Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
When they added snack basket for C+, they took it away for F flights less than 1500 miles.
Is this confirmed? My recent experiences make it seem likely.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
IMO the snack basket has always been tacky. It's basically gas station snacks in a basket. I think that F should have individually plated and prepped fresh food snacks for flights that are too short for a meal. Things like cheese & fruit plates, or yogurt and a fresh pastry for morning flights, etc. And personally, on flights with a meal, I don't need a snack basket in addition to the meal. If it's a really long flight (5 hours +) then do something classy like warm cookie service later in the flight.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
IMO the snack basket has always been tacky. It's basically gas station snacks in a basket. I think that F should have individually plated and prepped fresh food snacks for flights that are too short for a meal. Things like cheese & fruit plates, or yogurt and a fresh pastry for morning flights, etc. And personally, on flights with a meal, I don't need a snack basket in addition to the meal. If it's a really long flight (5 hours +) then do something classy like warm cookie service later in the flight.
Dream on. I too would love some actual food (like maybe a small salad plate or a sandwich or your breakfast pastry) on flights over maybe 400 miles or so, but it ain't gonna happen unless forced by competition, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. It's absurd that one can be on a 2:30 duration flight leaving at 1700 with nothing more substantial than some chips or cookies (meaning actual dinner gets pushed back to around 2100 or thereabouts), but that's the way the world is these days.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Dream on. I too would love some actual food (like maybe a small salad plate or a sandwich or your breakfast pastry) on flights over maybe 400 miles or so, but it ain't gonna happen unless forced by competition, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
A year ago I would have totally agreed with you. However, the current trend seems to be pointing toward service improvement, especially in premium cabins.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
Is this confirmed? My recent experiences make it seem likely.
If you read the Delta website, you'll see the wording is like this:

(For flights less than 1500 miles)

Between 5:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. enjoy a full meal on flights 900-1399 miles. Between 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m., enjoy a hearty selection of snacks.
Between 5:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. enjoy a full meal on flights 1400-1499 miles and after 8:00 p.m., enjoy a hearty selection of snacks.
(For flights over 1500 miles)
No matter what time you fly, you’ll have a hearty selection of snacks, including fresh fruit, peanuts, chips, candy pretzels and cookies.
Plus, look for our growing roster of locally-sourced treats on select flights, such as delectable Sea-Salted Caramel gelato from Atlanta’s own Honeysuckle Gelato on long-haul flights from Atlanta.
Additionally, you’ll have a menu of satisfying full meals to choose from when you fly between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m., and hot snacks available between 8 and 9 p.m.
Which was the point I was trying to make. Flights under 900 miles, it's snacks for F and nothing for C+. Flights over 900 miles it's snacks OR meal in F, snacks in C+. Over 1500 miles, meals in F and snacks in C+ and F.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
^ I route through DTW often and I just think the snack basket is tacky. Some of the selections are nice (Biscoffs), but it reminds me too much of the US Airways Shuttle. I'd take a small plate of veggies and humus during the afternoon or yogurt and granola for breakfast rather than the shrink-wrapped junk food.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
TBH, I just wish that on flights over 900 miles we received $10 waivers or a free item on the flight fuel menu in W, as far as any lesser flights. come on, just give us the basket already -I mean honestly, how much would that cost?

As far as F, I second jrdtravel.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold
A year ago I would have totally agreed with you. However, the current trend seems to be pointing toward service improvement, especially in premium cabins.
Would be nice. However, there are enough people like me who will jump at a decent GAP fare at present degraded levels of service that I'm not seeing DL feeling compelled to step up their F-cabin game on short flights (and see how I blamed myself?).
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
This was the "salad" in D1 on Thursday, DTW-NRT. I think there are more croutons than any vegetable on the plate, weeds excluded.

Upleveling service standards? Not here.

(And yes, this was before ANY consumption of the "salad.")

Last edited by DL-Don; Aug 26, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum
Any news if Delta is planning to upgrade/improve catering when it rolls out the new fancy Italian serve ware?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by DL-Don
This was the "salad" in D1 on Thursday, DTW-NRT. I think there are more croutons than any vegetable on the plate, weeds excluded.

Upleveling service standards? Not here.

(And yes, this was before ANY consumption of the "salad.")
Lol, had a variation of it on Tuesday MSP-AMS, "Arugula bread crumb salad" with yellow and red tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, basil chiffonade, sliced red onion and red wine vinaigrette. (The soup on the picture is corn and green chili bisque with cilantro lime sauce)
Please help me spot the kalamata olives and more then one slice of red onion

As the "summer 2016" BE-US-AMS menu is sadly the same now for three months it's easy to prepare yourself. Had some good ribs and other BBQ in Memphis before this flight
Lovely, familiar MSP based crew though.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:22 am

Ams-msp, dl0161 aug 2016

AMS-MSP, DL0161, A330-300, Seat 1C
14AUG16

Smooth flight. Pleasant, experienced and professional crew. Would see 'Kathy' one FA's back as the purser on the 23AUG16 MSP-AMS DL0162 flight. Summer 2016 menu is still there so no surprises with the catering.

Settling in: Tandoori Chicken with eggplant caviar, kalamata olives, greek yogurt and pita bread.
Chicken & eggplant tasted good. The pita bread was way too hard and probally prepared as hardtack during the civil war.

Starters: Wheatberry and Farmer's Cheese Salad with grilled zucchini and tomato with fresh lemon together with the well known all so familiar Thai Coconut Soup.
Had a hard time finding any wheat berries in that salad
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:26 am

Main Course: Spinach and ricotta stuffed chicken with tomato soufflé, summer vegetable sauté and chicken jus. Tasted way better then it looked. Liked it.

Desserts: Am kind of a sweeth tooth and like cheese so asked if it was possible to be greedy. Ended up with the Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae, White and Milk Chocolate Mousse Gnocchi and clogged arteries on a plate

Almost there:
Was a choice between French Dip roast beef sandwich and a Mezze plate
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Lol, had a variation of it on Tuesday MSP-AMS, "Arugula bread crumb salad" with yellow and red tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, basil chiffonade, sliced red onion and red wine vinaigrette. (The soup on the picture is corn and green chili bisque with cilantro lime sauce)
Please help me spot the kalamata olives and more then one slice of red onion

As the "summer 2016" BE-US-AMS menu is sadly the same now for three months it's easy to prepare yourself. Had some good ribs and other BBQ in Memphis before this flight
Lovely, familiar MSP based crew though.
Sad, truly sad.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
At least they served the pretzel rolls; love those things

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.