Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
On the other hand, it was probably what...10:30 or 11 by the time the dessert cart came around?
As best I remember, it was 9:30ish.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Has anybody seen the JFK-LHR business class menu this month? Curious as to what's on it for a trip in a few weeks

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
bubbashow reported in another thread that complimentary Y meals will return to domestic long haul Hawaii routes (JFK/ATL/MSP-HNL). I updated the wiki to reflect this. It should be updated again once we have reports of this meal service (i.e., is it like standard international coach meals, or free BOB style, or something else?).

(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-haul-hnl.html)
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
SLC-DFW, Compass E175, Lunch

Turkey sandwich with some sort of cheese, on ciabatta, served hot.

For some reason the cheese had some onions mixed in. Quick scraping made the sandwich quite edible, although the turkey was a little funky, and dried out around the edges. Fruit was fresh, chips and cookie were good.

TBH, I prefer a sandwich (even a lackluster one) over some of the odd dishes I've been seeing on 900-1399 mile meal flights lately.

Wanted to suggest some edits to the wiki as well:

-I've taken four 900 mile and four 1400 mile meal flights in the last few months. None of the 900 mile flights had snack baskets in FC, and only two of the 1400 mile flights did (JFK-SEA, and back). It appears, at least IME, that DL has eliminated the snack basket in FC for flights in which a meal is catered. Anyone else seeing what I've experienced? I used to always see the snack basket on FC meal flights.

-Related to this post, the Compass E175 I was on had an oven, and was able to heat the served turkey sandwiches. May want to add that to the RJ meal section. Based on the condition of the sandwich, I believe that it was in fact an oven, not the warmers that have been reported on some CRJ-900s.
Attached Images  

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 6, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:55 pm

Mini Vinaigrette Bottles

Does anybody know a contact person in purchasing from Sky Chefs?
I would like to purchase these Mini Vinaigrette Dressing Bottles!
Or what company makes them?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
E175 (Shuttle America, my least favorite connection carrier)
Dinner

PDB....nope (despite being on time and arriving 30 mins early)

Choice of: Asian chicken soba noodle salad which came with a lime wedge, a packet of siracha sauce and a small side of peanuts (plus the usual brownie)

Or Pastrami Sandwich.

Pass throughs in the cabin were infrequent with the FC FA just sitting in the jumpseat on his iPad for literally the last 40 minutes of flight. Ran out of wine in FC....just a pathetic FC FA overall.

Just going to stick with AA for these weekly Chicago trips....tried to give DL a shot.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD
E175 (Shuttle America, my least favorite connection carrier)
Dinner

PDB....nope (despite being on time and arriving 30 mins early)

Choice of: Asian chicken soba noodle salad which came with a lime wedge, a packet of siracha sauce and a small side of peanuts (plus the usual brownie)

Or Pastrami Sandwich.

Pass throughs in the cabin were infrequent with the FC FA just sitting in the jumpseat on his iPad for literally the last 40 minutes of flight. Ran out of wine in FC....just a pathetic FC FA overall.

Just going to stick with AA for these weekly Chicago trips....tried to give DL a shot.
Unfortunately those regional crews can be hit or miss.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Unfortunately those regional crews can be hit or miss.
I've typically had positive experiences with Republic with a single exception. Haven't been on Shuttle America though so can't comment, and based on this report I won't be planning to break that streak anytime soon.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Catering Situation out of JAC? I'm on the flight to ATL and I know that American doesn't have catering here so its continental breakfast only in F. I assume its the same for DL?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan basic
Hi all. Star Alliance orphan trying out Delta and First time flying D1 from DTW-NRT 2 weeks from now. Does anyone know if there will be a menu change at all from July? I saw a few posts up someone posted the D1 menu for that route and the Japanese special meal. I'm seated in 1k and wondering if I'll be the last to be served if I should order the special meal or expect to get stuck with the unwanted meals?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Catering Situation out of JAC? I'm on the flight to ATL and I know that American doesn't have catering here so its continental breakfast only in F. I assume its the same for DL?
If AA doesn't have catering, DL probably doesn't either. Expect double catering, which means the food on flights leaving JAC might be a little funky. Double catering usually is IME.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
SLC-DFW, Compass E175, Lunch

Turkey sandwich with some sort of cheese, on ciabatta, served hot.

For some reason the cheese had some onions mixed in. Quick scraping made the sandwich quite edible, although the turkey was a little funky, and dried out around the edges. Fruit was fresh, chips and cookie were good.

TBH, I prefer a sandwich (even a lackluster one) over some of the odd dishes I've been seeing on 900-1399 mile meal flights lately.

Wanted to suggest some edits to the wiki as well:

-I've taken four 900 mile and four 1400 mile meal flights in the last few months. None of the 900 mile flights had snack baskets in FC, and only two of the 1400 mile flights did (JFK-SEA, and back). It appears, at least IME, that DL has eliminated the snack basket in FC for flights in which a meal is catered. Anyone else seeing what I've experienced? I used to always see the snack basket on FC meal flights.

-Related to this post, the Compass E175 I was on had an oven, and was able to heat the served turkey sandwiches. May want to add that to the RJ meal section. Based on the condition of the sandwich, I believe that it was in fact an oven, not the warmers that have been reported on some CRJ-900s.
A thread for all regional carrier routes with HOT food would be nice.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gquie
Hi all. Star Alliance orphan trying out Delta and First time flying D1 from DTW-NRT 2 weeks from now. Does anyone know if there will be a menu change at all from July? I saw a few posts up someone posted the D1 menu for that route and the Japanese special meal. I'm seated in 1k and wondering if I'll be the last to be served if I should order the special meal or expect to get stuck with the unwanted meals?
Not to directly post about the wrong month, but...

DTW-NRT, B747-400, Seat 78K
28JUL16

Thankfully, this trip saw me on the 747 in J twice; probably two of my last flights on this beautiful aircraft in DL colors. Great seat and crew. UD on DL is awesome on its own, with just 14 seats, two lavs, and two flight attendants. Easily the best product in the fleet. Got the Japanese meal which is catered by a Novi, MI establishment, Oishi Japanese Restaurant. All the food was wonderful, with just the fried rice pre-arrival meal being meh, but very still edible.

Settling In: Farro Guacamole in Wonton Cups with pita chips, carrots, jicama, and cucumbers.

Zensai: Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp with Edamame and Pine Nut Pesto, Cauliflower with Seaweed and Green Tea Dipping, Kelp Roll with Herring Roe, Smoked Salmon Roll and Jelly with Summer Vegetables

Aemono: Octopus Salad

Nimono: Carrots, Edamame, and Lotus Root

Shusai: Salmon Kuwayaki with artichokes, shiitake musrooms, and snow peas served with steamed rice, Japanese pickles, and miso soup

Dessert: Cheesecake Tart with Fresh Fruit and Whipped Cream

Mid-Flight Snack: Cold Soba Noodles, green onions, and wasabi

Almost There: (served with seasonal fresh fruit and assorted breads) Fried Rice with Shrimp

Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
NRT-KIX, B757-200 (75A), Seat 1C
29JUL16

I asked about service on this flight earlier, then reported back when I didn't hear anything, after I flew. Here are the pics of the refurbed (though gutted the overhead IFE, though now with working sat-based GoGo, still no power) 75A as well as the service.

Weird service on this short-haul interport flight. Champagne, OJ, or Mimosa and hot towel on the ground. Domestic red blankets and small pillows at seats, then pretzels and full beverage service in the air. I think the PDB choice, real glass, and full beverage selection in flight, though, make this service more extensive than J on similar routes aboard Japanese carriers.

"Champagne" PDB

Woodford and Ginger + Pretzels
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
7/31 DTW -> PVG in D1 (Upper deck).

Orders were taken front to back. PJs were handed out. I had pre-ordered the Chinese meal.

Menu was "Summer 2016", labelled BE-DTW-PVG 07/16:
Name:  menu1a.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  755.2 KB
Name:  menu2a.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  768.0 KB
Name:  menu3a.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  806.6 KB
Name:  menu6a.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  450.5 KB

Settling in: Farro Guacamole in Wonton cups. some pita bread, vegetables (Seemed odd to get this with the CNML, but was good):
Name:  01preapp.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  501.4 KB

Chinese tasting plate. Had shrimp, chicken, fish balls.. Didn't think I'd like it, but was actually quite good! The soup was NOT served, despite the menu implying it would be. I wasn't too hungry or I would have asked for it. (Bread was also not served to me, but was to everyone else. I *did* ask for some bread)
Name:  02appetizer.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  444.5 KB

Main Course: Shrimp and Fish in XO sauce, with steamed rice and vegetables. Again, I wasn't expecting to like this. But I did! Got some good chopstick practice.
Name:  03main.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  356.5 KB

Everything else after this seemed to be standard service. Dessert. The sparkling Rosι was phenomenal:
Name:  04dessert.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  402.3 KB

Mid-flight snack / Antipasto plate:
Name:  05midflight.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  459.7 KB

Almost there. I got the Chicken in sweet black bean sauce with rice and vegetables. Was very good, and hit the spot!
Name:  06almost_there_chicken.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  339.2 KB

I guess I'll leave my CNML in place for now on my return flight... we'll see how it goes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.