FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:12 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by safigan
I know this is a basic question, but what I'm seeing doesn't match what I thought I understood about complimentary upgrades. I earned DM in Dec. My understanding this that PM and above are upgraded at the 5-day window. I have a flight in 3 days and I have yet to be upgraded. Yet the seat map shows 10 of 20 FC seats still empty and the flight info indicates that FC is available with a RUC. Could you explain what's happening and when those seats will next be released? Thank you.
Just to clarify, are you waitlisted for an RUC upgrade, or were you mentioning that just as an indication of how open the cabin is?

Originally Posted by safigan
Thank you. In your experience, when does OY inventory tend to open up? 10 open seats 3 days ahead sounds like it's pretty open, but maybe more FC seats get sold in the last 3 days than I expect. Or maybe they're just stingy opening up seats at the 5 day window?
There is no set time when either OY or OU (comp upgrade space) opens up; it's based on how may seats revenue management thinks they might sell between now and departure time, which could depend on the route, day of week, etc. In the abstract it sounds stingy (and is annoying if you are hoping to clear) that they wouldn't be upgrading DM/PM with 10 seats open but I have definitely seen something similar recently; I forget the details but think I did eventually clear before T-24 (which is not to say it'll happen here, but...)

I am unsure of just how automated OY/OU inventory "computation" is and whether e.g. in your case where the algorithm actually predicts it might sell 10 seats before departure, or if the algorithm might think it would be ok to release upgrade inventory but it needs to be manually updated by a human (given general experiences with DL IT the latter wouldn't surprise me...)