Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I have flown Delta One quite a bit lately and in general the food hasn't been too bad...however...

Sunday night I flew JFK -> MAN and the food was awful! honestly, I am not too picky on food and this was really really poor. Everything about it was really quite sad.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by appleguru
The FA had photos and descriptions of the two options on her windows mobile device; first time I've seen this.
Assuming this functionality is available to all (mainline?) flight attendants, there's no excuse for the vague yet oft-heard offer of "chicken or pasta?" Perhaps it belongs in the Hall of Rants thread, but some FAs' failure to adequately describe meal options is nevertheless an area for improvement.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MS02113
Assuming this functionality is available to all (mainline?) flight attendants, there's no excuse for the vague yet oft-heard offer of "chicken or pasta?" Perhaps it belongs in the Hall of Rants thread, but some FAs' failure to adequately describe meal options is nevertheless an area for improvement.
And I could do without the attitude some FAs give you when asked such a question.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And I could do without the attitude some FAs give you when asked such a question.
It would be nice to see them move towards having the menus on the screens for domestic F flights. (I think printed menus for D1 are important and make it feel classier.).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It would be nice to see them move towards having the menus on the screens for domestic F flights. (I think printed menus for D1 are important and make it feel classier.).
This would either require some very creative programming or that DL update the AVOD content way more often than they do I imagine.

The "app" on the phone had a LOT more than just the two offerings for this flight on it... Was like a big "current" menu that the FA just zoomed in on the offerings for our flight on.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by appleguru
July 8th, JFK -> LAS in F: Meal options were a chicken dish or penne with tomato sauce.

I got the chicken; FA observed FEBO and started taking orders from the back.

I'd best describe it as "indian style"... had some really good flavors and was served with pita bread and rice.

Attachment 15650
I had the "Chicken Tikka Masala" JFK-SEA this past Sunday. It wasn't served with a salad but with a gelato cup, and the chicken was ironically bland.

On another note, I've finally used the ubiquitous little plastic salt and pepper shakers.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Does anybody know which European cities Blue Smoke is served on in D1 from JFK this summer?

I am flying JFK to PRG nonstop in late August and trying to see if I will get to experience Blue Smoke on board. The only press release I can find about it is from 2015 and Prague is not listed as one of the cities. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Does anybody know which European cities Blue Smoke is served on in D1 from JFK this summer?

I am flying JFK to PRG nonstop in late August and trying to see if I will get to experience Blue Smoke on board. The only press release I can find about it is from 2015 and Prague is not listed as one of the cities. Thanks.
It's "Union Square Events" for the time being (they've been rotating the curator) now and the cities are: AMS, BRU, CDG, DUB, FRA, LHR and ZRH. Otherwise, it's the regular fare. Too bad they don't just do it on all of them. Kind of odd honestly.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sky303
It's "Union Square Events" for the time being (they've been rotating the curator) now and the cities are: AMS, BRU, CDG, DUB, FRA, LHR and ZRH. Otherwise, it's the regular fare. Too bad they don't just do it on all of them. Kind of odd honestly.
Darn. I really wanted to try it out. These are the same cities in the press release from last year, so it doesn't seem like they've expanded it much.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
the cities are: AMS, BRU, CDG, DUB, FRA, LHR and ZRH.
Seems to be the major business centers. Over the last few years DL has done a lot of differentiation on routes in terms of catering.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
This isn't just a DL issue, FA's across the board regardless of airlines does this, not too sure why though, each flight is has a catering card that gives a description of the items catered.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Forgot about this. Maybe I shouldn't have switched my AMS flight to KLM. KLM's seat was better, but the food, just ok.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
What'd you get? I really wanna know how the BBQ Chicken tastes. Can someone elaborate? ...Anyone?
The chicken was pretty good. There was a pretty good kick to the sauce which I appreciated. My particular chicken was still nicely moist and it was seasoned nicely with a run-of-the-mill tasting barbecue rub. The wheatberry risotto was really nicely done--cheesy and comforting, slightly heavy. The carrots--well they're carrots. I liked it overall. A nicely composed dish. But as with most things on a plane, the chicken always runs the risk of being dried out to hell, depending on your crew and their following of the instructions accompanying the meals.
I had that same chicken and I thought it was good.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: AS G75K; Hilton Diamond
A few from the past 2 weeks. JFK-LAX in D1, and DTW-SEA-ANC in F.

Dinner menu JFK-LAX D1

JFK-LAX D1

JFK-LAX Dinner, lamb chops with fennel spice rub and dried cherry vinaigrette, roasted brussels sprouts with pancetta ham, creamy polenta with fontina

Love these southern lemonades!

DTW-SEA Lunch

SEA-ANC Dinner, beef short ribs with rice and broccoli. The meal was so overcooked it was inedible. If you look closely, the broccoli was black and likely seconds from combustion
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
DEN -LAX Dinner

Originally Posted by Kurt
Now that Delta has begun its nonstop service between Los Angeles and Denver, I'm wondering if meals are served on this route. I am booked on the 7:15 p.m. LAX-DEN next week and it shows "refreshments" in F (860 mile flight), but both United and American serve meals (AA has it as an "exception" meal market, presumably to compete with UA). Not a big deal, but I'm hoping DL will want to be competitive despite flying CR9s vs. AA's E170s and UA's mainline service.
Delta Connection #4733
7/14/2016
DEN - LAX
7:26p - 9:02p

Full PDB service on ground. Once in the air, FA came around to ask for our drink selection and if we'd like to have dinner. Choice of Asian chicken wrap or a chicken salad. Opted for the wrap. Luvo meals like what was (or maybe still is) served on a lot of the shorter ex-SEA flights. Wrap was accompanied by the standard celery/carrots and edamame hummus with a Dancing Deer cookie for dessert.

Though very average at best, it was a nice surprise. My flight LAX - DEN on Tuesday (blocked during standard breakfast hours) only had the snack basket so not sure if this is a new add to compete with UA/AA or just a fluke.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.