Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
PVG-DTW, B747-400, Seat 6E
1AUG16

Flight was pretty good, with excellent crew. Food was about what I expected after all the horror stories of ex-Mainland China catering. It was all edible, but nothing was really great, save for the poorly presenting mid-flight dim sum or the Shanghai fried noodles.

Never sat in one of the "E" seats before, and I thought it might be interesting, hence 6E. Yeah, if I happen to be on a 747 again, it won't be in 6E. No air vents, no thank you. Also no bins. It was kind of isolated in a way and an interesting perspective, looking forward and out the windows, but all the seats are plenty private, and the view isn't worth it to me. First time getting the PJs as well. They're pretty comfy and light and I even snagged an extra pair for a buddy of mine who wanted them. The only issue is they try to do two sizes fits all, so the proportions on most people are kind of wonky, but hey they ain't supposed to be your "Sunday best."

On with the food now...

Settling In: Duck Breast, Black Mushrooms, and Roasted Pumpkin with sesame dressing

Starters: Tomato Caprese Soup (supposedly topped with goat cheese, but this was absent, and didn't even seem to be on the cart as would be usual for soup garnishes) and Mixed Salad with honey roasted turnips, potatoes (nope), and feta cheese--served with yogurt dressing (nope, balsamic vin)

Main Course: Beef Tenderloin with gnocchi gratin (nope, fondant potatoes) and buttered vegetables

Dessert: Lemon Cake with Fresh Raspberries and I also asked for some brie with crackers from the cheese selection

Mid-Flight Snack: Dim Sum--fish roe sui mai, turnip rice cake, jade dumpling, and dim sum chili sauce, served with seasonal fresh fruit and chocolate

Almost There: Shanghai Fried Noodles in Oyster Sauce with chicken, bamboo shoots, and black mushrooms

Came with some kind of julienned carrot and unidentifiable vegetable salad concoction (meh) and a piece of orange cake which was pretty good (neither of these were listed in the menu)

Last edited by sky303; Aug 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by appleguru
7/31 DTW -> PVG in D1 (Upper deck).

...The sparkling Rosé was phenomenal
The Banfi, I assume? It's definitely quite enjoyable, and cheap on the ground too, so I tend to have a bottle at the house.

I guess I'll leave my CNML in place for now on my return flight... we'll see how it goes!
That'd be my advice...see above. The Chinese-ish dishes (duck app, dim sum, and Shanghai noodles) were all pretty good, the Western stuff is where it really fell quite short of my usual experiences.

Also, I guess I was on the plane you came in on. What are the odds, LOL?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
A couple of very nice meals on D1 this past weekend.

Flew SFO-JFK-AGP on Saturday (Sunday EU arrival), upgraded with miles from an M fare. I did not take photos of meals or menus but they were good.

SFO-JFK 11:15am departure, I had the lamb chops with cheesy polenta, verts and salad. The lamb was cooked very nicely, a little bit well done for my usual tastes however it was very tender and juicy. It paired very well with what turned out to be quite a nice pinot noir from Sonoma (can't remember the label/vintage).

JFK-AGP I selected the halibut, which was breaded lightly and served with creamed corn and snow peas. Fish was not dry at all and served at a nice temperature.

I honestly cannot remember what the breakfast options were on the TATL flight, or even what I ate, haha...it was some kind of traditional egg and sausage option, I think.

One interesting thing I ran into was that I requested the "dine and rest" option on the short JFK-AGP flight. The purser apologetically told me that it was unavailable because a family of 5 had already requested it and he was only given 5 "dine and rest" trays by catering. I had no idea that it was a separate tray that was pre-assembled for this option, I thought it was cobbled together in the galley by the FA on request of the passenger. Learned something new, and will be sure to remember this for the future when selecting my seat when flying a short TATL.

In any case, the D1 FAs were very quick with the service once off the ground, and attentive to move me on to the next course in an expedient fashion. I skipped dessert and was tucked into my flat bed within 1 hour and 15 minutes of the time the wheels left the ground at JFK. Managed to get 3 or so hours of decent sleep on the quick crossing...total flight time was 6 hours and 28 minutes.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sky303
The Banfi, I assume? It's definitely quite enjoyable, and cheap on the ground too, so I tend to have a bottle at the house.

That'd be my advice...see above. The Chinese-ish dishes (duck app, dim sum, and Shanghai noodles) were all pretty good, the Western stuff is where it really fell quite short of my usual experiences.

Also, I guess I was on the plane you came in on. What are the odds, LOL?
Any chance you recall what the Chinese selection meal was ex PVG?

Flying back on Friday via HKG.

RE same flight, didn't you just post that you flew over via NRT?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:01 am

Flying back on Friday via HKG.

RE same flight, didn't you just post that you flew over via NRT?
I did, but I left PVG the day you arrived, same plane not same flight. Menu for the CNML in a post below.

Last edited by sky303; Aug 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Unfortunately those regional crews can be hit or miss.
Exactly. I have had great service on LGA-ORD, and have had abysmal service.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
One interesting thing I ran into was that I requested the "dine and rest" option on the short JFK-AGP flight. The purser apologetically told me that it was unavailable because a family of 5 had already requested it and he was only given 5 "dine and rest" trays by catering. I had no idea that it was a separate tray that was pre-assembled for this option, I thought it was cobbled together in the galley by the FA on request of the passenger. Learned something new, and will be sure to remember this for the future when selecting my seat when flying a short TATL.
This sounds very odd to me. I have had the dine and rest service many times, and I didn't recall any special dishes/set-up etc. I'd think FAs could easily put something together. But maybe I hadn't paid enough attention and could be mistaken.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:55 am

Just found the menu...here's the CNML, which came with the same appetizer as the other meals:

Starters: Fried Tilapia with carrot can cucumber julienne and five spice sauce, Chinese Pickles with pickled mustard greens, and Tomato Caprese Soup (supposedly topped with goat cheese, but this was not present--one of several things that didn't quite match the menu)

Main Course: Gu Lao Pork with fried rice and mixed vegetables

Last edited by sky303; Aug 10, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
This sounds very odd to me. I have had the dine and rest service many times, and I didn't recall any special dishes/set-up etc. I'd think FAs could easily put something together. But maybe I hadn't paid enough attention and could be mistaken.
It's true there are only so many dine and rest options and if they run out FA's are told not to try and make their own version by rearranging things on the tray.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan basic
Not to directly post about the wrong month, but...

DTW-NRT, B747-400, Seat 78K
28JUL16

Thankfully, this trip saw me on the 747 in J twice; probably two of my last flights on this beautiful aircraft in DL colors. Great seat and crew. UD on DL is awesome on its own, with just 14 seats, two lavs, and two flight attendants. Easily the best product in the fleet. Got the Japanese meal which is catered by a Novi, MI establishment, Oishi Japanese Restaurant. All the food was wonderful, with just the fried rice pre-arrival meal being meh, but very still edible.

Settling In: Farro Guacamole in Wonton Cups with pita chips, carrots, jicama, and cucumbers.

Zensai: Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp with Edamame and Pine Nut Pesto, Cauliflower with Seaweed and Green Tea Dipping, Kelp Roll with Herring Roe, Smoked Salmon Roll and Jelly with Summer Vegetables

Aemono: Octopus Salad

Nimono: Carrots, Edamame, and Lotus Root

Shusai: Salmon Kuwayaki with artichokes, shiitake musrooms, and snow peas served with steamed rice, Japanese pickles, and miso soup

Dessert: Cheesecake Tart with Fresh Fruit and Whipped Cream

Mid-Flight Snack: Cold Soba Noodles, green onions, and wasabi

Almost There: (served with seasonal fresh fruit and assorted breads) Fried Rice with Shrimp

Thank you for posting this! The food looked amazing. Did you do a Japanese meal from NRT back to DTW if you flew that route? I've ordered a special meal (Japanese meal) on the NRT-DTW leg. I'm hoping it's just as good.

The midflight snack looked pretty good too. Soba noodles and green onions yum.

If you decide later into the flight that you'd prefer to have the western breakfast or midflight snack is that an option? or do you have to stick with the special meal the whole way through?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gquie
Thank you for posting this! The food looked amazing. Did you do a Japanese meal from NRT back to DTW if you flew that route? I've ordered a special meal (Japanese meal) on the NRT-DTW leg. I'm hoping it's just as good.

The midflight snack looked pretty good too. Soba noodles and green onions yum.

If you decide later into the flight that you'd prefer to have the western breakfast or midflight snack is that an option? or do you have to stick with the special meal the whole way through?
Sure thing, I try my best to post as many D1 flights as I can. The food was indeed quite good, and presented nicely.

I flew back PVG-DTW, so can't comment on that, BUT people (and in my personal experience this is true) say that ex-NRT JPMLs are consistently great.

The soba noodles mid-flight on ATL/JFK/DTW/MSP-NRT flights has always been a favorite of mine since I can recall them serving it. It's light and refreshing and not liable to get messed up being heated and doesn't have many variables. I always look forward to it and even tell FAs to wake me for it, if I'm sleeping.

Indeed, I've never had an issue switching to Western options after the main service. I think the number of non-Western options they cater for the mid-flight and pre-arrival services is independent of the number of JPMLs they cater. In fact, on this flight, the FAs offered me the choice before bringing anything, just like they did for pax who ate the Western meals for the first service.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: DL PM
Just found the menu...here's the CNML, which came with the same appetizer as the other meals:

Starters: Fried Tilapia with carrot can cucumber julienne and five spice sauce, Chinese Pickles with pickled mustard greens, and Tomato Caprese Soup (supposedly topped with goat cheese, but this was not present--one of several things that didn't quite match the menu)

Main Course: Gu Lao Pork with fried rice and mixed vegetables
Thanks! Should be the same from HKG... But will confirm tomorrow.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD
E175 (Shuttle America, my least favorite connection carrier)
Dinner

PDB....nope (despite being on time and arriving 30 mins early)

Choice of: Asian chicken soba noodle salad which came with a lime wedge, a packet of siracha sauce and a small side of peanuts (plus the usual brownie)

Or Pastrami Sandwich.

Pass throughs in the cabin were infrequent with the FC FA just sitting in the jumpseat on his iPad for literally the last 40 minutes of flight. Ran out of wine in FC....just a pathetic FC FA overall.

Just going to stick with AA for these weekly Chicago trips....tried to give DL a shot.
This is the biggest problem with DCI. They are damn inconsistent!

and what is really a shame is out of the worst DCI carriers (G7, S5 and CP), S5 and CP have the best airplanes. (E70/E75.)

I really wish DL would have gone with the E75 for 9E.
Originally Posted by WWads
Unfortunately those regional crews can be hit or miss.
Very true.

If it helps DL is investing heavily into DCI to make them more on par with mainline. 9E is really starting to shape up. Hopefully DL just dumps G7/S5/CP and moves those airplanes to 9E and OO. (won't happen because then they lose the ability to whipsaw labor)
Originally Posted by cmd320
I've typically had positive experiences with Republic with a single exception. Haven't been on Shuttle America though so can't comment, and based on this report I won't be planning to break that streak anytime soon.
The bad news is S5 is going to end up being RP.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
A thread for all regional carrier routes with HOT food would be nice.
DL putting ovens on all the two class RJs so it isn't so hit or miss would be really nice......
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It's true there are only so many dine and rest options and if they run out FA's are told not to try and make their own version by rearranging things on the tray.
If the purser wouldn't have been so awesome and friendly and clearly customer oriented I'd have called BS, so I'm glad this was validated. And in fact the service was so fast (not rushed, just attentive) that it didn't make much of a difference at the end. Seated in 1D, I was done with my meal at about the same time as the dine-and-resters back in row 4.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD-LGA
E175
Lunch

PDB....yea right.

Choice of ham and Swiss sandwich or another (but different from my outbound) Asian chicken salad.

The salad was really good and came with wonton chips and a delicious miso dressing.

FA service didn't start until well after 30 mins after take off due to "turbulence". Cabin check ins were better than my last flight but am still not loving Shuttle America....they are not good representatives of the Delta brand (obviously I know they are not employees like Endeavor but Deltas goal is to make the experience seem the same between mainline and regional).

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.