Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LAX-JFK
DL One
A333
Breakfast

PDB: everyone else is asked the usual: sparkling wine, OJ, Mimosa. FA gets to me and says "All set?" I reply "I'll have champagne" and she proceeds to 8A and delivers his request for sparkling wine. I waive down another FA and mention I was skipped over and the original PDB FA says "Oh, gosh I thought you said you were all set" and I replied "No, I said I would have champagne/sparkling wine".

Initial meal service (you'll notice there is no beverage in this photo because this crew did not think to put champagne or wine or anything other than water or OJ on the "bar cart")

Omelette was fine.....pretty boring for what DL touts as an amazing/exclusive DL1 experience (champagne finally had arrived):

Service was lousy (at least on my side).....I had to deliver my dirty napkin and tray linen back to the galley because no one was checking in on the right side aisle. In all honestly the Flight Leader was really good, but she only looked after the left aisle.

7,500 SkyPesos.....would never pay for DL1 Breakfast flight again.
There's no way that I would take stuff like that back to the galley. That's what the call button is there for.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It's interesting to me that the menu is almost Delta One level but not quite. It is surprising to me that it is cost effective (assuming that it is) to have a whole special meal category for this route: Nicer than domestic F but not D1. Does any other route offer this particular kind of menu? Maybe, IIRC, some of the business class non D1 routes to central America?
I had a very similar looking meal in F on ATL-CTG in March...

I was a bit surprised a flight so short would have such an elaborate service - on a 738, no less.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
would never pay for DL1 Breakfast flight again.
Yeah, IMO breakfast is the least "luxurious" of the D1 TCON meals.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Yeah, IMO breakfast is the least "luxurious" of the D1 TCON meals.
If they turned it into a true 'brunch' type service it could be done so much better, but US airlines refuse to do this for some reason.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed that the omelettes are tired. I think they burned us all out on them when for so many years the only option was an omelette or Cheerios. There are so many good options for brunch service that would do well on at 30K feet: smoked fish, chicken and waffles, quiche, french toast. I think we all need a 3 or 4 year break from the Delta omelette.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Agreed that the omelettes are tired. I think they burned us all out on them when for so many years the only option was an omelette or Cheerios. There are so many good options for brunch service that would do well on at 30K feet: smoked fish, chicken and waffles, quiche, french toast. I think we all need a 3 or 4 year break from the Delta omelette.
At least the lunch and dinner options are changed. Contrast that with AA who is still serving the same tired old steak with Mac and cheese for what seems like the better part of a decade...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
At least the lunch and dinner options are changed. Contrast that with AA who is still serving the same tired old steak with Mac and cheese for what seems like the better part of a decade...
Yes, variety on DL is much better.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Well, the D1 breakfast service usually does have some smoked salmon as part of the appetizer, and there is always a pancake/waffle/french toast option as an alternative to the omelette. But there is only so much that can be done to fancy up airplane breakfast food, especially when eggs usually don't stand up so well to airplane reheating.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

JFK-SFO
3 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

Had a chance to experience the new Delta One transcon menu over the weekend. I will post separately on the return flight from SFO but long story short, the ex-California flights appear to still be using the same menu that has been in place for a few years now.

The ex-JFK menu is exactly the same as the trans-Atlantic menu posted here, with a few items removed: no soup, no chicken leg option, no Opera Cake, and no option for strawberry ice cream or orange butter "scotch". (And no second meal, though the warm chocolate chip cookie is still offered later in the flight.)

I have read that the FAs serving the trans-Atlantic routes ex-JFK with the special Danny Meyer meals are required to get special training on how to prepare and serve the food so as to meet Danny Meyer standards. I have no idea how true that is or how extensive the training is if so, but regardless, it would appear that the same rule does not apply to the FAs on the transcon routes: I was in 1A and could hear the FAs chatting in the galley before takeoff about how confused they were by the new menu and how uncertain they were of how everything was meant to go together.

For example, the lead FA also pointed out the fennel in the chocolate sauce on the sundae to everyone, saying, "It's a little crazy, but I tried a bit and it wasn't bad." The promised roasted marcona almonds also never appeared despite being listed on the menu, though there had been some catering glitches that were getting sorted out during boarding, so those might just have never been loaded. Overall it was still a great crew (I gave the lead FA a JWD cert), but this was kind of a case in point for those who argue on here that Delta has made the meals too fancy; the FAs were clearly not playing it as a luxury restaurant.

All that said, the food was good, and a nice change from the old menu. It is significantly less food since the appetizer course is no longer such a feast, which is probably fine considering how huge the old meals are, though it makes for an odd imbalance with the eastbound flights still offering the old menu. It also didn't feel quite as luxurious as some of the trans-Atlantic Danny Meyer meals have; the short rib cannelloni was delicious but felt like something you might be offered for a normal domestic first meal on a good day.

The shrimp and egg mayonnaise, subject to much speculation upthread, was basically some shrimps with a hard-boiled egg cut in half and covered with some spices. Based on the PR picture I wonder if there was supposed to be a mayonnaise sauce poured over the eggs that the FAs forgot, because there was nothing identifiably mayonnaise on the plate.

Dessert is a nice upgrade though, with a proper sundae now available instead of just gelato.

In case anyone is curious, I also overhead the FAs discussing how many meals they had available, which was interesting: there were 8 people in D1 out of 16 seats, and apparently the FAs had 8 of the short rib, 9 of the trout, and 8 of the pasta meals available, which seemed quite generous for such a light load -- all of the crew was sampling the new meals as well after the passengers were done. No idea if Delta might just cater for a full load despite the half-empty cabin; it seems like those meal counts would be a healthy amount of redundancy even for 16 passengers.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

[QUOTE=bgriff;27172598]JFK-SFO
3 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

Sorry also forgot to post the pictures.
Attached Images    
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
JFK-SFO
3 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

Sorry also forgot to post the pictures.
I have to say that looks pretty disappointing for a transcon J meal. That egg app looks kinda strange, definitely nothing like the marketing material, and the main looks pretty much like a standard domestic F dinner.

Last edited by cmd320; Sep 6, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
But there is only so much that can be done to fancy up airplane breakfast food
There may be limits, but Delta has a long, long way to go before reaching those limits.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

SFO-JFK
5 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

On the way home from SFO the meal was more familiar, appears little or nothing has changed from the longstanding menu. Appetizer offered a salad featuring apricots, parmesan, and pecans, and a platter including eggplant, prosciutto-basil rotola, carrot caponata, and lentil spread. I went for the cedar plank salmon as a main, and gelato, now served in a container rather than scooped in a bowl, for dessert.

Not sure if it was just an off day or what but having had this exact meal before, I remember it being better. Crew was also a bit off -- bread basket wasn't offered until main course arrived, and the lead FA took orders from the back on an even-numbered flight (fortunately I still got my first choice). I hadn't been on the transcon services for over a year so maybe I had just developed overly rosy memories of how the food was.
Attached Images    
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
FWIW, I flew JFK-SFO in December and the ice-cream was scooped in the bowl. I'd guess a lazy crew in your case.

SFO-JFK
5 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

On the way home from SFO the meal was more familiar, appears little or nothing has changed from the longstanding menu. Appetizer offered a salad featuring apricots, parmesan, and pecans, and a platter including eggplant, prosciutto-basil rotola, carrot caponata, and lentil spread. I went for the cedar plank salmon as a main, and gelato, now served in a container rather than scooped in a bowl, for dessert.

Not sure if it was just an off day or what but having had this exact meal before, I remember it being better. Crew was also a bit off -- bread basket wasn't offered until main course arrived, and the lead FA took orders from the back on an even-numbered flight (fortunately I still got my first choice). I hadn't been on the transcon services for over a year so maybe I had just developed overly rosy memories of how the food was.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I actually quite like the new D1 North End Grill menu from JFK and prefer it to the recent Union Square creations from the summer...entrees are simpler and less fussy, hence more difficult to mess up on an airplane. Have tried both Short Rib cannelloni and the pink sea trout and can recommend both...

Menu should be available in D1 out of JFK to LAX, SFO, LHR, DUB, AMS, BRU, CDG, FRA, and ZRH.

http://news.delta.com/video-ny-s-nor...ht-delta-fall2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.