Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:18 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
These days, if it's important to me, I don't leave it to chance.
Oh there is zero chance we are paying cash for these first class seats, which is why I'm curious what the upgrade options/thoughts are.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Gold
I would definitely not use a GUC for this route, unless you have no other plans to use them before they expire. You'll see offers to upgrade to first in the app or website after you purchase your tickets regardless of it being in coach or comfort. I'd probably wait until a couple weeks before and if it's not looking likely for a complimentary upgrade and first class is really important to you then i'd go the ruc/guc route.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:36 pm

Question

Originally Posted by seageg91
I would definitely not use a GUC for this route, unless you have no other plans to use them before they expire. You'll see offers to upgrade to first in the app or website after you purchase your tickets regardless of it being in coach or comfort. I'd probably wait until a couple weeks before and if it's not looking likely for a complimentary upgrade and first class is really important to you then i'd go the ruc/guc route.
thanks! any idea what the price range is on the paid upgrades?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Gold
Sorry it's almost impossible to guess, it's highly variable. but maybe someone that has flown it recently might be able to chime in. Typically they start out as really bad deals and what i've seen recently is a cash price and the mileage option is just the cash price value at 1 cpm.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

thanks! i currently have a C+ seat gambling on an upgrade with 22 open D1 seats less than a month out and I haven't seen any ads yet. I'll keep an eye out.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by califlyer8
Oh there is zero chance we are paying cash for these first class seats, which is why I'm curious what the upgrade options/thoughts are.
Not leaving it to chance doesn't necessarily mean paying for them.

You can always wait and see if there are upgrade offers, and use the RUCs/GUCs if you need to.

Or you can fly in C+.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Not leaving it to chance doesn't necessarily mean paying for them.

You can always wait and see if there are upgrade offers, and use the RUCs/GUCs if you need to.

Or you can fly in C+.
Where do upgrade offers show up? When people say, "in the app", where?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
They'll show up when you look at the reservation, if available.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
You can also look at the seat selection on the app and if there is an option to pay for a C+ or D1 with cash or miles it will give you the option. I just booked a trip for my husband and I and used a combo of RUC, money, and miles to upgrade. It would have been super simple if you could apply RUC online or via that app!
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Well I am a (earned) PM (Platinum + Plastic) and my husband and I are currently #10 & 11 of 21 on the UG list from TUL - ATL and then #5 & 6 of 7 from ATL - YYZ tomorrow. So I'm going to go ahead and file this one under "did not get UG." I normally either just purchase 1st or use RUC but decided to roll the dice this time. Hopefully they don't screw us with a last minute equipment switch: as a PM I was able to book "preferred" seats for free. We are on a 712 in the two seat side of the exit row for the first leg then a 321 in the exit row that only has two seats in the row for the second leg. So not bad seats for economy + no one sitting in a row with us. At least I can finally use the 12 drink coupons I have in my wallet!
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by ostatekitty; Aug 25, 2022 at 12:03 pm Reason: punctuation!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM
I spent some time reading https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades and I can't seem to find information... How do complimentary upgrades work for a Delta DM, flying on a Delta operated but KLM marketed flight?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by doudou91
I spent some time reading https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades and I can't seem to find information... How do complimentary upgrades work for a Delta DM, flying on a Delta operated but KLM marketed flight?
My understanding is that you won't be upgraded before T-24, but then I think your DM priority applies for C+ and FC. You need to make sure that your DL FF number is on the PNR. Don't open it when logged into your FB account in the KLM website or app, ever, because you don't want a FB number to stick.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that you won't be upgraded before T-24, but then I think your DM priority applies for C+ and FC. You need to make sure that your DL FF number is on the PNR. Don't open it when logged into your FB account in the KLM website or app, ever, because you don't want a FB number to stick.
Damn yes that's what I remembered.. Nothing on the website about that...

Yup, learnt the lesson about the FF number... That being said, one nice thing I've learnt over the years: Garuda's website is great to open any SkyTeam reservations (at least AF/KL/DL) and remove or swap FF numbers.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It used to be noted on website, but may have been lost along the way in various website updates.

esledo likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:49 am

I am looking to get Plat status this year. I fly into and out of ATL. Can I expect pretty regular comfort + upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.