Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle

Had a conversation with the DM line today about how to use regional upgrades. Here's the summary of what we discussed:
  • RUs have a higher priority than complimentary upgrades.
  • Regional upgrades are on a separate upgrade list than complimentary ones.
  • A DM on the RU standby upgrade list has a higher priority than a PM, regardless of fare paid, etc.
  • You can call to use an RU up to an hour before departure. Recommendation is to call at least 90 minutes before.
  • You only burn an RU if you get a seat in FC.
  • You could wait until DL processes the complimentary upgrade list at your window to see if you got a seat. If not, you could use an RU.
  • If you call to use an RU after the upgrade window, you should ask the agent to take you off the complimentary upgrade list so the computer doesn't put you in the wrong priority for an upgrade.

I'm thinking that the RUs are a good plan B if you don't get an early upgrade on Medallion heavy routes. This is especially true when FCM is in play and DL is waiting until 48 hours or so before departure to do upgrades.

Considering how DL manages FCM on transcon routes and other heavy Medallion ones, you're not going to find RU cert seats when you buy a ticket. The standby list will most likely be in play with DMs trumping PMs with higher priority and more RUs to burn.

If anyone knows how the RU standby list prioritizes upgrades in greater detail like time of request or other tie-breakers, please post.
golfr and MarkP24 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Let the games begin. The last bullet is inconsistent with how the former SWU program worked. I've had complimentary clear where wait list was still wait listed. Sounds stupid, I know, but CSR told me there are two different lists until it goes to t-24
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I'm currently waitlisted (for a week now) using my first RUC for tomorrow, LAX-ATL, EF shows availability, but dl.com is selling FC for tomorrow with <24h for only $252 more than Y... It will be interesting how this goes. Also UG list is not showing on website after check in. Hmmm
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, the big questions not addressed in the OP are how RUC-using DMs and RUC-using PMs are ordered within each status level. Does the priority depend first on status, then fare class, then Reserve card, then time of request? Or is it something different, such as DMs being listed by time of request (only) then PMs by time of request? If the latter, it might be better strategically to apply the RUC early rather than waiting for the window or airport control, when it looks like one will not get a free elite upgrade.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM United MM, Marriott P for life
Another question is where do SWUs fit into the priority list. I've been able to use a SWU about 40 minutes prior to departure. I wonder if RUs will work that way too or will 1 hour be a hard number.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I guess we're going to need the new codes for GUC and RUC vs SWU. DL couldn't even get the SWU right often and now we have two types of certs.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm still wondering how these are different from the NAMUs of a decade ago (anyone remember them?), except for being more useless because you can't use them on transcons.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
OP - for clarity, RU is the bucket for Medallion complimentary upgrades. RP is for certs.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I assume these are going to require to be coded the same or similar to SWUs... meaning jump through hoops to get the proper priority.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Okay, so my question is regarding the coding of RUCs for companions. If I want to use a RUC for my companion but not me (betting that I'll receive a complimentary upgrade), is this even possible?

My understanding is that splitting PNRs probably won't work due to some of the wording regarding the use of these certs, but if my companion is listed for a GUC upgrade, does my priority move back up to the PM window priority?

Last edited by timmy83; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:49 am Reason: Clarified... looking for information on RUC
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I'm currently waitlisted (for a week now) using my first RUC for tomorrow, LAX-ATL, EF shows availability, but dl.com is selling FC for tomorrow with <24h for only $252 more than Y... It will be interesting how this goes. Also UG list is not showing on website after check in. Hmmm
Update - I cleared the comp UG at t-1h when checking my bag and the RUC was not pulled! they even pulled one lucky guy from the back for the final seat..it was the 777-200 hoping for the same on return Friday.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:41 am

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am new to PM. Called the reservation line yesterday for an ATL to LAS flight tomorrow and she said they were out of regional upgrade inventory for this flight. It is 50/50 that I will get the complementary at the gate. Is she correct that the regional upgrades are limited per flight?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Update - I cleared the comp UG at t-1h when checking my bag and the RUC was not pulled! they even pulled one lucky guy from the back for the final seat..it was the 777-200 hoping for the same on return Friday.
If your cert wasn't used/closed, then it most likely means the cert wasn't coded properly and you cleared based on your medallion status.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaw753
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am new to PM. Called the reservation line yesterday for an ATL to LAS flight tomorrow and she said they were out of regional upgrade inventory for this flight. It is 50/50 that I will get the complementary at the gate. Is she correct that the regional upgrades are limited per flight?
Yes, upgrade inventory is (very) limited on many flights. Supposedly using a upgrade cert will give you higher priority above the comp medallion upgrades at the gate, however that also relies on an agent coding it properly so the system sees you are using a cert and goes by that and not your normal status.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:55 am

Sorry if I was not clear. The reservation agent would not even let me apply the certificate even though there are 8 FC seats open. She said only a certain number of certs can be applied per flight and I should have called earlier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.