Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Can someone chime in the logical reason for the below scenario? Thanks in advance!

I am complementary waitlisted for domestic D1, earned Plat, #2 inside of T-24. #1 is on both C+ and D1 lists as #1.

Under what scenario would #1 be? If Plat or above, #1 would have been moved to C+ already (shortly after booking) - there are available C+ seats). Maybe sponsored upgrade from Diamond but the traveler is Gold or Silver?
#1 is not on C+ for whatever reason you are not there. Booked too late or late SDC or IROPs onto flight with no availability in C+
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234
#1 is not on C+ for whatever reason you are not there. Booked too late or late SDC or IROPs onto flight with no availability in C+
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not on C+ waitlist because Plat or above can get C+ shortly after booking. There are a lot of available C+ seats still. I had considered late SDC/IROP scenarios; however, the flight is not until tomorrow (23 hours and 30 minutes from now)...regular check-in time had just opened for the particular flight.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone buys a last minute ticket, there might not be C+ seats available, especially if the person rejects an "upgrade" into a C+ middle seat.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:11 am

Asking for my partner, who is not on Flyertalk. Is it impossible for a Silver Medallion with a companion to upgrade from Comfort Plus on an international flight JFK-FCO to Premium Select or Delta One? I suspect he doesn't have enough miles, even if he could. He only has 140,000 miles so not many. We have already requested First class upgrades from RDU-JFK, not a big deal. but would be nice. Upgrades on JFK-FCO are showing as "not available" or something similar. I suspect it's the fare code and/or it's just not possible to upgrade from Comfort Plus with his status, and with a companion.

Not at all a big deal, just curious because I manage everything, although we did book the flight together since we used his Delta Amex and my eCredit.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
You can upgrade, but they won't offer complimentary upgrades from c+ to PS or Delta One on international flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
You can upgrade, but they won't offer complimentary upgrades from c+ to PS or Delta One on international flights.
Thanks. No I wasn’t expecting comped. I checked again and language is Upgrade Not Eligible so maybe it’s not going to happen?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I know this is a basic question, but what I'm seeing doesn't match what I thought I understood about complimentary upgrades. I earned DM in Dec. My understanding this that PM and above are upgraded at the 5-day window. I have a flight in 3 days and I have yet to be upgraded. Yet the seat map shows 10 of 20 FC seats still empty and the flight info indicates that FC is available with a RUC. Could you explain what's happening and when those seats will next be released? Thank you.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by safigan
I know this is a basic question, but what I'm seeing doesn't match what I thought I understood about complimentary upgrades. I earned DM in Dec. My understanding this that PM and above are upgraded at the 5-day window. I have a flight in 3 days and I have yet to be upgraded. Yet the seat map shows 10 of 20 FC seats still empty and the flight info indicates that FC is available with a RUC. Could you explain what's happening and when those seats will next be released? Thank you.
Seats open in FC does not mean upgrade inventory is available. RUC and Medallion upgrades come from different inventories as well.
You will get upgraded when OY inventory is available for whatever place you are in line.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by MarkCron
You will get upgraded when OY inventory is available for whatever place you are in line.
Thank you. In your experience, when does OY inventory tend to open up? 10 open seats 3 days ahead sounds like it's pretty open, but maybe more FC seats get sold in the last 3 days than I expect. Or maybe they're just stingy opening up seats at the 5 day window?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just to clarify, are you waitlisted for an RUC upgrade, or were you mentioning that just as an indication of how open the cabin is?

Thank you. In your experience, when does OY inventory tend to open up? 10 open seats 3 days ahead sounds like it's pretty open, but maybe more FC seats get sold in the last 3 days than I expect. Or maybe they're just stingy opening up seats at the 5 day window?
There is no set time when either OY or OU (comp upgrade space) opens up; it's based on how may seats revenue management thinks they might sell between now and departure time, which could depend on the route, day of week, etc. In the abstract it sounds stingy (and is annoying if you are hoping to clear) that they wouldn't be upgrading DM/PM with 10 seats open but I have definitely seen something similar recently; I forget the details but think I did eventually clear before T-24 (which is not to say it'll happen here, but...)

I am unsure of just how automated OY/OU inventory "computation" is and whether e.g. in your case where the algorithm actually predicts it might sell 10 seats before departure, or if the algorithm might think it would be ok to release upgrade inventory but it needs to be manually updated by a human (given general experiences with DL IT the latter wouldn't surprise me...)
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks. No I wasn’t expecting comped. I checked again and language is Upgrade Not Eligible so maybe it’s not going to happen?
I'm pretty sure "Upgrade Not Eligible" refers to comp upgrades only and doesn't rule out mileage or certificate supported upgrades. Have you/he tried calling in and asking about it? The relevant thing here is called a Mileage Upgrade Award: Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

which used to be possible system-wide but are now only available on international flights and a lot of agents might not know about them (and may think you are asking about using miles to pay the cash buy-up offer, which is also a thing), so prepare for a confusing conversation :-/
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm pretty sure "Upgrade Not Eligible" refers to comp upgrades only and doesn't rule out mileage or certificate supported upgrades. Have you/he tried calling in and asking about it? The relevant thing here is called a Mileage Upgrade Award: Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

which used to be possible system-wide but are now only available on international flights and a lot of agents might not know about them (and may think you are asking about using miles to pay the cash buy-up offer, which is also a thing), so prepare for a confusing conversation :-/
Thanks! I will check that out.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Asking for my partner, who is not on Flyertalk. Is it impossible for a Silver Medallion with a companion to upgrade from Comfort Plus on an international flight JFK-FCO to Premium Select or Delta One? I suspect he doesn't have enough miles, even if he could. He only has 140,000 miles so not many. We have already requested First class upgrades from RDU-JFK, not a big deal. but would be nice. Upgrades on JFK-FCO are showing as "not available" or something similar. I suspect it's the fare code and/or it's just not possible to upgrade from Comfort Plus with his status, and with a companion.

Not at all a big deal, just curious because I manage everything, although we did book the flight together since we used his Delta Amex and my eCredit.
I wouldn't expect a FO and non-status companion to get FC upgrades on RDU-JFK and vv.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't expect a FO and non-status companion to get FC upgrades on RDU-JFK and vv.
Ok. I certainly didn’t say it’s likely LOL. But since the option is there for First upgrade on the flights to/from RDU, my partner said “why not try”. I would rather keep our comfort plus seats in a known location rather than First seats if I end up sitting by a window. But I’m willing to go along if it happens.

FO means?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

FO means?
FO is the commonly used abbreviation on FlyerTalk for Silver Medallions. According to some this avoids confusion of SM with SkyMiles, or is a historical throwback to either Flying Orchid or Flies Often, or all of the above.

Sampling of related threads:

What is an “FO?”

What does "F0" after my Skymiles number mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.