Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Okay, question. Aren't all the meals (except for breakfast) supposed to have some sort of 'desert' item served? Even the pastrami sandwich on long late night flights got a cookie or something. The reason I ask is because our ATL-SLC flight on Dec 31st didn't have anything. No ice cream, no dancing deer packaged treat, nothing. Only one pass at the snack basket about an hour after dinner. This confused me, but I never really bothered to ask because the FAs were only occasionally present in F, and I didn't want to go find one just to ask. But even our very-delayed flight the week prior managed to get dessert. And that flight was originally catered for breakfast, weather held us for about 6 hours, crew told us not to expect to be recatered; lo and behold they come around about half an hour after takeoff serving us the cheese ravioli, and it had peppermint ice cream. Anyway. Was that an anomaly, that we didn't get dessert? A mixup with catering? Laziness by the cabin crew? Should I try to get compensation? (haha )
I think that you should have some sort of dessert, transcon it has been prepackaged Ice Cream/Gelato (sp?), but catering mistakes can and do happen.

A recent AA flight, catering somehow managed to load 1/2 the amount of entrees they were supposed to or a previous DELTA flight where catering loaded 11 domestic (non-transcon) entree and one DELTA1 International Entree.

Mistake happen, but in answer to your question unless things changesd as of late, you should have had dessert.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Any recent experience DL CDG-ATL on 8 AM flight (J)? Do they have a lunch option in addition to the breakfast like the early flight from LHR?

Also (and I know this is the DL forum), how is dinner on KL in J? Flying ATL-AMS in a couple weeks. I flew AF recently and dinner was great but no recent experience with KL.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Any recent experience DL CDG-ATL on 8 AM flight (J)? Do they have a lunch option in addition to the breakfast like the early flight from LHR?

Also (and I know this is the DL forum), how is dinner on KL in J? Flying ATL-AMS in a couple weeks. I flew AF recently and dinner was great but no recent experience with KL.
Just flew the 8A CDG-ATL flight yesterday. They advertised it as a brunch service. Smoked salmon and then a fruit/yogurt plate for an appetizer. The main course offered a chicken breast (lunch option), omelette, french toast (which is what I had - delicious!), or a cold plate. The prearrival snack was a choice between a cuban sandwich or a chicken satay plate (I had the cuban - it was pretty good).

Great service from an ATL-based crew!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Just flew the 8A CDG-ATL flight yesterday. They advertised it as a brunch service. Smoked salmon and then a fruit/yogurt plate for an appetizer. The main course offered a chicken breast (lunch option), omelette, french toast (which is what I had - delicious!), or a cold plate. The prearrival snack was a choice between a cuban sandwich or a chicken satay plate (I had the cuban - it was pretty good).

Great service from an ATL-based crew!
Great, chicken it is! Have breakfast on my flight into CDG so I did not want another one.

Dissapointed that DL still owns the Salmon farm, though. Last several flights had Salmon app.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by kmersh
I think that you should have some sort of dessert, transcon it has been prepackaged Ice Cream/Gelato (sp?), but catering mistakes can and do happen.

A recent AA flight, catering somehow managed to load 1/2 the amount of entrees they were supposed to or a previous DELTA flight where catering loaded 11 domestic (non-transcon) entree and one DELTA1 International Entree.

Mistake happen, but in answer to your question unless things changesd as of late, you should have had dessert.
Okay, that's what I thought. But I mean, if they can get a last-minute recater for our delayed flight from breakfast to lunch, you'd think a normally-scheduled on-time no-problem flight would have had at least a cookie. Oh well. Service was lousy that evening, it took ages for them to start taking orders, only one pass at the snack basket, and after I was given my food, the FA came back a minute or two later and sort of thrust a plate with a roll in front of me. I guess I should just count my lucky stars, because even the bread/rolls have been hit-or-miss.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I just flew with KL on 438/439 in J to BAH from AMS. There's a trip report on it in the forum. The meal service was very nice. By no means is it a 'wow' or 'luxury' experience, but the food tasted great. I had a salmon starter which I enjoyed, a thai chicken that was very good and a decent cheese plate. Mid flight snack was the meat pie which I really enjoyed. On the way back, I slept the entire way from AUH to AMS because the flight didn't leave until 0100. The 787 is a great way to fly.

Also flew on DL 125 from AMS to BOS yesterday. As an AA flyer, I was really impressed with DL's offering. The BOS based FAs were fantastic. Unfortunately, the food wasn't hot, it was just warm, which is always a disappointment. Below are the photos from the meal service:

Menu

Beef Starter - not good (cold and lacking flavor)

Salad Course - very nice and a hearty soup.

Port Main Course - Excellent flavor, just wish it was served hotter in temperature. Oh and more Brussel sprouts. Cod was also very popular.

Cheese plate - honey was an excellent addition

Pre-Arrival Meal - Chicken Sticks - also not good, lacking in any flavor.

All in all a very nice flight. I'll definitely be looking at DL more as AA seems to be circling around the toilet in terms of service standards.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:58 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Also flew on DL 125 from AMS to BOS yesterday. As an AA flyer, I was really impressed with DL's offering. The BOS based FAs were fantastic.
Having done AMS-BOS-AMS over a dozen times (perhaps more) in Delta One (Business Elie) I must agree. Some really good flight attendants.

I have been quite pleased with the offerings in Delta One. Makes me a "bit sad" I a shifting towards BA (and BA Gold) this year. But, you know what they say, "change is good."

I'm not particularly looking forward to the AA 757 AMS-PHL-AMS, at the end of the month. But, thankfully, most of my OneWorld will be BA and CX and NOT AA.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
NRT - BKK
DEC 2015

MAIN COURSE

Coconut Chicken Curry
with mixed vegetables

Beef Stir-Fry
with noodles and broccoli

Red Snapper
with lime and mango sauce and glazed vegetables

Chilled Plate
sushi assortment with shrimp and mackerel, mini sandwich
with pork and liver pate, pickled vegetables and fried pumpkin
served with yogurt and mayonnaise sauce

All meals served with:
Mixed Green Salad
with hakata chicken, snow peas,
cucumbers, celery and red onion
served with sesame dressing

Chocolate Nut Mousse
and Assorted Breads and Rice

ALMOST THERE

Roast Beef Sandwich
served with cheese and crackers and seasonal fresh fruit

Tonkotsu Ramen
ramen noodles with roasted pork
served with cloud ear mushroom, green onion garnish
and seasonal fresh fruit

= = = = = = = =

BKK - NRT
JAN 2016

MAIN COURSE

French Toast
stuffed with blueberries and cream cheese
serve with bacon and maple syrup

Massaman Chicken
with streamed rice and sautéed vegetables

Cereal
with milk

All meals served with:
Seasonal Fresh Fruit, Flavored Yogurt
and Assorted Breads
with Butter and Preserves

ALMOST THERE

Chicken Breast
with mushroom cream sauce, linguine and ratatouille

Green Curry Beef
with jasmine rice and vegetables

All meals served with:
Mixed Green Salad and Opera Cake

Last edited by SmartSky; Jan 10, 2016 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-AUA
A320
Breakfast

PDB of sparkling wine or OJ.....fine with me as long as an alcohol option is offered.

Choice of cheese omelet or another dish the FA couldn't really describe (sounded like an oatmeal dish?).

Service was actually pretty poor which is shocking for Delta......literally over an hour passes by without any cabin checks.

I finally walk my empty drink glasses up to the galley (which has been sitting empty for 1.5 hours) and the FA's joke that one is giving the other one a finance lesson.....wow great!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:59 pm

Does anyone have recent experience on red-eyes to Mexico?

I am on the 11:25 pm from LAX to CUN next week and the app says "Dinner" under meal service in Business. I can't imagine there is actually dinner served on this flight?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Cheese plate - honey was an excellent addition.
You should have also tried the dessert - the warm gingerbread pudding with vanilla sauce and vanilla ice cream on the side is absolutely fantastic!

Pre-Arrival Meal - Chicken Sticks - also not good, lacking in any flavor..
The Cuban Pork sandwich (the other pre-arrival meal selection this month) is much better - it's heavier but a lot tastier...

I'll definitely be looking at DL more as AA seems to be circling around the toilet in terms of service standards.
I had a few AA transatlantics in J in December and the food has really gone downhill - tasteless main courses, cheap appetizers and salads, no table cloths during the second service, etc.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
You should have also tried the dessert - the warm gingerbread pudding with vanilla sauce and vanilla ice cream on the side is absolutely fantastic!
Hi ClipperDelta; I did see that and it did look nice. I was just in the mood for cheese and I was very happy with the choice. The generous pours of the red blend went very well with the cheese

The Cuban Pork sandwich (the other pre-arrival meal selection this month) is much better - it's heavier but a lot tastier...
I noticed almost every-one else ordered that near me. The chicken sticks/'satay' were terrible. Do NOT recommend them.

I had a few AA transatlantics in J in December and the food has really gone downhill - tasteless main courses, cheap appetizers and salads, no table cloths during the second service, etc.
The service in general on AA has gone right down the toilet; not just the meals. And BA isn't any better for Atlantic crossings. AA's only redeeming quality for me is that the BOS-based crews are generally excellent. Thought, I was really impressed with DL and already booked them for upcoming domestic rides. It's sad when you're treated better as a Silver on DL than as an EXP on AA. I also liked the SkyClub offerings in BOS much more than AC.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:48 am

ATL-MDE-ATL - short-haul international, but there is a Main Cabin meal service (dinner ATL-MDE, breakfast MDE-ATL). Free alcohol in the Main Cabin or not?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by abefroman329
ATL-MDE-ATL - short-haul international, but there is a Main Cabin meal service (dinner ATL-MDE, breakfast MDE-ATL). Free alcohol in the Main Cabin or not?
Yep! Salud!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

AUA-JFK
73H (newly updated with the mood lighting, new seat covers (although no red widget branding like on the MD88, 717 etc, and newer/larger AVOD screens)
Lunch

Interesting that despite late catering and then closing the door early, the FAs still got out PDB of choice after the door closed. Usually they can't do a full PDB leaving the Caribbean but guess we got lucky!

Meals must be catered in Aruba because the catering did not look like typical Delta catering from the butter used, to the Ken's ranch salad dressing on the side, to the dessert option.

Choice of corkscrew pasta with tomato sauce (looked really good and wish I had gone with this).

Sliced Chicken with green beans and potato wedges on the side. The chicken had some nasty sweet compote on top of it along with (yuck!) raisins. Even after taking off the raisin sauce it still was way to sweet.

Service was good and attentive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.