Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Delta, CDG-BOS, 19JUL16
767-400

Another excellent crew after a super-quick trip to Europe. Food was better this time than coming over. The salad with tomato vin and appetizer were stand-outs, but there wasn't a bad bite there. As usual out of CDG, the bread was excellent, and the Deutz is always an appreciated upgrade from Jacquart.

Settling In: Asian Beef with mango salsa, soya dressing, and micro greens

Starters: Heirloom Tomato Salad with feta cheese and olives, served with tomato vinaigrette

Thai Coconut Soup

Main Course: Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken with tomato souffle, summer vegetable saute, and chicken jus

Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with strawberry sauce, whipped cream, and wafer cookie

White and Milk Chocolate Gnocchi served with dark chocolate mousse sand strawberry

Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Flying DTW -> PVG in D1 at the end of the month. Any idea what the menu will look like? what are the options for a special meal? (Chinese? Anyone have any photos of a recent one?)
No recent photos or experiences with the Chinese meal?

I pre-ordered one, but I may cancel my preorder.. my understanding is that it is available anyways like any other meal (so long as they don't run out); not-preordering gives me a choice of whatever looks best.

Preordering 'guarantees' it for me, but doesn't mean I'll like what's in there. I suppose I could always ask to switch if it is awful... Any tips?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
No recent photos or experiences with the Chinese meal?

I pre-ordered one, but I may cancel my preorder.. my understanding is that it is available anyways like any other meal (so long as they don't run out); not-preordering gives me a choice of whatever looks best.

Preordering 'guarantees' it for me, but doesn't mean I'll like what's in there. I suppose I could always ask to switch if it is awful... Any tips?
I asked this question before as well and also didn't see a definitive answer, other than not pre ordering and just getting what looks good on board (which is what I'll do).

The Chinese meal certainly doesn't seem to get the same rave reviews as the ex-NRT Japanese meal.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I asked this question before as well and also didn't see a definitive answer, other than not pre ordering and just getting what looks good on board (which is what I'll do).

The Chinese meal certainly doesn't seem to get the same rave reviews as the ex-NRT Japanese meal.
Just remembered I was on two flights to HKG (where the Chinese meal is offered) a little over a year ago... I'm sure the menus have changed, but at least it gives you an idea of what you're in for I suppose:

SEA -> HKG:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26583572-post4005.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26583610-post4006.html

HKG -> SEA:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26591447-post4017.html

According to the menu, the soups are the same for Chinese vs Western selection. On one flight, a marinated duck appetizer replaces the salad, and Kung Pao Chicken with Fried Rice is the main.

On the other flight, a Chinese cucumber salad replaces the western mixed green salad, and Cantonese BBQ Pork is the main.

Both of those sound pretty good, so I guess I'll leave my pre-order in place for now and hope for the best ;-) Will of course report back!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just remembered I was on two flights to HKG (where the Chinese meal is offered) a little over a year ago... I'm sure the menus have changed, but at least it gives you an idea of what you're in for I suppose:

SEA -> HKG:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26583572-post4005.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26583610-post4006.html

HKG -> SEA:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26591447-post4017.html

According to the menu, the soups are the same for Chinese vs Western selection. On one flight, a marinated duck appetizer replaces the salad, and Kung Pao Chicken with Fried Rice is the main.

On the other flight, a Chinese cucumber salad replaces the western mixed green salad, and Cantonese BBQ Pork is the main.

Both of those sound pretty good, so I guess I'll leave my pre-order in place for now and hope for the best ;-) Will of course report back!
Please do report back, as I have the same flight next month!

Of course, as someone who grew up on my mom's home-made Chinese/Malaysian hybrid cooking, anything referring to Kung Pao chicken as Chinese makes me shudder a little bit...
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DLORDFLYER
DL Connection (Skywest) 4604
SLC-ORD
7/17/16
Dinner

This abomination was probably the worst meal I've had in my entire life. The flight attendant didn't know what it was other than a "salad." It contained soggy and wet cold chicken, some bean, bland potatoes, hard boiled eggs and some milk (???) When I opened the crackers, they fell all into the dish. Took two bites and called it good.

I'm surprised Delta is considering an upgraded meal. I would be embarrassed, Delta!
Please send an email to Delta and ask them what this was suppose to be... and let us know Delta's response!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:09 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Hi,

We'll be flying with my 2 year old daughter AMS-EWR in a few weeks, in business class.
Does anyone have an idea what the toddler/child meal is on a transatlantic business class?

thanks
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
DL435 JFK-SFO
B757-200
July 2016

Business Class (DeltaOne)

Great service and dinner. Steak was perfectly cooked to medium and quite tender. Unfortunately, it looks like some of the more premium drink selections are no longer offered on DeltaOne transcon.

Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
DL 808: MSP-BOS
Equipment: 737-900ER
Meal: Breakfast
Distance: 1124 miles, block time: 2h46

If you look over my flight log, you'll see DL808 pop up more often than any other flight. Probably more than 30 times over the past five years. Out of all those, this is the first time I scored the UG on the flight — and of course it came truly on the battlefield, after I boarded when the GA came onboard and pulled me up. Love that.

Entree: Turkey, egg and cheese flatbread
Side: Fresh fruit
"Dessert:" Strawberry Greek yogurt
Drink: Orange juice

The flight started with full PDBs, including for me despite getting pulled up just a few minutes before takeoff. FAs were regularly available in the aisles and were timely with drinks and food. Heading to a full day of work so no booze, but I had plenty of OJ, which was appreciated.

The food itself was good, though not spectacular. The other choice was Cheerios with a warm croissant. I'm not a huge breakfast guy, so this was plenty of food for me. If I were more into breakfast, though, it was pretty light.

Another solid flight was Delta. Now I just have to see what I'm going to be stuck with on my flight home. No C+ or F seats available at the GM window. Ugh.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by DLORDFLYER
DL Connection (Skywest) 4604
SLC-ORD
7/17/16
Dinner

This abomination was probably the worst meal I've had in my entire life. The flight attendant didn't know what it was other than a "salad." It contained soggy and wet cold chicken, some bean, bland potatoes, hard boiled eggs and some milk (???) When I opened the crackers, they fell all into the dish.
The FA on my flight called it a "smoked Turkey salad with edamame." I ordered it thinking it was actually a salad. It was beyond revolting and sent the whole tray back except the packet of crackers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Independent
Do the flight attendants get something that actually says what the meal is supposed to be, or are they simply left to guess by looking at it as the rest of us are?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Do the flight attendants get something that actually says what the meal is supposed to be, or are they simply left to guess by looking at it as the rest of us are?
They have what are called MAPS (Meal and Plating Sheets) for D1/J and something very similar (with full descriptions for each rotation in the current cycle, but no plating instructions, since they aren't needed) in domestic F. So yes, they know or at least have access to the information.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
that DOES look good!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
LGA->ATL
8am on a Sunday

Chose cold option. Was delicious.

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
ATL-SXM
737-700 (not my favorite plane or FC seat plus the tiny in-seat TV monitors)
Breakfast

Quasi PDB (FA was pushing mimosas on everyone and nothing else, but if you asked you could have whatever you wanted. I went for just sparking wine as I hate the sugary airplane OJ).

Choice of quiche (again?! I just had quiche on LGA-ATL) or oatmeal.

The quiche on this flight was much better than LGA-ATL and was almost a southwestern style quiche with chorizo and black beans.

Had the exact same choices on DL498 (JFK-SLC) yesterday although on my flight the bagel was Sesame and catering was less generous with potatoes. Choice of "eggs" or oatmeal, but by the time she got to me in Row 3 it was "eggs" or "eggs." Could have been good if it was not so overcooked which caused the eggs to become tasteless and gray looking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.