Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cbelletete
Not sure about SJU, but CUN and other are eligible for upgrades and I can confirm that. Per Delta site “Caribbean and Central America” are eligible for F upgrades.
CUN is in Mexico, which is part of North America.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CUN is in Mexico, which is part of North America.
I’m aware of the geography. The Post only made the distinction between domestic and international. Just wanted to point out that Delta explicitly calls out the entirety of the Caribbean and Central America as eligible. So more than just “domestic” is eligible.

They do not, however, define what they consider included in the “Caribbean” and therefore eligible for upgrades.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I’m aware of the geography. The Post only made the distinction between domestic and international. Just wanted to point out that Delta explicitly calls out the entirety of the Caribbean and Central America as eligible. So more than just “domestic” is eligible.

They do not, however, define what they consider included in the “Caribbean” and therefore eligible for upgrades.
I always just say that DL defines "international" differently for different purposes. For example, think about lounge access rules.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't really have anything to do with domestic vs. international. All DL flights that are marketed as "First Class" are eligible for Medallion comp upgrades which includes domestic, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, and some destinations in Northern South America. MSP-KEF is served by domestic FC aircraft, but the FC cabin is marketed as Premium Select, so it is not comp upgrade eligible.

Where domestic vs. international comes into play is with Delta One flights where domestic US50 D1 flights are comp upgrade eligible, but international D1 flights (basically longer-haul international as there are no D1 marketed flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America) are not. JFK-BOG is a bit complicated as it is currently flown with domestic 757 FC aircraft and marketed as FC (and is thus upgrade eligible), but switches to a 767 on Oct 29th and will be D1 marketed and not comp upgrade eligible at that point. It is currently scheduled to switch back to a domestic FC 757 on March 25th.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 7, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks all for clarifying, looks like I will need to give Delta a call then because I can't manage upgrade requests for any of the legs of this trip in the app or on the website for some reason. (traveling with 1 companion who is FO and SkyMiles number is attached so other than the potential international rule I couldn't think of any reason why it would be blocked).
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by VacationMode
Thanks all for clarifying, looks like I will need to give Delta a call then because I can't manage upgrade requests for any of the legs of this trip in the app or on the website for some reason. (traveling with 1 companion who is FO and SkyMiles number is attached so other than the potential international rule I couldn't think of any reason why it would be blocked).
Are these award tickets? If so, I don't think you can upgrade a companion (or get an upgrade yourself if you're on the same PNR).
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these award tickets? If so, I don't think you can upgrade a companion (or get an upgrade yourself if you're on the same PNR).
It is an award trip, but that shouldn't matter based on what I saw here https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...d%20Tickets%2C

These also aren't on partner flights, although one flight on the return is operated by Endeavor Air but I don't believe that has prevented upgrades in the past.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by VacationMode
Flying DTW-ATL-SJU in paid C+, I’m assuming ATL-SJU is considered international so F upgrades won’t be available but should I expect to be able to request upgrades to F on the DTW-ATL leg? Or is it blocked because it’s part of an international trip?
I'm a little confused. How is ATL-SJU considered an International flight? It's definitely comp eligible; I've been upgraded on this flight several times.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyinhwn
I'm a little confused. How is ATL-SJU considered an International flight? It's definitely comp eligible; I've been upgraded on this flight several times.
Perhaps a bad assumption on my part, I thought Delta's definition of international was anything not in the 50 states... but glad to know it's comp eligible.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle
Upgraded!!

Flying SAV to BOS via LGA. Upgraded on both segments after changing flights from today to tomorrow.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I was upgraded to the lone remaining seat upfront during the tail end of the boarding process, except the upgrade waitlist still showed my name as #1, and my boarding pass still has the C+ interface. Wholly domestic (US) itinerary.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:34 pm

Odds for a complimentary upgrade from Main Cabin to Delta One from SFO to JFK as Diamond Medallion? ~10 days out and 21 seats left!

Are they still serving Souvla Greek catering on this route?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by nygiants242
Odds for a complimentary upgrade from Main Cabin to Delta One from SFO to JFK as Diamond Medallion? ~10 days out and 21 seats left!

Are they still serving Souvla Greek catering on this route?
I’m not sure if they have Souvla on some flights but not others but recently this route had the NYC based premium catering which I think is USHG? It was pasta with an impossible meat sauce IIRC, I’m sure there are more details in the food thread.

as for UG availability… that route has a lot of last minute D1 purchases and SDCs. I find the red eye is the hardest to get upgraded on. Would be worth a RUC in my opinion.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Any ideas how i was 2 of four on d1 to lhr using a guc and then three people were just upgraded to d1. So now I am still second on the upg but only one seat is lef
t?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Any ideas how i was 2 of four on d1 to lhr using a guc and then three people were just upgraded to d1. So now I am still second on the upg but only one seat is left?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.