Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak

Open Clubs:

See Delta Sky Club News & Updates for the latest up to date changes. Clubs Permanently Closed:
  • LAX T3 (T3 has been demolished)
  • SCL (re-branding as a LATAM Lounge)
  • SEA: S
Future Clubs: List of Future Delta Sky Clubs & Updates

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Historically, DTW was always a larger hub for Asian connections, and those travelers tend to hold higher standards than many others. This is why it's not uncommon to see upgraded food offerings in clubs across the country during the times those clubs are hosting flights to Asia or hosting travelers from Asian airlines.

In ATL, there always had been upgraded food offerings, but they were usually limited to the F and maybe E Concourse clubs as this is where the international flights operated from primarily.

As to why ATL is now lagging behind the others, I'm not really sure. My guess is it has to do with lack of support from the contractor (Sodexo?) but I'm not really sure.
Yep. Definitely thinking Sodexo is to blame for what's where.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by dcadwell
it really isn't in Delta's control anyway. Sodexo runs the clubs, so just a matter of what they choose to put in place.
lol come on
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
As to why ATL is now lagging behind the others, I'm not really sure. My guess is it has to do with lack of support from the contractor (Sodexo?) but I'm not really sure.
It's intentional. ATL is the biggest hub-captive advantage DL has, so why not save some money on the catering?
It also seems like the head chef of ATL SkyClub food must be a vegetarian, because I rarely see more than one offering with non-plant protein available. I have even seen a choice of two pre-made slider/sandwiches and neither had meat. One had egg and one did not.
Yes, E and F sometimes is a little better than the other clubs and is worth the time to visit if you have the time. If you are getting dropped off at ATL airport, check in at international, clear security there and head right up the escalator to the F club. Still, if you get a pan of seasoned shredded chicken and 1 of 2 soups with meat (pre-pandemic when we could serve ourselves), you were doing great.

If you are about to sit completely still, strapped to a seat for hours, you need protein, not processed carbs prior to the flight. But you wouldn't know it from the ATL catering.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:00 pm

The food offerings, in my experience, have always been lesser in ATL. For whatever reason.

LAX had the taco bar, DTW had the meatballs, etc. The T Club in ATL always seemed to have a different selection of food from the other clubs before all of this happened, but it really isn't in Delta's control anyway. Sodexo runs the clubs, so just a matter of what they choose to put in place.

Now, it could be (likely is) a cost factor as ATL has so many clubs that the company needs to cater...
Does LAX have premium bar offerings again? Despite the handle, I have not flown into or out of LAX since March 2020.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Per DL app, BOS A18 is (possibly?) reopened as it no longer says temp closed. Flying this week so we'll see!
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by JFKLAX321
Does LAX have premium bar offerings again? Despite the handle, I have not flown into or out of LAX since March 2020.
Can't speak to it as I haven't been through LAX in a while, either.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:21 am

Can't speak to it as I haven't been through LAX in a while, either.
Thanks. I'll know in a few hours and will update.
dcadwell likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by David7
Dom Pérignon is no longer available. It’s still on the menu but no new shipments are coming in for the time being. SkyClubs at ATL, SLC and even smaller ones like PDX confirmed this. Hope to see it back soon, it was probably the best use of 10.000 miles.
It is a riot-- I was at DCA a couple weeks ago, they were also out of Dom. The staff member told me for the last year they have had a bottle of Cristal in the refrigerator-- she showed it to me-- but she said since it is no longer on the menu, they no longer have a way to sell it--i.e. ring it up for sale-- so the staff just lets it age in place in the refrigerator as unused inventory. How ridiculous.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by JFKLAX321
Thanks. I'll know in a few hours and will update.
I'll be curious to see what is happening at the LAX Sky Club. The last few months they have been serving food as take out only with no alcohol claiming that LA County health rules preclude consuming food in the club and that everyone must eat out on the concourse. I've been trying to figure out the real story-- i.e. whether DL just does not want to meet whatever ridiculous standard the local government has created and is therefore blaming the local government for keeping the club closed. I can't imagine how it is impossible for people to use the club when restaurants and other facilities are open at the airport. I think the United Club is fully open for business. Or am I wrong about the United Club? In any case, I simply fled California for the last seven months to escape the draconian COVID-19 standards the state and local governments created and will not be returning until July after they have lifted many of the restrictions.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX club has allowed food to be eaten in club and has served alcohol for awhile now as far as I'm aware (I believe since last Fall). I went through it on March 13th and this was case back then.
NYC Flyer and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 8, 2021 at 12:06 pm
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
random thought: the DEN skyclub is slowly playing its way in to the #1 slot as my favorite skyclub in the US system. I am in 2-3 clubs a week and this one is sooooo good. Rarely crowded, self serve bar, good food options, good seating options, pleasant staff.

The ONLY knock is that its a little off the beaten path. But its a great club.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
random thought: the DEN skyclub is slowly playing its way in to the #1 slot as my favorite skyclub in the US system. I am in 2-3 clubs a week and this one is sooooo good. Rarely crowded, self serve bar, good food options, good seating options, pleasant staff.

The ONLY knock is that its a little off the beaten path. But its a great club.
I'm surprised that you think they have great food. In my opinion there is definitely not a lot to chose from compared to some other clubs and would for example rather hang out in the centurion lounge in Denver than the skyclub
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
It's intentional. ATL is the biggest hub-captive advantage DL has, so why not save some money on the catering?
I mean that's my personal opinion as for why ATL is lagging LAX, SLC, MSP, others. It's ATL, if you're there you probably have to be. That and maybe it's easier to turn the light switches fully back on at smaller stations rather than where they have like 7-8 clubs? Also I feel like if you rolled out the real food like we're seeing at the other clubs at ATL, it'd be a mad feeding frenzy to whatever club had the real food.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dfwams
Will I be able to access the Skyclub with an AMEX platinum with a same day international ticket from another airport (also STE+)? Basically flying a cheap united ticket to ATL where I have a same day TATL flight on Delta and just wondering whether I have access already from the start airport.
AMEX simply requires a same day DL flight, doesn't need be from that city.

STE+ requires a ST international flight that day, and must have a ST flight later that day, even if not from airport you're at; i.e.
1)fly AMS-ATL on KLM, then UA to IAH, no more flights, no access at ATL as you have no more onward ST same day flights.
2) Fly AMS-LAX on KLM, then AA to SEA and finally DL SEA-HNL, you get access at LAX since you still have an onward same day ST flight.
dfwams likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dfwams
I'm surprised that you think they have great food. In my opinion there is definitely not a lot to chose from compared to some other clubs and would for example rather hang out in the centurion lounge in Denver than the skyclub
I guess I am thinking "great food" given Covid. They had three hot sandwich choices and a lot of variety in the snacks offered. I fully admit my standards have plummeted i the last 18 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.