Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Did Virgin discontinue their DTW/LHR flight? I'm going to London in December and always thought Virgin did the earlier flight on their metal and Delta the later flight and both code shared? Looks like both flights are now on Delta metal.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Did Virgin discontinue their DTW/LHR flight? I'm going to London in December and always thought Virgin did the earlier flight on their metal and Delta the later flight and both code shared? Looks like both flights are now on Delta metal.
Yes -- they swapped SEA and DTW a couple of years ago (DL took over the DTW flight and VS took over the SEA flight)
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You always earn based on what you paid. Note you will need to ask for manual reprocessing. Upgrade VS flights book into G class, same as used for awards. Thus system thinks it's an award ticket and doesn't give credit based on the actual paid ticket.
Can you or anyone give a little more info on the process to get credit for original fare boked? I booked a VS V fare then upgraded with VS miles. It completely re-fared to add the taxes and now shows I'm in P and G.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I was looking at booking a DL flight with VS miles. Delta just released the seats today but VS don't have access to them yet. Does anyone know when DL allows partners access? It's for next year so just been released.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was looking at booking a DL flight with VS miles. Delta just released the seats today but VS don't have access to them yet. Does anyone know when DL allows partners access? It's for next year so just been released.
I think the issue is that VS doesn't book that far out. This is a problem with booking awards so far out. Some airlines only book 330 days, some 365.

In fact with some situations, it's possible to book an award on a partner, before the partner's own members can book on that partner.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think the issue is that VS doesn't book that far out. This is a problem with booking awards so far out. Some airlines only book 330 days, some 365.

In fact with some situations, it's possible to book an award on a partner, before the partner's own members can book on that partner.
Yeah its definitely within the date range of VS as its showing me flight on their metal with silly taxes! Checked via KLM and it seems even they don't have access yet so DL must be holding it for their members first.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: VS Silver, SQ Elite Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, AS MVP Gold 75k
Flying Club Silver = silver medallion

I am a flying club silver member for a number of years and have never experienced this on DL flights before. Taking a flight tomorrow booked originally as a VA award with paid upgrade to comfort plus. My boarding pass shows me as silver medallion member. Has anyone else experienced this? I have used priority boarding and such with Silver but never seen proper DL status on tickets. Should be flying club Gold after trip is over. Hoping to see Gold Elite or higher on boarding passes.
jspira likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ian Z
I am a flying club silver member for a number of years and have never experienced this on DL flights before. Taking a flight tomorrow booked originally as a VA award with paid upgrade to comfort plus. My boarding pass shows me as silver medallion member. Has anyone else experienced this? I have used priority boarding and such with Silver but never seen proper DL status on tickets. Should be flying club Gold after trip is over. Hoping to see Gold Elite or higher on boarding passes.
I think someone accidentally encoded Medallion to appear after Silver. The system I'm willing to bet just sees you as VS Silver.
Ian Z likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yes -- they swapped SEA and DTW a couple of years ago (DL took over the DTW flight and VS took over the SEA flight)
SEA/LHR - Which they have ended until March 2022 at earliest.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by doubleA
SEA/LHR - Which they have ended until March 2022 at earliest.
FYI, most of this thread is dated. Post quoted is from 2 years ago.
doubleA likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM
How forgiving is the US-based VS check-in crew to DL Diamonds?

Flying LAX-MCO-LHR-XXX with the latter two segments on VS. I have a 28 hr layover in LHR. This can be avoided if I fly MCO-MAN-XXX. Wondering it makes sense to ask the counter at LAX? Was booked via an OTA.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:58 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by greycap7

Flying LAX-MCO-LHR-XXX with the latter two segments on VS. I have a 28 hr layover in LHR. This can be avoided if I fly MCO-MAN-XXX. Wondering it makes sense to ask the counter at LAX? Was booked via an OTA.
You can ask, but this isn't a change Delta would do for free for a DM either, so I wouldn't expect anything.

Has your flight schedule changed in any significant way since it was originally booked (compare to your original confirmation email to be sure)? If so you may be able to make a case for being eligible for rerouting due to a schedule change -- assuming this was booked on a 006 ticket and DL flight numbers, Delta is usually fairly generous in such situations, though the OTA booking may complicate matters.

Otherwise, pray for a delay that becomes apparent early enough day of that you can request a reroute.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by greycap7

Unless IROPS are involved, I'd not be optimistic, as it involves a reroute/reissue and tax recalc (even if the airline doesn't pass the additional or refund on to you).
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bgriff
You can ask, but this isn't a change Delta would do for free for a DM either, so I wouldn't expect anything.

Has your flight schedule changed in any significant way since it was originally booked (compare to your original confirmation email to be sure)? If so you may be able to make a case for being eligible for rerouting due to a schedule change -- assuming this was booked on a 006 ticket and DL flight numbers, Delta is usually fairly generous in such situations, though the OTA booking may complicate matters.

Otherwise, pray for a delay that becomes apparent early enough day of that you can request a reroute.
Thanks for the note. Hopes aren't too high, but one can wish... Only a slight schedule change of about 2 hours, was notified by VS about it. Even though they suggest that I can choose to amend my booking, the website suggests that I need to connect with the OTA instead.

This is a VS ticket and consequently has a 932 ticket number. Only the first segment is operated by DL which helps for displaying the itinerary on the app. I think even with an IIROP DoD, I won't get much help from DL if I've already flown the DL segment. Forgot to mention that this is a premium cabin fare, so that might be a slight advantage.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Unless IROPS are involved, I'd not be optimistic, as it involves a reroute/reissue and tax recalc (even if the airline doesn't pass the additional or refund on to you).
Yup, that's what I'm thinking. There's been a 2hr schedule change, but likely not enough to cause wholesale changes.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have a LHR/DTW flight this summer and only way they could confirm the GUC was with a connection in AMS on KLM on their metal with a short layover in AMS connecting to a Delta flight to DTW on Delta metal.

Will I have access to the Clubhouse on Departure? The rules state DL diamonds and PM's have access if flying Delta or Virgin. I know KLM is now in T3 and not sure if I'll have access since the first leg in on KLM metal but I'm flying on an 006 Delta ticket number.

Also will I have access to the upper class wing for security? I'll be carrying on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.