Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I have read through the past year or so of this thread, and it looks like some changes have been made to the terms of the relationship that seem to be to the benefit of PMs and DMs.

I am considering a Mileage Run to JNB in December to put me over the top for DM next year. I want to try out VS in PE, but lounge access during the long layover, and in JNB concerns me.

It looks like most people have had good luck with Clubhouse lounge access in LHR even when connecting onward to places like JNB. Is this the case? Has anyone been able to access the JNB Clubhouse as a DL elite when flying Virgin PE? Are there other ways to access that club? Would I at least have access to the Air France club while in JNB even if not flying AF or DL?

My main concern is not getting stuck in the terminal at LHR for 10 hours when connecting to JNB and not venturing out of the airport during that time. Clubhouse access would be great, and a shower would be even better.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
I have read through the past year or so of this thread, and it looks like some changes have been made to the terms of the relationship that seem to be to the benefit of PMs and DMs.

I am considering a Mileage Run to JNB in December to put me over the top for DM next year. I want to try out VS in PE, but lounge access during the long layover, and in JNB concerns me.

It looks like most people have had good luck with Clubhouse lounge access in LHR even when connecting onward to places like JNB. Is this the case? Has anyone been able to access the JNB Clubhouse as a DL elite when flying Virgin PE? Are there other ways to access that club? Would I at least have access to the Air France club while in JNB even if not flying AF or DL?

My main concern is not getting stuck in the terminal at LHR for 10 hours when connecting to JNB and not venturing out of the airport during that time. Clubhouse access would be great, and a shower would be even better.

Thanks in advance!
I, too, have always been curious as to whether a DM/PM traveling through LHR onward to Africa or Asia from the US has access to the VS Clubhouse.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Of course you get access at LHR. You have a same day flight TATL to/from US-UK. This is what matters. JNB get access as long as continuing onward to US from UK.

Note there hasnt been an AF/KL lounge at JNB in over 1.5 years. It's contracted now.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Of course you get access at LHR. You have a same day flight TATL to/from US-UK. This is what matters. JNB get access as long as continuing onward to US from UK.

Note there hasnt been an AF/KL lounge at JNB in over 1.5 years. It's contracted now.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

I didn't realize it had been so long since I had flown to JNB that the AF/KL lounge had been closed for that long. That definitely firms up my decision to use VS over AF!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:20 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I cannot find the specific answer to these lounge access questions anywhere on DL's website.

I'm flying PDX-LAX-LHR in December. 006 stock. PDX-LAX is C+ and LAX-LHR is Upper Class mileage upgrade. I'm DL PM. Since VS is not SkyTeam, STE+ access rules don't apply. I know that I have Clubhouse access in LAX due to the UC ticket and due to PM. But do I get any Sky Club access in PDX? Either on the basis of PM or the same-day UC ticket?

In practice this doesn't matter, since I have an Amex Platinum that I can use to access the PDX SC, but I'm curious. Also, if I was status eligible I could likely bring a guest, which I can't do with the Plat.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You get access at PDX based on being a PM flying same day to/from the UK. Also because you're flying VS UC.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:54 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
You get access at PDX based on being a PM flying same day to/from the UK. Also because you're flying VS UC.
Is there anywhere to read this policy?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by C W
Is there anywhere to read this policy?
Should be on delta.com. however the Delta SC locations search function will work. Remove SC member, select to/from UK and then select airport.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hi all,

Just booked LHR-LAX-SAN-MSP-LHR, with the flight to LAX on VS. Normally, I've had no issue with getting access to seats on VS without paying (as a DM) - be it TATL or other flights ex-LHR. Tonight, the VS site kept wanting to charge me for the exit or most other seats.

I called VS. While my DL SkyMiles number transferred over, my date of birth did not, which caused the issue. The VS agent updated the reservation and I got a seat (free!) with no issue.

Happy flying!

Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist

Unfortunately this is inaccurate. DM/PM do not receive access to JNB clubhouse when continuing onward via LHR with a same-day TATL to the US.

I'm currently in JNB flying JNB>LHR>SFO and was denied entry, agent advised outstation clubhouses do not grant entry to DM/PM regardless of itinerary. Delta's partner FAQ supports this as only US and UK clubhouses mentioned. Also confirmed with Delta via Twitter that JNB is not open to DM/PM.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bronchial
Unfortunately this is inaccurate. DM/PM do not receive access to JNB clubhouse when continuing onward via LHR with a same-day TATL to the US.

I'm currently in JNB flying JNB>LHR>SFO and was denied entry, agent advised outstation clubhouses do not grant entry to DM/PM regardless of itinerary. Delta's partner FAQ supports this as only US and UK clubhouses mentioned. Also confirmed with Delta via Twitter that JNB is not open to DM/PM.
I reported the same upthread after the same advice from @flyerCO. I was flying JNB/LHR exactly a year ago and was unable to enter the JNB clubhouse. Both DL via Twitter and VS via Facebook.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I reported the same upthread after the same advice from @flyerCO. I was flying JNB/LHR exactly a year ago and was unable to enter the JNB clubhouse. Both DL via Twitter and VS via Facebook.
Yes you do. You don't get access if not continuing onward to the US same day.

JNB-LHR-LAX - directly connecting onward to LAX (US) Get access in both JNB and LHR.
JNB-LHR then next day or later LHR-LAX, no access at JNB, access at LHR DoD to LAX.
JNB-ATL no Clubhouse access. (Not sure it's even open when the DL departs)

Note the last time I was in Y and thus was granted access based on status was over a year ago. Generally I'm in J and thus it's no issue. It was the VS lounge agent that advised me that I could get in for free as long as continuing onward same day to US. I was expecting to need to pay (was in PE) for access.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist

JNB-LHR-LAX - directly connecting onward to LAX (US) Get access in both JNB and LHR.
JNB-LHR then next day or later LHR-LAX, no access at JNB, access at LHR DoD to LAX.

Note the last time I was in Y and thus was granted access based on status was over a year ago. Generally I'm in J and thus it's no issue. It was the VS lounge agent that advised me that I could get in for free as long as continuing onward same day to US. I was expecting to need to pay (was in PE) for access.
I'm directly connecting onward as described except to SFO (JNB-LHR-SFO) instead of LAX and was denied entry by the agent into JNB clubhouse.

I suspect rules may have changed since your last experience as they were very clear regarding the policy which I later confirmed with Delta via Twitter.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Just got back to the UK this morning from JNB.

The VS lounge is open prior to the DL flight (DL leaves about 15-20 minutes earlier), but DL uses the SLOW Lounge at JNB before the ATL-JNB flight - as a third party lounge, only access for J pax.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened to the AF lounge at JNB? Looks like it is closed now as see AF lists the SLOW lounge for J passengers. Is it in the former AF lounge space?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.