Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Independent
ATL to BOS
7:30pm (scheduled, anyways)

Sorry about both the overall quality as well as presentation - started poking at it before remembering to take a picture. Options were Beef or Chicken Noodle Salad. I asked if it had peanuts and what kind of noodles - he said ramen like and wasn't sure of the nuts. Only abut half the cabin bothered to take a meal, and most ordered the beef (which I should have done). But past experience said the beef would likely be dry and tasteless, so I tried the chicken. Big mistake.

It was terrible. Had some kind of broth/sauce to it, but was cold. No flavor to the noodles, tasted mostly of the broccoli. I don't think it was chicken, I think it was turkey, or very dry and stringy and tasteless chicken if it really was. There was some pink stuff too I didn't dare touch - I think it may have been salmon or something. Nuts on the side, a packet of sweet/sour sauce and bread sticks. I tried the brownie at least, even that was old and dry. Didn't end up eating anything of it whatsoever. My first major strikeout on Delta airplane food.

Last edited by Cloudship; Jul 21, 2016 at 6:17 am Reason: Fix Image
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
DL 275
DTW-NRT
07/07/16

Leg 2 of my trip from MCI to PVG with stops in DTW and NRT.
I had pre-booked the Japanese meal option and it was very good. Also posted is the Summer 2016 D1 Menu for this westbound trip.

For 'almost there', I choose the Southwestern Frittata.
Attached Images         
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ATL 6am
M88
PDB
Breakfast choice of: spinach quiche (pronounced "kish" by FA) or fruit plate with smoked salmon.

Funniest part was the person in front of me literally says: "Who eats that? Where's the normal food?"

I'm trying the "kish" which the FA said is actually pretty good lol.

Updated: the quiche was good and came with chopped tomatoes and red onions on the side in it's own ramekin. The Bantam bagels were delish and the fruit was great. Presentation was much better than AA's AM quiche dish.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jul 20, 2016 at 6:47 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ATL 6am
M88
PDB
Breakfast choice of: spinach quiche (pronounced "kish" by FA) or fruit plate with smoked salmon.

Funniest part was the person in front of me literally says: "Who eats that? Where's the normal food?"

I'm trying the "kish" which the FA said is actually pretty good lol.

Updated: the quiche was good and came with chopped tomatoes and red onions on the side in it's own ramekin. The Bantam bagels were delish and the fruit was great. Presentation was much better than AA's AM quiche dish.
He has a point. DL has gotten overly creative with its food. Keep it simple with airplane food.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Current Delta's Pretzels and peanuts are going out.
In: Naturebox thingies, Snyder's pretzels and Emeraldnuts cashews?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
He has a point. DL has gotten overly creative with its food. Keep it simple with airplane food.
Personally I think those sound like much better options than the typical breakfast choices. A quiche would reheat a lot better than an omelette IMO, and I don't really think there is anything overly creative about quiche or smoked salmon.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
DL Connection (Skywest) 4604
SLC-ORD
7/17/16
Dinner

This abomination was probably the worst meal I've had in my entire life. The flight attendant didn't know what it was other than a "salad." It contained soggy and wet cold chicken, some bean, bland potatoes, hard boiled eggs and some milk (???) When I opened the crackers, they fell all into the dish. Took two bites and called it good.

I'm surprised Delta is considering an upgraded meal. I would be embarrassed, Delta!
Attached Images  

Last edited by DLORDFLYER; Jul 20, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta 1792
ATL-SAN
7/15/16
Lunch

As most DL FFers will be familiar, it's the infamous sausage/pepperoni calzone - which is average. The DL ATL based FA was very attentive and made sure drinks/snack basket were passed around frequently.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:51 pm

Forgive me if I've missed something recent for these flights - the latest I could find was 2010, but I'm struggling with the search. Just trying to get a feel for meals as I pack my carry-on. :-) Flying F on Delta, MSP -> LAX, then LAX -> HNL. Return is HNL -> SEA, then SEA -> MSP. Any idea what we're looking at for meals? Both flights outbound show "lunch." On the return, red eye shows snack, final leg shows lunch. Same offerings on all flights? Thanks for your time!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tulips*n*truffles
Forgive me if I've missed something recent for these flights - the latest I could find was 2010, but I'm struggling with the search. Just trying to get a feel for meals as I pack my carry-on. :-) Flying F on Delta, MSP -> LAX, then LAX -> HNL. Return is HNL -> SEA, then SEA -> MSP. Any idea what we're looking at for meals? Both flights outbound show "lunch." On the return, red eye shows snack, final leg shows lunch. Same offerings on all flights? Thanks for your time!
Lunch will be a full meal on par with other domestic lunch/dinner service posted in this thread. There will be two choices, and probably one of them will be hot. A snack typically means only one smaller option, like a cold sandwich with chips and a cookie, or something along those lines. What time does your redeye depart? If it departs between 8 and 9pm there is usually snack service, otherwise, if it's later, it is typically just the snack basket that is passed around with salty and sweet packaged snacks, though it should say "refreshments" and not "snack" if this is the case.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ATL-SXM
737-700 (not my favorite plane or FC seat plus the tiny in-seat TV monitors)
Breakfast

Quasi PDB (FA was pushing mimosas on everyone and nothing else, but if you asked you could have whatever you wanted. I went for just sparking wine as I hate the sugary airplane OJ).

Choice of quiche (again?! I just had quiche on LGA-ATL) or oatmeal.

The quiche on this flight was much better than LGA-ATL and was almost a southwestern style quiche with chorizo and black beans.

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLORDFLYER
DL Connection (Skywest) 4604
SLC-ORD
7/17/16
Dinner

This abomination was probably the worst meal I've had in my entire life. The flight attendant didn't know what it was other than a "salad." It contained soggy and wet cold chicken, some bean, bland potatoes, hard boiled eggs and some milk (???) When I opened the crackers, they fell all into the dish. Took two bites and called it good.

I'm surprised Delta is considering an upgraded meal. I would be embarrassed, Delta!
This makes me want to throw up....is that really milk? barf
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This makes me want to throw up....is that really milk? barf
I agree that looks absolutely vile. It's what I picture a pig trough would contain.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:22 am

Quasi PDB (FA was pushing mimosas on everyone and nothing else, but if you asked you could have whatever you wanted.
This is standard for international flights. Sparkling wine is not served on domestic routes, so the champagne (or whatever sparkling they use) service is considered a special/upgraded aperitif for these routes.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Delta ATL-VCE, 16JUL
767-400

Food was all decent, nothing crazy. Plated nicely. Guac starter was heavy on the garlic, but enjoyable. Soup and salad were unmemorable, but not offensive. Halibut was moist and flaky and well accompanied.

Crew were excellent, with a really junior looking FA on my aisle who seemed seriously happy to be there.

764s are fine and recently had a slight refresh with new seat covers and touch-ups to the finishes, but two lavs for 40 J passengers is insane. I ended up walking back to coach to use the lav twice due to long lines (15+ min). Thankfully didn't run into this problem:

Settling In: Farro Guacamole served in a wonton cup with pita chips, carrots, jicama, and cucumber sticks

Starters: Spring Mix Salad with carrot, candied cashews, red and yellow pear tomatoes, zucchini, and watermelon radish

Corn and Green Chili Bique

Main Course: Pan Seared Halibut with gingered cream corn, sugar snap peas, and red bell pepper sauce

Dessert: Cheesecake Tart and Cypress Grove Midnight Moon and Kaltbach Guryere Cheeses

Breakfast: Opted for just a croissant and fruit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.