Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's a VS ticket, so they would be in charge of the reroute. I'm not sure who their preferred partners are (besides DL), but I don't think they partner up with AF or KL, so I doubt they'd reroute you on those carriers. They'd first try to get you on a VS flight over the Atlantic I presume.
AF/KL are in process of or have started being partners with VS.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's a VS ticket, so they would be in charge of the reroute. I'm not sure who their preferred partners are (besides DL), but I don't think they partner up with AF or KL, so I doubt they'd reroute you on those carriers. They'd first try to get you on a VS flight over the Atlantic I presume, probably to LHR then onwards with a partner.
Right, but there are DL codeshares on all of the AMS-CPH and CDG-CPH flights, so I wasn't sure if that counts as a "prefered partner" routing for IRROPs purposes. I've never had IRROPs with VS so I'm totally unfamiliar with how they operate.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I suppose it is possible VS would put you on a DL flight to AMS/CDG and on a DL codeshare flight onwards, but I still think it is pretty unlikely compared to a reroute on their own metal.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
AF/KL are in process of or have started being partners with VS.
Interesting info. I looked into it and as far as I can tell it hasn't passed regulatory approval, so maybe in the future this would work differently, but in 2 weeks time, no.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I suppose it is possible VS would put you on a DL flight to AMS/CDG and on a DL codeshare flight onwards, but I still think it is pretty unlikely compared to a reroute on their own metal.

Interesting info. I looked into it and as far as I can tell it hasn't passed regulatory approval, so maybe in the future this would work differently, but in 2 weeks time, no.
VS doesn't fly intra-Europe routes. Also VS flights even ex-US are subject to EU261. Thus they'll reroute you as needed. I also believe DL may ground handle the flight on behalf of VS.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I am well aware they don't fly intra-Europe, my point is as a first choice they would put you on their own metal TATL and then onwards with partners (same as the original reservation).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I am well aware they don't fly intra-Europe, my point is as a first choice they would put you on their own metal TATL and then onwards with partners (same as the original reservation).
Fair enough. However due to Eu261 they'll route you as needed to avoid paying. Most likely on DL to LHR. Remember DL/VS are JV to UK. It doesn't matter cost wise which carrier you fly on, it's split 50/50.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: VS Gold
Has anyone here recently booked DL Main Cabin through VS? I've got LHR-BOS-LHR in Feb, outbound on VS, return on DL. Booked Economy for both legs, but the DL site seems to have gotten it's pants in a twist and is now saying I'm in Delta One:

As a result I've had to message DL on Twitter to get them to assign me a seat. Looks like I can't try and grab a Comfort+ seat as VS Gold until checkin, which is a pain.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is likely due to the fact that O is a cheap economy fare class on VS, but it's used as a business award booking class on DL. It looks like DL isn't correctly mapping the VS fare class into economy.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Quick question about booking Premium Economy on a VS ticket - for Delta domestic connections sold as VS codeshares, where are you seated on a premium economy fare? (Specifically, K class.)

On Delta's own code and metal with the new A350 product, premium economy connections appear to book into first. But it's hard to tell where the VS ticket would seat you - their web site just says to contact Delta when you try to look at the seat map during a test booking, and it shows the flight as "K - Premium Economy", even on aircraft that don't have a true PE cabin like a 717 or 737.

Does K on a VS 4xxx Delta-operated flight map to a seat in economy, Comfort+ or First?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by BenA
Quick question about booking Premium Economy on a VS ticket - for Delta domestic connections sold as VS codeshares, where are you seated on a premium economy fare? (Specifically, K class.)

On Delta's own code and metal with the new A350 product, premium economy connections appear to book into first. But it's hard to tell where the VS ticket would seat you - their web site just says to contact Delta when you try to look at the seat map during a test booking, and it shows the flight as "K - Premium Economy", even on aircraft that don't have a true PE cabin like a 717 or 737.

Does K on a VS 4xxx Delta-operated flight map to a seat in economy, Comfort+ or First?
I suspect it is coach, but not sure. Traditionally international premium economy has booked connections into shorthaul economy (e.g., Air France PE over the Atlantic connecting to a European flight); it is only with Delta's new PE product that they have changed this industry convention.

If it were a DL flight number, K would obviously be coach, but for a VS flight number that is not necessarily still the case. But I'm pretty sure VS (and for that matter VA and AF) international PE has always connected to Delta coach in the past.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have a flight coming up later this year dtw/LHR in business class which will be paid for with OPM since it's a work trip.

In the past I have always flown Delta metal since if it was for personal travel since I could use a GU and if it was business travel that was paid for I'd also use Delta for the MQM's.

With the new MQD requirements for diamonds starting next year, I really don't care about the MQM's on this trip where in the past it would matter.

There is a pretty sizeable fare difference between non-stop and connecting the dates I'm travelling so I will just connect to justify the ticket price.

Is there a big difference between DL ONE and Virgin Upper class? Both are the same price connecting at JFK or EWR.

I noticed virgin has a "snooze one" between a couple of their seats in the seat maps and also appears to be 1:1:1 seating instead of 1:2:1 like on Delta but that's not a huge deal for me since I always take window seats on Direct aisle access flight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have a flight coming up later this year dtw/LHR in business class which will be paid for with OPM since it's a work trip.

In the past I have always flown Delta metal since if it was for personal travel since I could use a GU and if it was business travel that was paid for I'd also use Delta for the MQM's.

With the new MQD requirements for diamonds starting next year, I really don't care about the MQM's on this trip where in the past it would matter.

There is a pretty sizeable fare difference between non-stop and connecting the dates I'm travelling so I will just connect to justify the ticket price.

Is there a big difference between DL ONE and Virgin Upper class? Both are the same price connecting at JFK or EWR.

I noticed virgin has a "snooze one" between a couple of their seats in the seat maps and also appears to be 1:1:1 seating instead of 1:2:1 like on Delta but that's not a huge deal for me since I always take window seats on Direct aisle access flight.
There are lots of head-to-head comparisons on this topic in this thread and elsewhere. Perhaps we should start a wiki one of these days.

I wouldn't recommend connecting in EWR as you'd have to reclear security arriving on a DL domestic flight connecting to a VS flight because VS is in a different pier. And the VS Clubhouse is nicer at JFK (and you'd be eligible to use it whether flying out to LHR on DL or VS). But if you're flying between now and December, one of the runways is closed for construction at JFK and that is causing some nasty afternoon/evening delays, so EWR might be better for now, or leave lots of extra connecting time at JFK.

I think Virgin has discontinued the Snooze Zone in terms of actually enforcing it onboard, though some of the seat maps still show it.

Virgin does a very abbreviated service on eastbound TATL flights assuming people have already eaten in the lounge, where you can get a full sit-down restaurant-style meal. So if you like it to be dark and quiet sooner, Virgin is a better choice.

Who has better seats is a subject of much debate and personal preference, though it is generally agreed that the Virgin A330 seats are the worst of the Virgin lineup, and Virgin's window seats are better than their center seats. But note that the Virgin seats angle toward the aisle, so if you like to look out the window, they are a poor choice. Virgin's seats also require you to stand up in order to recline into a bed, as the seat back flips down rather than just reclining back. If you are familiar with Delta's 777 seats, Virgin's are similar to those, except Delta's do not flip down.

But Delta's London flights are also all on 767s, which many people find to be a pretty bad seat too.

Personally for a night flight I would take a Virgin 787, then a toss-up between a Virgin 346 and a Delta 767, then a Virgin 330. For a day flight I'd try to avoid the Virgin 346 as they don't have regular AC power outlets for working, and if you're going to be on a laptop I find the Delta 767 seat with the storage table next to you more convenient in general than any of the Virgin seats, though again preferences vary.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
... for a night flight I would take a Virgin 787, then a toss-up between a Virgin 346 and a Delta 767, then a Virgin 330. For a day flight I'd try to avoid the Virgin 346 as they don't have regular AC power outlets for working, and if you're going to be on a laptop I find the Delta 767 seat with the storage table next to you more convenient in general than any of the Virgin seats, though again preferences vary.
Agree. Virgin's Upper Class seat makes an excellent bed, but a mediocre seat, largely because there isn't much recline in seat mode. I try to fly VS eastbound and someone else westbound.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:20 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Personally for a night flight I would take a Virgin 787, then a toss-up between a Virgin 346 and a Delta 767, then a Virgin 330. For a day flight I'd try to avoid the Virgin 346 as they don't have regular AC power outlets for working, and if you're going to be on a laptop I find the Delta 767 seat with the storage table next to you more convenient in general than any of the Virgin seats, though again preferences vary.
Having recently flown DTW-MUC, AMS-SEA, SEA-LHR, and LHR-SEA all in business I can compare the DL 763, DL 332 (not relevant here), and VS 789. I personally rank the 763 a little higher for night flights; not having to get out of the seat to for the seat/bed switch is a mild convenience and I felt like the seat-side space was easier to use for things like my CPAP, tablet, etc than on the VS 789. OTOH, the 789's footrest beat the "my feet disappear into the bulkhead" seat I had on the 763 and the bed felt a bit wider (might have been psychological rather than actual since I didn't measure it). The 789's window size is less useful when you are looking away from the window, but I think the better cabin pressure and humidity are still a comfort gain.

Personally, for day flights I'd pick the 763 and for night flights it's a toss-up. Since SEA-LHR is all VS metal I don't have a choice to London anyway unless I want to connect, and I don't want to connect...I want to sleep.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Thanks! Good point about EWR and reclearing security, I didn't think about that plus I love the Virgin Clubhouse. I'm flying in early December and think I'll just do Virgin to give them a try. I'm not feeling much loyalty to Delta these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.