Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Air France has cancelled all flights to and from mainland China until February 9. Flights to and from WUH are cancelled until February 29.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Delta suspending all flights to China until April 30, per a Reuters aviation reporter

Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
Delta suspending all flights to China until April 30, per a Reuters aviation reporter

https://twitter.com/davidshepardson/...63460622053384
Here is the info on their site. Good news for me since I had PVG-DTW booked at the end of March, returning from a cruise that I was planning to cancel. Now I just need Singapore Air to agree to let me cancel my outgoing flight to Singapore (I had two cruises booked, one Singapore-Hong Kong, the other Hong Kong-Shanghai. The cruise line (Celebrity) has not announced changes for my sailings but the odds are slim that we were going to visit China and would be rerouted.

https://news.delta.com/delta-tempora...s-china-flying
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
The move to Daxing has been delayed!
rufflesinc and ryw like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by patbmayer
The agent did say they'd be able to refund the miles with no fee, but I'll try the ole HUCA tomorrow & see if I can get any better luck in quite the dynamic situation. (Also you caught it, but meant to say I booked in O, not J...) Thanks!
This situation just got alot more dynamic! It could take days before they come around, but I'd keep trying. If nothing else you might get a more helpful agent just by luck (that has worked for me before with AA).
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
With the suspension of all China flights, this would represent a number of planes suddenly with nothing to do. Will they be redeployed to TATL routes to allow for perhaps an accelerated refit of some of the 763/764 fleet, or be used as spares for ongoing TPAC operations?
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:25 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whooperatw
With the suspension of all China flights, this would represent a number of planes suddenly with nothing to do. Will they be redeployed to TATL routes to allow for perhaps an accelerated refit of some of the 763/764 fleet, or be used as spares for ongoing TPAC operations?
I may be wrong, but I think some of the refit work is done in China, which presumably is also closed for the near future.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Well all the refits are happening at CAN. Would assume they are seeing an impact on worker availability due to the quarantines. Otherwise that would be an obvious answer.

I assume they'll accelerate any frames scheduled for C checks in the next few months (don't think any of the A359s flying to Asia have been around long enough for a D check) or they'll accelerate D checks of other frames in the fleet (767/A330) and use the A359s to cover the slack.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TTT
I may be wrong, but I think some of the refit work is done in China, which presumably is also closed for the near future.
If the case, there certainly won't be any refit working getting done faster.

Hopefully some of these birds are put to work in NA or on other long hauls versus just parking for months on end. Be nice for the domestic road warriors to have the chance to enjoy some of these newer aircraft.
gooselee and ryw like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pmiranda
This situation just got alot more dynamic! It could take days before they come around, but I'd keep trying. If nothing else you might get a more helpful agent just by luck (that has worked for me before with AA).
Third time's the charm - successfully rebooked onto DPS->SYD->LAX->SEA on VA/DL/DL metal.

FYI for anyone else in the same boat, three separate agents stated some partners are "locking out open award space" given the uncertain situation. Even though the website showed open seats on Garuda or Korean flights they weren't able to force the award booking like they normally could.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by sleuth; Sep 3, 2020 at 2:06 am
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If the case, there certainly won't be any refit working getting done faster.

Hopefully some of these birds are put to work in NA or on other long hauls versus just parking for months on end. Be nice for the domestic road warriors to have the chance to enjoy some of these newer aircraft.
I doubt the economics work out at all, but it would be a nice treat to get some more content for this thread: Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread

Though even if they do it, I assume it'll be the 3-4 hr flights and not the 500-mile hops I'm always on....I can certainly dream about having a flat bed to play with on ATL-STL or something.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unfortunately there's not a lot of travel around this period, until spring break starts. A few folks might travel for V day or for the long Presidents' Day holiday weekend, but they're unlikely to go very far.

With airline stocks diving today, DL might be more cost-focused than ever.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by koreanair720

https://twitter.com/davidshepardson/...63460622053384
Just spent several hours trying to get Mrs. SHIB on an earlier return flight from China.

They are already cancelling flights out of China prior to 2/6. Remaining flights are selling out.

No guarantees that other flights will not be cancelled, and they are not guaranteeing that they won't strand US citizens with Delta tickets in China for the next two months if they cancel additional flights.

Ended up having to replace an award ticket with purchased ticket, since only remaining options involved leaving China on a partner airline.

If you believing the cancellations prior to 2/6 are due to health and safety concerns, I'll send you a prospectus for a bridge purchase.

This has to be based upon a desire to minimize the cost of flying plans westward empty... at the risk of customer-be-damned.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:19 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just spent several hours trying to get Mrs. SHIB on an earlier return flight from China.

They are already cancelling flights out of China prior to 2/6. Remaining flights are selling out.

No guarantees that other flights will not be cancelled, and they are not guaranteeing that they won't strand US citizens with Delta tickets in China for the next two months if they cancel additional flights.

Ended up having to replace an award ticket with purchased ticket, since only remaining options involved leaving China on a partner airline.

If you believing the cancellations prior to 2/6 are due to health and safety concerns, I'll send you a prospectus for a bridge purchase.

This has to be based upon a desire to minimize the cost of flying plans westward empty... at the risk of customer-be-damned.
I'm not really sure what one would expect Delta to do in this situation. They have crew health and safety to consider, they have economic realities to consider, they have the level 4 travel advisory to consider, and now they have the mandatory screening/quarantine for US citizens and the entry refusal of most non-US citizens who have bene to China to consider.

Delta has invested a lot in China and I'm sure they didn't make any of these cancelation decisions lightly.
jdrtravel likes this.

Last edited by TTT; Jan 31, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.