Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by zitsky
Asking for my partner, who is not on Flyertalk. Is it impossible for a Silver Medallion with a companion to upgrade from Comfort Plus on an international flight JFK-FCO to Premium Select or Delta One? I suspect he doesn't have enough miles, even if he could. He only has 140,000 miles so not many. We have already requested First class upgrades from RDU-JFK, not a big deal. but would be nice. Upgrades on JFK-FCO are showing as "not available" or something similar. I suspect it's the fare code and/or it's just not possible to upgrade from Comfort Plus with his status, and with a companion.

Not at all a big deal, just curious because I manage everything, although we did book the flight together since we used his Delta Amex and my eCredit.
When is your flight and how full are those sections now? I'm a Silver and was offered paid upgrades to PS and D1 from Main Cabin on my JFK-BCN flight in early April - D1 was way too much for me, but PS was 25000 miles or $250, so I upgraded. It had been 50,000/$500 before it dropped though. The flight is not full though in any section. The return is offering me D1, but again it's way too much miles/money, don't think I will even get the comp upgrade to C+ since that section is full, and PS has no seats available. So if the flight is not that full, it is possible that they could offer a buy up at an affordable price, but if it is pretty full, then they won't..
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by MelP
When is your flight and how full are those sections now? I'm a Silver and was offered paid upgrades to PS and D1 from Main Cabin on my JFK-BCN flight in early April - D1 was way too much for me, but PS was 25000 miles or $250, so I upgraded. It had been 50,000/$500 before it dropped though. The flight is not full though in any section. The return is offering me D1, but again it's way too much miles/money, don't think I will even get the comp upgrade to C+ since that section is full, and PS has no seats available. So if the flight is not that full, it is possible that they could offer a buy up at an affordable price, but if it is pretty full, then they won't..
Flight 9/22/22. PS and D1 almost empty. I’m sure that will change.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Ah, it's way too early to know then. Probably won't see any offers at all until summer, IF it remains relatively empty.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Jfk-las 18 FC as of 7 days and as qualified diamond no upgrade now 3 days prior. T fare. Ive noticed when i book c+ fare i always get FC in the 6-7 day window but with main its gate clear only.

Now 14 FC remaining with less then 3 days, delta thinks they can move em.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cubeman
Jfk-las 18 FC as of 7 days and as qualified diamond no upgrade now 3 days prior. T fare. Ive noticed when i book c+ fare i always get FC in the 6-7 day window but with main its gate clear only.

Now 14 FC remaining with less then 3 days, delta thinks they can move em.
I don't necessarily think there is a rhyme or reason to it. I've been on a couple PHX-JFK redeyes within the last month. The first one I cleared at window and there were only a few seats open in FC for gate upgrades. The second flight they were holding back 15 seats for gate upgrades. Whether on not one buys a C+ seat wouldn't be a factor in the number of seats they are holding back for upgrades.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM Charter Reserve 2MM, MAR PLAT, Choice DIA
Originally Posted by xliioper
I don't necessarily think there is a rhyme or reason to it. I've been on a couple PHX-JFK redeyes within the last month. The first one I cleared at window and there were only a few seats open in FC for gate upgrades. The second flight they were holding back 15 seats for gate upgrades. Whether on not one buys a C+ seat wouldn't be a factor in the number of seats they are holding back for upgrades.
agree, i have yet to crack the code to upgrades lately, i always book main cabin fare,
i've had some clear 5-7 days out and others at the gate, last flight i didn't clear at all and sat in the last row, (wanted entire row to myself vs C+ middle or main aisle next to some one)
i thought it was just DL trying to sell them (upgrades), but many are XX and not available for upgrade purchase. you can still book FC of course.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
It will. Most folks don't book that far out.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:13 pm

Anyone else have trouble with the Delta App flaking out after about three proposed itineraries? if I'm poking around a couple of dates, I notice that on try four, the app stops responding.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta
Work comped my Delta Reserve card and reading the benefits, if I get a complimentary upgrade and my wife is with me, are we both upgraded? I hate to leave her stranded back in BE. Anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by initial e
Work comped my Delta Reserve card and reading the benefits, if I get a complimentary upgrade and my wife is with me, are we both upgraded? I hate to leave her stranded back in BE. Anyone know for sure?
IIRC one of the recent changes is that BE tickets are not eligible for upgrades.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC one of the recent changes is that BE tickets are not eligible for upgrades.
I was just using BE and understand. What if we were both Comfort+ ?

She would be absolutely upset it only one of us got upgraded lol.

I’d rather not be upgraded than deal with her lecture.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by initial e
I was just using BE and understand. What if we were both Comfort+ ?

She would be absolutely upset it only one of us got upgraded lol.

I’d rather not be upgraded than deal with her lecture.
Companions aren't upgraded based on the card. They are based on your medallion status.

There is a companion certificate, once per year.

I've forgone upgrades because my wife traveled with me, and it wasn't on the same reservation, so I know what you mean.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Companions aren't upgraded based on the card. They are based on your medallion status.

I've forgone upgrades because my wife traveled with me, and it wasn't on the same reservation, so I know what you mean.
The annual companion certs are for a free domestic companion ticket, coach for the DL AmEx Plat card and FC for the Reserve card. The AmEx DL Gold card doesn't get one, and they're not for upgrades anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The annual companion certs are for a free domestic companion ticket, coach for the DL AmEx Plat card and FC for the Reserve card. The AmEx DL Gold card doesn't get one, and they're not for upgrades anyway.
One more clarification. Thanks for everyone being patient with me here. But we would be on the same reservation.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:51 am

If you’re on the same reservation you’ll be upgraded together. But if you don’t have status even though it is technically a benefit of the reserve card, you’re unlikely to ever clear an upgrade even to C+ because you’ll be behind ever medallion tier and after last years status bonus they’re more plentiful than ever before. This is a WFBF/WC+BC+ situation
jamesteroh and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.