the premium pre-departure experience via car services:

Use Global Upgrade Certificates on Virgin Atlantic-Operated, Delta-Marketed Flights

Beginning July 15, 2016, SkyMiles Diamond Medallion members can now use Global Upgrade Certificates for all fare classes to upgrade into Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on flights marketed by Delta Air Lines. The changes provide greater choice to our Diamond Medallion members for travel from the United States to the United Kingdom, and reflect the growing connectivity of our schedules. Benefits of the Upper Class experience include:

Private security screening and Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge and Clubhouse access
Seating that converts into a fully-flat bed
Direct aisle access
Meals designed by celebrity chef Lorraine Pascale

Virgin Atlantic currently offers service to London-Heathrow from 11 US cities, as well as additional service from the United States to London-Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow.

Medallion members must contact Delta directly to apply the certificates for travel, and upgrades will remain subject to Award availability. Mileage accrual is based on the price of the original ticket before upgrade is applied.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Do you have to pay the luxury tax to use a GUC?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Delta updated their page, gone are the Dubai, Shanghai, Johannesburg and Dehli destinations as is the premium pre-departure experience via car services:

Use Global Upgrade Certificates on Virgin Atlantic-Operated, Delta-Marketed Flights

Beginning July 15, 2016, SkyMiles Diamond Medallion members can now use Global Upgrade Certificates for all fare classes to upgrade into Virgin Atlantic Upper Class on flights marketed by Delta Air Lines. The changes provide greater choice to our Diamond Medallion members for travel from the United States to the United Kingdom, and reflect the growing connectivity of our schedules. Benefits of the Upper Class experience include:

Private security screening and Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge and Clubhouse access
Seating that converts into a fully-flat bed
Direct aisle access
Meals designed by celebrity chef Lorraine Pascale

Virgin Atlantic currently offers service to London-Heathrow from 11 US cities, as well as additional service from the United States to London-Gatwick, Manchester and Glasgow.

Medallion members must contact Delta directly to apply the certificates for travel, and upgrades will remain subject to Award availability. Mileage accrual is based on the price of the original ticket before upgrade is applied.
So pretty much UK only. Nice DL. Wonder how the UG inventory will be.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Do you have to pay the luxury tax to use a GUC?
Yes. Just like on mileage upgrade rewards.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. So while the T&Cs permit global use, the fact that you need to buy a Delta-marketed flight effectively means you can't use it on the rest of the VS network.
DL does include VS in award itins beyond LHR, but with VS flight numbers.
For example, I just found an 80,000 mile one way business class booking - IST-CDG-LHR-HKG.
And I've found DCA-XXX-LHR-India awards.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:18 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. Just like on mileage upgrade rewards.
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure what is meant by luxury tax here but I assume the poster is referring to the higher Air Passenger Duty? I have used GUCs on Delta metal from London before and did not pay any extra APD, though in the case in question the upgrade was waitlisted and only cleared just before departure, not sure if it would have been different if it had cleared in advance. Since you can't waitlist VS upgrades it might be different. I'd be curious to hear any experiences.

I also don't know how APD is enforced and if DL might have ended up having to pay extra tax for my late upgrade. If they do, perhaps they will charge it on VS upgrades, especially because VS would naturally pay more attention to that issue than DL would, being London based. I don't know if VS charges the higher APD for mileage upgrades for members of their own FFP? That might be indicative. I don't think I've ever heard about them charging more.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure what is meant by luxury tax here but I assume the poster is referring to the higher Air Passenger Duty? I have used GUCs on Delta metal from London before and did not pay any extra APD, though in the case in question the upgrade was waitlisted and only cleared just before departure, not sure if it would have been different if it had cleared in advance. Since you can't waitlist VS upgrades it might be different. I'd be curious to hear any experiences.

I also don't know how APD is enforced and if DL might have ended up having to pay extra tax for my late upgrade. If they do, perhaps they will charge it on VS upgrades, especially because VS would naturally pay more attention to that issue than DL would, being London based. I don't know if VS charges the higher APD for mileage upgrades for members of their own FFP? That might be indicative. I don't think I've ever heard about them charging more.
If you clear before (as would be the case with VS) then you pay the air luxury tax. If however you're waitlisted (only DL metal flights) and clear at the gate then DL pays the luxury tax.

Enforcement is simple, if a passenger flies in J then the J APD is due. It doesn't matter when or how they get to sit in the cabin, just that they're seated in it. Who pays it is generally for most airlines a matter of if you clear prior or at the gate.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 21, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

You have been extremely lucky then. LHR and CDG are well known for charging the luxury (solidarity in France) tax when upgrading to Business Class on miles or upgrade instruments. Once I was offered an airport upgrade on a VS-operated/DL-coded flight, and the tax came up in the receipt in the cost breakdown.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
GUCs on Virgin Atlantic

An appropriate 10,000th post...

DMs can now use GUCs on VS!
  • Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.
  • Global Upgrades on Virgin Atlantic flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by rwoman

• Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.
  • Global Upgrades on Virgin Atlantic flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight.
Woohoo! Now go update your sig!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rwoman

Not that this isn't great news, but this was posted back in July and is discussed in this thread right above on this very page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.