Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:59 pm

Any conjecture on whether/when flights in/out of ICN might be affected?
olegator likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Looks like ICN is now covered by the Coronavirus waiver:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...irus-situation
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Looks like ICN is now covered by the Coronavirus waiver:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...irus-situation
Wondering when those flights will get suspended, along with those to Japan and Europe.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
26th feb leg of the xxx-SEA-ICN-HKG-xxx of my dad`s flight was just canceled. ICN - HKG leg.

Update - Diamond desk rebooked him trough NRT.

Last edited by olegator; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:32 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
Wondering when those flights will get suspended, along with those to Japan and Europe.
Probably not until there is some sort of ban on entry to the US by nationals of those countries, or a quarantine on returning Americans imposed. It’s not the virus that caused the China flights to be canceled, but the lack of demand because of the restrictions.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Probably not until there is some sort of ban on entry to the US by nationals of those countries, or a quarantine on returning Americans imposed. It’s not the virus that caused the China flights to be canceled, but the lack of demand because of the restrictions.
By the time they impose a ban or quarantine it might be too late. But, business is business!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A verified Reuters reporter is reporting on Twitter that a KE FA tested positive. No further details provided about the route in question (domestic or international).

I imagine DL TPAC revenue is about to fall off a cliff (UA has already suspended full year guidance)
ab2013 and arunhn like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
A verified Reuters reporter is reporting on Twitter that a KE FA tested positive. No further details provided about the route in question (domestic or international).

https://twitter.com/rover829/status/...859943424?s=21

I imagine DL TPAC revenue is about to fall off a cliff (UA has already suspended full year guidance)
Who knows how badly TATL will get impacted? The number of cases in Italy is surging - it might spread to the rest of Europe, given how the virus seems capable of asymptomatic transmission and seems to stay dormant for a couple of weeks before turning virulent.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Most dangerous is the heavy death toll in Iran, which means that there is - and has been for a good month+ - a very high (higher than anywhere outside of China) number of infected patients there, either covered up (until it became too big to hide - sound familiar?) or woefully un-diagnosed (likely a combination of both). And Iran, while not that well connected to the US, is connected to EU, Canada, etc. closely, and that could become just the tipping point and the vector from which this becomes a global pandemic, as the disclosure of the problem - a very serious problem - from there came just a few days ago, and again the heavy death toll (highest, by far, anywhere outside of China) is a clear indication of the gravity of the situation there. The directly adjacent countries and some others have already closed their borders to Iran (as have several countries also to Korea and Japan).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ab2013
Who knows how badly TATL will get impacted? The number of cases in Italy is surging - it might spread to the rest of Europe, given how the virus seems capable of asymptomatic transmission and seems to stay dormant for a couple of weeks before turning virulent.
She Who Must Be Obeyed and I had originally planned a trip to VCE for March or April but never got as far as booking flights (things came up). Now I see the Carnival has been canceled -- we were going after that but it was a "Whoa" moment.

This time of year I am usually booking my spring and early summer flights -- at this point I am waiting to see what happens. This may be the year I fall back on my "Lifetime" GM
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd hope Delta would give those of us based in China (or even all of Asia) some help in hitting our medallion targets this year. I was on pace for a record year up until Chinese New Year but I haven't been on a Skyteam flight in over a month now.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
A330 to A359 isn’t an upgrade for those in C+ unless they bump up to PS.

Though I did notice this starting to pop up. In the process of booking a flight to DXB for an April work trip and when looking at options, I noticed many more TATL on 777/A359 than is typical.

Looks like they turned the late night DTWAMS into the A359 plus MSPAMS which I don’t recall being the A359 in the past.
Anyone had luck calling and asking for PS upgrade? Going to try later today.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:42 am

Coronaviruses pretty much always burn out in the summer. Most likely, there’s one or two more months of this, then the disease will go away. Only question is whether it will come back next winter, and if there will be a vaccine in clinical trials by then.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Just had DL cancel an award booking on China Airlines (SGN-TPE-ICN) for me and waive the $150 redeposit fee. Their recent ICN waiver didn't mention award tickets specifically, but happy to have the fee waived.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like DL is following the CDC advisories... for a Level 3 (avoid nonessential travel) location, DL has waivers.

Currently Italy and Japan are Level 2 (enhanced precautions), however my guess is that Italy will go to a Level 3 unless they put in measures to halt spread immediately.
My company is enforcing a 14 day work remote policy for those who were recently in Italy or Japan (or any Level 3 country)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.